Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Did anyone else absolutely HATE the Titans TV series?

I've only just managed to see all of it - and I absolutely HATED it. The violence and language all felt forced. It's dark tone was unpleasant and off putting. All the characters were horrendously unlikable. And most of all it looked CHEAP. And I mean REALLY CHEAP.

I'm confused as to why the makers thought it was a good idea to go for an adult audience - when this was always a comic book aimed at younger readers.

Honestly, I felt like I needed a bath after watching it. There was literally NOTHING entertaining about it!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm not done with it; I don't hate it but I don't love it. You care about the characters, even if Dick is too sour and Kory has no sense of who she is, so even when the action is cheap, you're still interested to see where the story goes. The best episodes are those with guest appearances. The Hawk & Dove episode, Jason Todd, and Doom Patrol episodes were the best. But it does try too hard often.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Yup it was pretty bad.

My biggest problem was that it was so darkity darkey dark. Is that dark enough. Did I mention it was trying so hard to be dark?

I mean we get it. You want to be"adult". But does every character have to talk in a monotone voice and suffers from some depression and trauma?

I mean I'm not even sure the sun exists in this universe as it was always grey or dark blue.

The acting was not good or characters likeable so I didn't really care about them. The only one I kinda like from the main cast was Dick. But even he was over done. When they brought in Jason they had to ramp him up to a criminal assaulting cops because Dick was already the dark Robin so what do you do with Jason? Plot and story was also boring and not told well.

The only thing this show did well was Donna. She actually had a personality, was fun to watch and wasn't character number 64 who was so depressed and darkity dark.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    . . . I'm confused as to why the makers thought it was a good idea to go for an adult audience - when this was always a comic book aimed at younger readers . . .
    Aside from the books based on the animated series (Teen Titans GO!), since when has a Titans / Teen Titans comic book been "aimed at younger readers"?
    I don't know if that's been the case since the last century!

I didn't hate it but it was for sure not for me or what I enjoy about the Titans.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 01-17-2019 at 08:54 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I liked it, it wasn't all that dark to me just bloody.

Astonishing Member

It's a lot better than what I expected and I'm neutral about it.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I hate that I can't watch it because it's not on Netflix in the U.S. and I refuse to pay $75 a year for a DC streaming service that I'm not sure I'd use that much outside of TITANS.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I hate that I can't watch it because it's not on Netflix in the U.S. and I refuse to pay $75 a year for a DC streaming service that I'm not sure I'd use that much outside of TITANS.

I mean...you still could...

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I mean...you still could...
    Not for $75 per year, I won't.

I know, I know...DC Streaming offers way more than TITANS. For people who watch that much, it likely is worth it...but I don't watch that much and most of the other fare they offer I already own on DVD.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Not for $75 per year, I won't.

I know, I know...DC Streaming offers way more than TITANS. For people who watch that much, it likely is worth it...but I don't watch that much and most of the other fare they offer I already own on DVD.

He ain't talking about watching it on the DC service, bro...

Nah, I think hating something takes too much negative energy and I'm probably way too lazy to do so.

BANNED

I disagree that Titans is aimed for a younger audience. Even at 14 I was pretty shaken by a lot of the early Wolfman Perez stuff and Johns took on serious plots that I probably wouldn't rec for kids even though you could consider that run "lighter."
    They're the Teen Titans, the book was meant for teens and up, as in adolescents who can handle more mature stories but still with youthful undertones

Titans doesn't really compliment that audience either though. I wouldn't say it was messy or that they screwed anything up story wise. I thought the season plot unraveled pretty naturally and didn't drag too much. The acting and dialogue were pretty bad but there was still an engaging plot and some cool fight scenes happening, alright choreography.

At the end of the day I didn't like the story they were telling, and their portrayals of the characters . Nothing against them and I hope it's successful because the Titans should be as popular as the League imo

Astonishing Member

Yeah, their model doesn't make much sense to me. I think a lot of us will wait until they have a year's worth of programming. Then sign up and binge watch it all in one month before cancelling subscription.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I disagree that Titans is aimed for a younger audience. Even at 14 I was pretty shaken by a lot of the early Wolfman Perez stuff and Johns took on serious plots that I probably wouldn't rec for kids even though you could consider that run "lighter."
    I liked the show for what it was, but it was hardly as dark as the original comics, which had issues of rape, addiction, etc. and, not too terribly long ago, went through a spate of punching Pantha's head off, ripping Risk's arm(s) off and bloodily death-visioning Bushido in half, among other gratuitous teen deaths. Oh, and there was Dr. Light and his issues with kids... Kid-friendly? Not so much.