Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Age of Characters

This is an area of interest for me, though to be honest, I really don't care much for the New 52 or Rebirth.

If we were to talk about New Earth, however...

According to official info, the first Crisis took place 6 years into the careers of Superman, Batman, etc. Zero Hour was Year 10. Infinite Crisis is supposed to be about year 13, which would make Final Crisis/Blackest Night/Flashpoint about Year 14.

Superman and Batman I think were both supposed to be around 25 during Superman: Secret Origins and Batman: Year One. Assuming Wonder Woman, GL, and everyone were around the same age, this would make them around 39 at the end.

I'm pretty sure Dick Grayson's age when he became Robin has been fairly fluid over the years. I'd be very interested in getting info on him and other OG-Titans-age characters, as well as the second-gen-sidekicks like Tim, Cassie, and Conner.

Some characters are easier than others. Beast Boy was reverted back to a teen by New 52 (most of the Titans were either de-aged or erased), which is impossible to reconcile with the apparently restored old continuity. He needs an age up. The same thing happened to Raven, but as she was explicitly de-aged once before, she's fine (they're both 17). Starfire is explicitly three years older than them, so she's 20. Tim Drake should be about 18, as he was about to go to college early on in Detective Comics Rebirth. Cassie Sandsmark is probably 17 or so. We know she's still at school.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-17-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I was just rereading Crisis on Infinite Earths, and Dick Grayson is mentioned as being 19. That would make him about 16 in Batman: Year Three.

Of course, if the Zero Hour timeline still applies, and the Crisis occured in Year 6, that means Dick was Robin for less than four years, which is surprising.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 01-25-2019 at 07:30 AM.

I like the Simpsons or Archie approach, where characters stop aging at their 'most useful storytelling age'.

So, for me, all the original JLA members would be in their late 20s/early 30s.
    The newer members that joined, starting with Zatanna up through JLI, would be in their 20s.

Young heroes would stay young until they no longer can be identified with the current audience, at which point they move up to their next age group and a new version arrives to connect with new readers.
    20 years of real time is a good amount of time for this change.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    I'm pretty sure Dick Grayson's age when he became Robin has been fairly fluid over the years. I'd be very interested in getting info on him and other OG-Titans-age characters, as well as the second-gen-sidekicks like Tim, Cassie, and Conner.
    OG Titans were 27 by the time Flashpoint hit. IIRC, all of them had the same age. Dick was 19 in COIE and Wally's first issue is his 19th birthday. Jump to OYL, Dick is 26 (so, six and half years between COIE and OYL). All the stuff from there to Flashpoint is pretty much condensed in year.

So, 27.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Amazing Member

That point about Zatanna is incorrect since Kyle Rather explicitly stated that Zatanna was old enough to be his mother during Archer's Quest.

Since her father has been arlund since before WWll, she must probably have slowed agoing due to magiccRCO084_1471337048.jpg

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectacus View Post
    That point about Zatanna is incorrect since Kyle Rather explicitly stated that Zatanna was old enough to be his mother during Archer's Quest.

Since her father has been arlund since before WWll, she must probably have slowed agoing due to magiccRCO084_1471337048.jpg
    Zatanna is explictly about the same age or a little younger than Bruce, but definately at least a few years older than Dick Grayson. Dick Grayson was in his early to mid 20s when Kyle became GL (at 25), so she'd be more "older sister" than "old enough to be his mom" (10-15 years older).

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    Dick Grayson was in his early to mid 20s when Kyle became GL (at 25), so she'd be more "older sister" than "old enough to be his mom" (10-15 years older).
    Do you have a source for this? There was a small discussion about this in Kyle's appreciation thread (the question who was older between Dick and Kyle) and there were responses, but I'm also interested in seeing panels establishing this. One poster, who's reading his run, mentioned that Kyle stated he's in his early 20's. Another poster mentioned that he's been said to be a bit younger than Wally.

---
    Even with a general sense of age for these characters, there's bound to be fluctuations with different writers, yeah? I'm not sure how in-continuity the GL 80-Page Giant is from 1998, but he teamed up with Zatanna in one of the stories and I definitely remember him hitting on her.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It's always going to be vague, but, in general, the modern age of superheroes is about 15 years ago, during which time the founding members of the Justice League were in their early twenties. Soon after, the original Teen Titans formed, whose members were all about 13.

This Google Doc lays out how I think it all works, with the notable exception of Jonathan Kent, whose aging has been wacky since his creation.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...iding-Timeline

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

During the Bronze Age, most superheroes were listed as being age 29. Besides the teens, you had some like Zatanna who were in their early '20s.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It's always going to be vague, but, in general, the modern age of superheroes is about 15 years ago, during which time the founding members of the Justice League were in their early twenties. Soon after, the original Teen Titans formed, whose members were all about 13.
    In the original comics they were iirc more 15-16 when the Titans were founded.

I have only really good knowledge about the ages when it comes to the Batfamily, but there the characters ages pretty inconsistently.
    - for Bruce was constantly in his early to mid 30s (and 25 in Batman Year One)
    - Selina was 19 in Batman Year One
    - Dick was had his 20th Birthday day during COIE and was 26 or 27 at the end of the continuity (but was according to the time line from the Nightwing Year One TPB already 26 before OYL)
    - Tim Drake was 13 when Dick was 21, but only 17 at the end of the continuity (so aged only 4 year in the time Dick aged 5 or 6 years)
    - Barbara went from being 2 or 3 older than Dick, to being the same age
    - Stephanie Brown was depending on the writer between the same age as Tim and two years older

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    OG Titans were 27 by the time Flashpoint hit.
    Is there a source for that?

IIRC, all of them had the same age. Dick was 19 in COIE and Wally's first issue is his 19th birthday.
    I think you mean 20th. I just looked that up. Indeed, Flash vol 2 #1 from 1987 was Wally's 20th birthday. Good call!

Jump to OYL, Dick is 26
    When does it specifically state that Dick is 26?

If so, that works out remarkably well. Crisis is supposed to take place in Year 6 (according to Infinity Crisis), and Infinite Crisis around Year (or 13 years after GL's debut, according to GL #3 from 2007). So yes, it's totally realiy works out that he could be 26! I'm so used to thinking comics have no continuity in this regard, that it's all just kind of random, but wow, that really makes me think someone in charge is actually paying attention!
    Last edited by Slimybug; 01-31-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    In the original comics they were iirc more 15-16 when the Titans were founded.

I have only really good knowledge about the ages when it comes to the Batfamily, but there the characters ages pretty inconsistently.
    - for Bruce was constantly in his early to mid 30s (and 25 in Batman Year One)
    - Selina was 19 in Batman Year One
    - Dick was had his 20th Birthday day during COIE and was 26 or 27 at the end of the continuity (but was according to the time line from the Nightwing Year One TPB already 26 before OYL)
    - Tim Drake was 13 when Dick was 21, but only 17 at the end of the continuity (so aged only 4 year in the time Dick aged 5 or 6 years)
    - Barbara went from being 2 or 3 older than Dick, to being the same age
    - Stephanie Brown was depending on the writer between the same age as Tim and two years older
    That's all awesome info, but do you know of any specific sources for those? Like, does it specifically mention Bruce and Selina's age in Year One, and so forth?

Especially Dick having his birthday during Crisis. I'm very curious where that would have been mentioned.

Astonishing Member

OG Titans were 27 by the time Flashpoint hit. IIRC, all of them had the same age. Dick was 19 in COIE and Wally's first issue is his 19th birthday. Jump to OYL, Dick is 26 (so, six and half years between COIE and OYL). All the stuff from there to Flashpoint is pretty much condensed in year.

So, 27.
    Wally's first issue is his 20th birthday. The idea being that he's no longer a "Teen" while all his old Teen Titans friends send him off.

Wally, amusingly, has a kind of concrete timeline. 20-25 is his entire time under Baron, WML, and Waid as Johns' first arc states Wally is 25. Then later on he says a year has passed before Blitz(referencing him and Linda being married iirc), then obviously a little less than a year at the end of Rogue War because Linda's full 9 months of pregnancy are up. So he's essentially 27 by the end of Johns' run. Then, in the alternate dimension they go to in Infinite Crisis, for Bart and everyone else (including Wally) 2 years passed so Bart could go from 16 to 18, making Wally 29 with his return in Lightning Saga.

By the time Flash Rebirth rolls around and Flashpoint happens, Wally should be just into his 30s. But I doubt any other member of his generation has such an empirical time table and that's probably incongruous with them. Also the alternate dimension thing not lining up one for one with the regular timeline since Bart aged up fast. So if Wally's 30, and the rest of his gen was the same age as him, they'd all be around 27-28. So good educated guess.
    Last edited by Dred; 01-31-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Fantastic Member

Just ignore. I misread it.
    Last edited by Rend20; 01-31-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: i screwed up