Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default Fantastic Four #6 - HERALD OF DOOM with SPOILERS

If anyone wants to post here about this week's issue feel free to post with spoilers here.

/URL]

How can anyone not be impressed by Ribic's cover. This needs to be a poster

Herald of Doom Part 1: In which we see...

The return of the Galactus of old (never read much of Al Ewing's Lifebringer version) and ...perhaps a regression of Doom also. In the case of the latter, I hope I am being premature since despite some of its' shortcomings, I liked the direction that Bendis was taking the character. I found Dan Slott's interviews on the subject to be encouraging but I remain a bit skeptical until this storyline unfolds.

As for the art, I thought Aaron Kuder really hit all the right notes in this month's outing. Kudos for remembering to bring back the Jack Kirby power syphon Doom first used on the Silver Surfer in FF #57

And with the return visit to Aunt Petunia's home in Benson, Arizona can Wendy and her mysterious friends still be hanging around? Nice to see that Uncle Jake Grimm is still alive. I can't recall the last time he ever appeared in the Fantastic Four. This is the sort of thing that Slott likes to do, dust off a bit of the past and give us some reminders of days gone by.

As for Victorious she seems to be getting the short end of things since it looks like the gift of the Power Cosmic is going to be short-lived. I hope her addition to the shrinking cast of Doom supporting characters isn't on the horizon. Or could she have the same arc as the Silver Surfer and end up being allied with the Fantastic Four instead? For now, the interaction between Doom and the reunited Fantastic Four was brief. Will Ben and Johnny stick up for Victor a bit since they did some adventuring together in MTIO? I guess will have to wait and see what version of Doom Slott gives us.

Overall, I give this issue a B. It was entertaining and it gave all the characters their own little moments, like Ben among the goatherd, a glimpse of Franklin's new hairstyle (is it blue or black?) and a reminder that Alicia is now a member of the family.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-17-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

This run still isn’t doing anything for me. Seems to safe and “back to normal” rather than cementing the team in the here and now. Like many, I’m not happy with what’s happened to Doom, too.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    This run still isn’t doing anything for me. Seems to safe and “back to normal” rather than cementing the team in the here and now. Like many, I’m not happy with what’s happened to Doom, too.
    Even thought he admits to being on board with the Doom that was evolving in Infamous Iron Man I also am waiting to see evidence of that. I think if you have Doom goes back to scheming to conquer Earth, it's a betrayal to any character development done in the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Even thought he admits to being on board with the Doom that was evolving in Infamous Iron Man I also am waiting to see evidence of that. I think if you have Doom goes back to scheming to conquer Earth, it's a betrayal to any character development done in the past 5 years.
    Completely agree. He should be completely beyond hating Reed now, or even just throwing insults their way. In fact, since the return I was actually pretty excited to see he day when the new and improved Doom worked alongside them.

I am inclined to agree. Honestly, I was expecting more from their return. Ever since they have come back to Earth I feel like nothing has happened. I know Ben and Alicia got married and now the whole Doom/Galactus thing is going on, but it is nothing fulfilling. Everything somehow feels like filler issues.

BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    There's a lot that hasn't been explained about why Doom and Galactus are where they are now. Nothing here shows Doom as someone out to conquer the world, just a man who has a very high opinion of himself (which is Victor). Infamous didn't show Victor as a pure of heart good guy, but as someone who was trying to do the right thing despite personal issues. I want to enjoy this run and I am going to be fair and wait until a few of the pieces are exposed before I make a call on this.

And how this ties into Slott's Surfer, Iron Man, or the recent Two-In-One Doom/Galactus story remains to be seen. But not using that previous story in M2i1 with this seems like a complete waste of experiences. It could be great; it could also suck big-time. But I am intriqued by the first chapter.

I'm just not excited by another Doom story and so early too. Plus the way this seems to go it looks like yet another one at the expense of the FF, that's the last thing the team needs.

Depending on next issue I may just skip this arc and come back when it's over.
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-17-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

A hard eye roll to anyone who says "nothing's happened!" in this relaunch and that everything has felt like filler. Give me a break.

Ben and Alicia's wedding is a historic milestone in the FF's history. Period. For that alone, this hasn't been "filler."

As for complaints about Doom being back to being villainous again, Doom is arguably the preeminent villain in the MU.

As much as I enjoyed Infamous Iron Man, having Doom remain as a good guy forever is a waste of a classic villain - really THE classic villain of Marvel.

As long as Doom continues to see himself as the hero of his own story, that's as heroic as he needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    A hard eye roll to anyone who says "nothing's happened!" in this relaunch and that everything has felt like filler. Give me a break.

Ben and Alicia's wedding is a historic milestone in the FF's history. Period. For that alone, this hasn't been "filler."

As for complaints about Doom being back to being villainous again, Doom is arguably the preeminent villain in the MU.

As much as I enjoyed Infamous Iron Man, having Doom remain as a good guy forever is a waste of a classic villain - really THE classic villain of Marvel.

As long as Doom continues to see himself as the hero of his own story, that's as heroic as he needs to be.
    The only waste I see is the chance for a character to grow, change and develop. Especially, as you said, it was enjoyable. It made Doom even more interesting. I’m not saying he would’ve stayed good, but I would’ve liked to have spent more time getting from A to B.

The wedding was a milestone, I agree. But what has changed in the characters since they left and now returned? Nothing. Huge story potential missed, imo

Doom did nothing that isn't heroic in this issue except for

A. Possibly luring Galactus, but we don't know why and he's definitely confident he could handle it either way

and

B. Looking like he's throwing Zora under the bus, which is a rather clear misdirect since the arc is named after her and they've been hyping the hell out of her

Dan literally goes out of his way to bring up Infamous and Two-In-One in interviews, and the issue is intentionally written to misdirect and keep you guessing about what he's doing. But he has more pages being brave and heroic than cruel or scheming.

DOUBLE POST SICK DUdE

BANNED

The only waste I see is the chance for a character to grow, change and develop. Especially, as you said, it was enjoyable. It made Doom even more interesting. I’m not saying he would’ve stayed good, but I would’ve liked to have spent more time getting from A to B.
    As Snoop noted, there's nothing that Doom does in this issue that is not heroic. He's not being a bad guy here. Arrogant, yes, but that's Doom.

Doom is always going to be a fascinating character, full of contradictions. He doesn't have to be on the road to redemption to be interesting.

The wedding was a milestone, I agree. But what has changed in the characters since they left and now returned? Nothing. Huge story potential missed, imo
    What missed story potential? You know they've just gotten back, right? And that there are many, many, many more issues to come? Just because they haven't crammed a dozen new revelations about every character into the first six issues of this run it doesn't mean that Slott is done delving into these people. He has a whole run ahead of him.

This ish was the best selling Marvel book and #3 best-selling issue on Comixology this week.

And yet he’s managed to cram in the Fantastix, the useless Griever plot, brought the team back straight away and have everyone acting like nothing’s changed (even though in the first issue we had an emotional beat where Thing and Johnny are clearly coming to terms that they’ve gone).

I’m not stupid, I realise Slott has a full run. I actually think he’s jumping into things a little too quickly without letting things breathe.

Again, this is just my opinion. I’m glad you enjoy it but it’s not doing much for me.