Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Pérez and most later writers had her blessed by Demeter, whose main function in the Olympic pantheon was being the goddess of grains and agriculture.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Pérez and most later writers had her blessed by Demeter, whose main function in the Olympic pantheon was being the goddess of grains and agriculture.
    Yeah but what does this entail? What abilities did she gain from this?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah but what does this entail? What abilities did she gain from this?
    In my head canon, the ability to draw strength from the earth like the growing things.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    In my head canon, the ability to draw strength from the earth like the growing things.
    I also remember her using the earth to heal at one point (or it could be that I am old and mis-remembering)

I think what brought all of this into sharp relief for me was Jason. Here was Diana's twin brother who seemed to have all of her powers *and* the wind/water/storm powers of Zeus. Why shouldn't Diana have overt, magical abilities along these lines? I'm not sure what they should be, but it seems that various writers over the years have tried to add something and the next person who comes along just wipes it and starts again. The lasso's powers change, we haven't seen anything about her supposed affinity with beasts for a long time, she used to swim through lava as a sign of Hestia's 'hearth and fireside' power, and she could once channel the divine lightning of Zeus through her bracelets (which translated to the big screen for her movie but never once came up in the JL film)

I would like to see a definitive set of magical, god-gifted powers set down somewhere to give Diana some continuity and definition and to help differentiate her from other strong, flying (or not ) physical power houses.

I developed an idea for how magic would be used for the Amazons' power sets in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Basically a thread to discuss how you'd approach the Wonder family in terms of membership, origins, dynamics, powers etc. I'll start.

Firstly, we’d have the Amazons Divination Method which is basically the Amazon Training from the Marston run which grants super powers. The idea is for humans to tap into divine forces within to unlock superhuman physical powers. It can considered unlocking divinity via magic.

Amazons have a varied knowledge and schools of magic they utilize. Magic is a natural force in Themysicra so it is treated as both a science, philosophy and means of battle.

And of course weapons formed from magic.

Main Family Members

Diana: Post crisis clay birth. Superhuman strength, speed, durability, flight and agility derived from the Amazon Divination Method. Uses the Lasso of Truth created from the Purple Flames of Life. Also uses a sword crafted by Io.

Donna: Similar to her initial origin but instead of being from the U.S. is from the Philippines and was initially known as Donna Higuera. She has superhuman strength, speed, durability, flight and agility derived from the Amazon Divination Method. She uses an Amazon battle staff made by Io which has strong deflecting abilities and a throwing star gifted to her by Tala, the Tagalog goddess of stars.

Cassie Sandsmark: Cassie is the daughter of Zeus and Helena Sandsmark. She hails from Boston. She comes into the Diana's world being a fan of Donna who is at first reluctant but comes to accept her as a friend and partner. Cassie has has superhuman strength, speed, durability, flight and agility derived from the Amazon Divination Method. These abilities may be stronger due to her demigod heritage but she lacks the experience most of the other Amazons have. Uses twin battle gauntlets which can generate electric punches.

Artemis: Main representative of the Bana-Mighdall. Artemis is perhaps the one Amazon who can match Diana in skill and power. Artemis has ADM abilities as mentioned above but combines this with traditional magic making her far more versatile than Diana. She specilises in blade and fire magic to form blade weapons and sometimes heat them up to reinforce damage output and durability. Also has strong tracking and tracing magic. By combining her fire and blade magic she can create a powerful blade that she can poor her energy into. Uses twin scythes and a bow. Is skilled in tracking, binding and killing demons.

Akila: One of the most powerful and knowledgeable mages of the Bana. Akila does not use the ADM but more than makes up for it in her traditional casting and ranged abilities. Her most valued asset is her mind both on and off the battle field. In battle, she utilizes light and shadow magic developing a style known as the Eye of Twilight. Abilities include teleportation, illusions, light and shadow blasts. Uses an orb to fire energy blasts when she’s tired out physically and can track people. Also works with Io in creation of new devices and inventions.

Nubia: While Artemis could fight Diana to a draw, Nubia is the one Amazon who could defeat the both of them. Nubia was born of clay like Diana but was lost to the Amazons in an ancient war to beat back demons from another dimension. She spent years trapped on the other side of the demon dimension before being rescued by her mothers and her sisters. Nubia possesses Superhuman strength, speed, durability, flight and agility from the Amazon Divination Method. She also developed a skill that allows her instincts to take over in battle and react to attacks almost immediately. She wields a sword than can transform into a laser spear and can summon armor that can offer greater defense but slows down her speed somewhat.

Hippolyta: Head of the Amazon Royal family, wife of Philippus and queen of the Amazons. Hippolyta is a skilled mage and fighter. She wields an axe in battle. And can use the ADM

Philippus: The trainer and mother of Diana, Nubia and Donna and wife of Hippolyta. Philippus is an expert in the ADM and a number of weapons. But her signature weapons are twin swords that can combine at the hilt and fire energy arcs. She also developed a method to heal and replenish her strength by bonding with the earth but the effects only last an hour.

When using magic how does they magic use? For me it would depend on who they trained under. For example if it were Athena or Aphrodite would be their main and secondary colors .
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-06-2019 at 06:43 PM.

For those questioning the magical nature of Diana's physiology, here's a line from Wilson's issue 64 that puts it to rest.