Thread: Retro Games!!

Default Retro Games!!

I have been on a hug Retro games kick as of late. I have played and beaten a couple Zelda games, some Mega Man games and I am working my way through the Drago Warrior series. I am on part 3 right now.

I have also played a whole slew of NES and SNES games over the last year. I never had the ability to play a lot of these games as kids so diving into them has been a hige amount of fun, as well as getting back into the classics I remember.

So I thought it would be fun to start a thread to talk about all the retro games we know and love from the NES and SNES to Gameboy, and Xobx and Playstation.

So jump in! Tell some of your favorite games and why, or favorite systems, or cheats. Remember when cheat codes were a thing? Like Game Genie and Game Shark

So lets talk retro
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I've been on a Metroid Marathon since the announcement of Dread. Since June I have replayed Super, Fusion, Zero Mission and Samus Returns while playing AM2R and the Prime games for the first time. I was turned off by Prime back in the day because I didn't like the idea of the series being first person. I missed out. Currently playing through Prime 3

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I've been on a Metroid Marathon since the announcement of Dread. Since June I have replayed Super, Fusion, Zero Mission and Samus Returns while playing AM2R and the Prime games for the first time. I was turned off by Prime back in the day because I didn't like the idea of the series being first person. I missed out. Currently playing through Prime 3
    I have the metroid games on my list. Funny enough Metroid 2 on Gameboy was the first one I ever played and beat years ago. I want to start with the NES Metroid.

I have a couple of the Prime games from my BIL when he gave me a couple retro systems. I havnt started them yet for the same reason being FPS. How have they stacked up since that was a worry of yours now that you are playing them?

Like I said I am currently working through the Dragon Warrior series but I also last night picked up where I left off in the Mega Man series with Mega man 7 and I have to say it is a huge pain in me ass. I spent 2 hours beating the first 2 bosses. UGH!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have the metroid games on my list. Funny enough Metroid 2 on Gameboy was the first one I ever played and beat years ago. I want to start with the NES Metroid.

I have a couple of the Prime games from my BIL when he gave me a couple retro systems. I havnt started them yet for the same reason being FPS. How have they stacked up since that was a worry of yours now that you are playing them?

Like I said I am currently working through the Dragon Warrior series but I also last night picked up where I left off in the Mega Man series with Mega man 7 and I have to say it is a huge pain in me ass. I spent 2 hours beating the first 2 bosses. UGH!
    I would recommend skipping the NES Metroid and play its remake Zero Mission instead. The original game has not aged well at all. All the rooms look the same, no map, you will need a guide for some progression.

Overall I am enjoying the Prime games. I had a lot of issues with the first game. The level design of Prime was not great. The game doesn't have fast travel or any shortcuts to cut down on the tedium of backtracking. This can become a slog when a power up you need to progress is on the other side of the map. This becomes a major problem when it's time to do the Chozo artifact quest as pops up at the endgame and it's a huge pace killer. All the major areas of the game should have been interconnected.

The game is on the easy side. I didn't die once in my playthrough of Prime.

Thankfully Prime 2 addressed all the issues I had with Prime 1 level design and it was a more difficult game. At the moment it's my favorite of the Prime trilogy

I would recommend skipping the NES Metroid and play its remake Zero Mission instead. The original game has not aged well at all. All the rooms look the same, no map, you will need a guide for some progression.

Overall I am enjoying the Prime games. I had a lot of issues with the first game. The level design of Prime was not great. The game doesn't have fast travel or any shortcuts to cut down on the tedium of backtracking. This can become a slog when a power up you need to progress is on the other side of the map. This becomes a major problem when it's time to do the Chozo artifact quest as pops up at the endgame and it's a huge pace killer. All the major areas of the game should have been interconnected.

The game is on the easy side. I didn't die once in my playthrough of Prime.

Thankfully Prime 2 addressed all the issues I had with Prime 1 level design and it was a more difficult game. At the moment it's my favorite of the Prime trilogy
    Thanks. That makes me feel a bit better about the Prime series.

I am going to do both NES and Zero Mission. I loved the NES game as a kid but I never beat it. It is 215 now and I have nothing to do today. So I am going to play it and hope to get it knocked out in a few hours. Or at least by the end of the day

Love them old games from my childhood. And speaking of that, i'm in the middle of Phantasy Star 2 right now.

Now that's a weird case cause for being honest that game is nothing but suffering. Not even 5 seconds pass between two fights when you walk around (for real, i'm not exaggerating), the grind is one of most brutal in video games history, all dungeons are painful mazes and pretty much everything is designed to make the game pointlessly longer.

Yet, i keep playing. The story is somewhat engaging, when something actually happens after hours of fights, and....that's it lol...i don't know, that's very curious.

But beside that i do am quite the Legend of Zelda fan and i own most of them. Lost my copy of Windwaker though and boy am i mad about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Love them old games from my childhood. And speaking of that, i'm in the middle of Phantasy Star 2 right now.

Now that's a weird case cause for being honest that game is nothing but suffering. Not even 5 seconds pass between two fights when you walk around (for real, i'm not exaggerating), the grind is one of most brutal in video games history, all dungeons are painful mazes and pretty much everything is designed to make the game pointlessly longer.

Yet, i keep playing. The story is somewhat engaging, when something actually happens after hours of fights, and....that's it lol...i don't know, that's very curious.

But beside that i do am quite the Legend of Zelda fan and i own most of them. Lost my copy of Windwaker though and boy am i mad about that.
    I wonder if they will do a port of that for the Switch like they did Skyward Sword?

And yea PS 2 is in my view a pretty bad game. One of the few I did not finish. SO I feel your pain friend.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I wonder if they will do a port of that for the Switch like they did Skyward Sword?
    That would be awesome.

I'm in that same boat. I've never really got into Metroid, but seeing everyone get hype over dread made me want to try them again. Played through Zero Mission and had a lot of fun with it. Now I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Samus Returns for a reasonable price (not sure that's the kind of "retro gaming" rant we want to bring into here). I had to go digital for Zero Mission because cartridge prices are so high. Might end up having to do that with Samus Returns.

In the mean time I just randomly decided to start up a game of Donkey Kong Country 2 on the Nintendo Online thing. Forgot how good that game was.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

As soon as i'm finish torturing myself with Phantasy Star i'm getting back, for the first time since the early 90's, to sweet, awesome and so very sexy Shining Force. (the first of the name)

Man, love this game so freaking much. And the sequel too.(not too big on Shining in the Darkness though)

Gotta love those megadrive games collection. Got one on switch and boy, it's well worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I'm in that same boat. I've never really got into Metroid, but seeing everyone get hype over dread made me want to try them again. Played through Zero Mission and had a lot of fun with it. Now I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Samus Returns for a reasonable price (not sure that's the kind of "retro gaming" rant we want to bring into here). I had to go digital for Zero Mission because cartridge prices are so high. Might end up having to do that with Samus Returns.

In the mean time I just randomly decided to start up a game of Donkey Kong Country 2 on the Nintendo Online thing. Forgot how good that game was.
    It's crazy to see all the hype that Dread is generating and for some reason Nintendo doesn't see fit to re-release the old games to capitalize on it. Metroid games saw a sales spike on the Wii U digital store. Same for the 3DS with Samus Returns. It would be great to have all those games on the Switch.

It's crazy to see all the hype that Dread is generating and for some reason Nintendo doesn't see fit to re-release the old games to capitalize on it. Metroid games saw a sales spike on the Wii U digital store. Same for the 3DS with Samus Returns. It would be great to have all those games on the Switch.
    It would be cool if they did a Game and Watch collection with some the the early Metroids like they did with the first 3 Zelda games.