BANNED

Default The 100 Best Comics of the Decade

Hard to believe we're at the end of the decade already but here we are and that means that "Best Of" lists will be proliferating online.

Comics Beat did their list of the 100 Best Comics of the Decade and while the emphasis is on indie books, Marvel has a very strong presence with 11 entries.

The ones that made the cut are:

Tom Taylor's All-New Wolverine

Mark Waid's Daredevil

Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye

Hickman's House of X/Powers of X

Ewing's Immortal Hulk

Wilson's Ms. Marvel

Slott and Allred's Silver Surfer

Latour and Rodriguez's Spider-Gwen

Aaron's Thor

North's Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

and King's Vision

Check out the full list here:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/the-100-b...of-the-decade/

Lists like this never have a definite proper content. Everything is opinion. But the best lists would have items that you can agree should be considered even if you may not think they're exactly there. I've read and bought a few books on the list. Some I tried and decided against. Others I decided against but heard many good things about. Every book on this list (both Marvel and otherwise) that I am familiar with is a very good book. IMHO, it's a well thought-out and valid list.

BANNED

Wonder why Alan Moore isn’t on that list - he put out Providence, league of extraordinary gentlemen and memo.

Agree with the marvel choices for the most part.

The 100 Best Comics of the Decade
    North's Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

I'm super glad to see All-New Wolverine, Hawkeye, House of X/Powers of X, Ms. Marvel, Thor and Vision made the list. They'd certainly be on any list I'd make.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Oh dang, All New Wolverine is an unexpected choice that I'm really happy to see. I loved that series but I thought I might have been the only one.

Astonishing Member

Good to see all new wolverine make the list, maybe marvel will try to stop hiding it exist

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Wonder why Alan Moore isn’t on that list - he put out Providence, league of extraordinary gentlemen and memo.

Agree with the marvel choices for the most part.
    That’s an interesting observation.

I thought Providence was a disturbing read. But I also think the degree of skill displayed in the writing and artwork was higher than any of those comics in this list I’ve read.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Haven’t read All-New Wolverine or Squirrel Girl but the list looks pretty solid.

Not sure HoX/PoX belongs there. It felt very important but not sure it was great? I think Hickman own New Avengers book was much better?

I think you could also make an argument for a couple of Nick Spencer books, Superior Foes and Ant Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    That’s an interesting observation.

I thought Providence was a disturbing read. But I also think the degree of skill displayed in the writing and artwork was higher than any of those comics in this list I’ve read.
    I guess people take Alan Moore for granted. He's been around since the '80s and has continued to produce work of high quality (which isn't true of Frank Miller, of Grant Morrison, of Pat Mills, of John Byrne, and so many other "big names" of that decade) but I guess people want to emphasize the new over the old.

Even other stuff he did this decade like Crossed +100 or Cinema Purgatorio has pretty brilliant moments and ideas in it.

I will admit that Providence's final issues were a little weak compared to what came before and that it's ending was too meta for its own good, and repetitive in Moore's fixation of using big apocalypses as a literal conclusion, but everything that led up to it was pure genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I guess people take Alan Moore for granted. He's been around since the '80s and has continued to produce work of high quality (which isn't true of Frank Miller, of Grant Morrison, of Pat Mills, of John Byrne, and so many other "big names" of that decade) but I guess people want to emphasize the new over the old.

Even other stuff he did this decade like Crossed +100 or Cinema Purgatorio has pretty brilliant moments and ideas in it.

I will admit that Providence's final issues were a little weak compared to what came before and that it's ending was too meta for its own good, and repetitive in Moore's fixation of using big apocalypses as a literal conclusion, but everything that led up to it was pure genius.
    One strong impression I got while reading it is that the sheer amount of time (and thought) put into the writing and artwork must have been many times more than even a well produced mainstream Marvel or DC comic.

I think you may well be right that effectively Alan Moore is taken for granted...”Oh, it’s just another Alan Moore comic, and not even one of his best”. But that ignores that the “average” Alan Moore comic is way above many people’s best.

Bit tough on Jacen Burrows though...thought artwork was exceptional.