View Poll Results: What was your opinion of Reign of the Supermen animated movie?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it! Even better than Death of Superman

8 15.38%
  • Good. A solid follow up.

40 76.92%
  • Below average

3 5.77%
  • Hated it!

1 1.92%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Her type is the Eradicator, who embodies Superman's Kryptonian side, which I think is what Diana was attracted to (there's a reason she usually calls him "Kal").
    I thought she liked Eradicator more than the others because he looked a lot like Clark. Hence, she has a type.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    What, are they making this version of Diana like Black Cat? Lame. Don't play this drama at all if you're going to go OOC and make it so Diana only cares about the Superman side.

Actually, scratch that, don't play the drama at all. They chose to go the Lois direction with this, so stay with that. You made your decision. Don't dragon WW through the mud. I'd love to see SM/WW again but not when it would require a jealous third wheel. Screw that. Again, the decision has been made for this verse.
    I'm not buying that Diana only cares for the alien in him (that's not who she truly is, imo) If she really cares for him in a deeper level than just friends, she cares for all of him. But sometimes relationships don't work out for different reasons like people are not ready for the that level of commitment or understanding, and sometimes they get back together after years when both have matured and learned some lessons.

That's my head canon w/ Clark and Diana here and in general, lol. Where there was fire... It didn't work this time, but who knows much later or in another universe. Those 2 have something special together. And yes, I ship Clark with both Lois and Diana, just not at the same time. I can have my cake and eat it. I don't have to limit my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That one line is played as a joke and it is a little cringy. But there's no jealously or anything shown. Lois is initially a little taken aback because she didn't know Diana and Clark had dated given the circumstances of his identity reveal in Death. But Lois doesn't show any jealousy and they are friendly and supportive of each other in the rest of the movie.
    Agreed. I liked that. It showed both ladies in a mature and endearing way. Both carry a torch for Clark in their own way. I dig it..

Yeah, just saw the clip, that's bad characterization there. She wouldn't be into someone who's "brutal", whether its played for laughs or not. That's once again falling into the trap of making too much of her warrior nature over her peaceful side. For better or worse, her two most recognized love interests are Steve Trevor and Superman. And one thing they have in common is that they're very sweet men at heart. That's her type. Not brutality, never has been.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't suddenly hate this incarnation of WW. Her characterization as an individual character isn't dependent on the specifics of her dynamic with Superman. Although like I said above it is a tad worrisome in regards to how far they play her warrior side in the future. But the rest of the scene was quite cute. It was just a poor line is all.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-08-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

What, are they making this version of Diana like Black Cat? Lame. Don't play this drama at all if you're going to go OOC and make it so Diana only cares about the Superman side.

Actually, scratch that, don't play the drama at all. They chose to go the Lois direction with this, so stay with that. You made your decision. Don't dragon WW through the mud. I'd love to see SM/WW again but not when it would require a jealous third wheel. Screw that. Again, the decision has been made for this verse.

(I havent' seen the whole film yet so if I'm missing out on some joke or hyperbole, apologies!)
    There wasn't really any drama at all. Diana and Lois got along great in the movie and there wasn't that much awkwardness over their shared relationship with Clark.

I mean, I don't think it's a stretch that Diana's attraction for Superman was based in part on his Kryptonian side. I feel like that's a reasonable view of their relationship to some degree.

There wasn't really any drama at all. Diana and Lois got along great in the movie and there wasn't that much awkwardness over their shared relationship with Clark.

I mean, I don't think it's a stretch that Diana's attraction for Superman was based in part on his Kryptonian side. I feel like that's a reasonable view of their relationship to some degree.
    Last I checked it wasn't his Kryptonian side taking her to dinner and a movie. Also it's funny how Lois conveniently forgot the date she interupted. Who'd she think the woman was? I find it funny how the normally Clark blind Lois is dating him not long after seeing him out with another woman. People talk about Diana stealing Clark yet no one look at it from the other side. Did Lois go a poaching? Freaking Tomasi.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Last I checked it wasn't his Kryptonian side taking her to dinner and a movie. Also it's funny how Lois conveniently forgot the date she interupted. Who'd she think the woman was? I find it funny how the normally Clark blind Lois is dating him not long after seeing him out with another woman. People talk about Diana stealing Clark yet no one look at it from the other side. Did Lois go a poaching? Freaking Tomasi.
    Yeah, but initially she was attracted to him as Superman, and she admitted she didn't really get the whole "civilian life" thing.

We really don't have much of a frame of reference for when Clark and Diana ended their relationship and he and Lois started dating since it all happened off-screen. At the very least it's been maybe a few years since that moment in Thrones of Atlantis.

There might have been a decent cooldown period before Clark and Lois started dating, and I'm not sure how well people in his social circle knew about "Diana Prince." Death established Clark was very private about himself.

They weren't going to spend 30 minutes in depth to explain why Supes and Wondy were no longer together. They just came up with a convenient reason that could wrap up their break-up in one tidy exchange, a la Ali left Daniel for a football player from UCLA after the senior prom in the beginning of Karate Kid part II.

The movie (and really, most of these DTV's) relied heavily on nostalgia (in this case, the 90's) that it wasn't necessary to explain how and why Superman and Lois were together; rather, you could just start watching and accept the dialogue, unlike something like a MCU or DCEU movie where they spell out the Five W's. I don't think it'd be fair to expect this movie to start explaining things from the very beginning while such few of these movies do. On the other hand, if you actually wanted to see a payoff to the relationship they started developing within this series of movies, you're SOL.

At least there's Arthur and Mera. And maybe something among the Titans.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 02-12-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

They opted for the cleanest break up imaginable because they wanted to focus on the story that involved Lois.

Honestly, is Lois poaching if Clark leaves Diana of his own accord and decides to date her instead? For all intents and purposes it could have been Lana or Lori or some LL. Would they be poaching Clark from Diana too? Clark is a free agent, I hardly think Lois did anything to steal him away. Diana said there was a part of Clark that she just couldn't grasp, his clinging to the Clark persona away from super heroics (which typically involved his DP life). It's not that she doesn't know the man, only that they didn't fully mesh together when it came to their personal relationship. Relationships don't always work out, it happens even to the best of people.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 02-12-2019 at 02:54 AM.

BANNED

For better or worse, her two most recognized love interests are Steve Trevor and Superman..
    Actually, I'd say Steve and Batman more than Clark.

Yeah, but initially she was attracted to him as Superman, and she admitted she didn't really get the whole "civilian life" thing.

We really don't have much of a frame of reference for when Clark and Diana ended their relationship and he and Lois started dating since it all happened off-screen. At the very least it's been maybe a few years since that moment in Thrones of Atlantis.
    I doubt Diana would have waited "years" to figure out Lois came first in Clark's heart, which she admits to in "Reign". Also I recommend you read the tie-in comics by Louise Simoson which do explain a bit more regarding why Diana dumped Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    That's my head canon w/ Clark and Diana here and in general, lol. Where there was fire... It didn't work this time, but who knows much later or in another universe. Those 2 have something special together.
    I wouldn't call an "easy" romance anything special, just something that has an inevitably short shelf life.

And yes, I ship Clark with both Lois and Diana, just not at the same time. I can have my cake and eat it. I don't have to limit my imagination.
    Much later on, Clark is either still living with an immortal Lois (AC 1000), or he recreates her (One Million), Diana should not be defined by a relationship with Clark, she has her own world.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-12-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Actually, I'd say Steve and Batman more than Clark.

I doubt Diana would have waited "years" to figure out Lois came first in Clark's heart, which she admits to in "Reign". Also I recommend you read the tie-in comics by Louise Simoson which do explain a bit more regarding why Diana dumped Clark.

I wouldn't call an "easy" romance anything special, just something that has an inevitably short shelf life.

Much later on, Clark is either still living with an immortal Lois (AC 1000), or he recreates her (One Million), Diana should not be defined by a relationship with Clark, she has her own world.

I know you are a big Clois shipper, so I know where you are coming from. I love them too, but I'm more open to explore other Superman romances. I mean, this is not real life, it's just fiction.

And I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that historically there has been a romance and strong attraction going on between Superman and Diana (even more than Bruce). They even end up together and with kids in Kingdom Come. Like we said in the headcanon thread, I pick and choose what I like. Some of these stories are not canon yet. Those are what if endings as far as I know. Canon is a fluid thing. There is also the multiverse.

And about the Clark/Diana break up in Death of Superman, I'm fine we didn't see how it happened. I don't need to see it. It's not a TV show where there is more time to explain and duel on those things. I think the way the movie handled it worked. But then I like both Lois and Diana.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-12-2019 at 01:13 PM.

BANNED

I know you are a big Clois shipper, so I know where you are coming from. I love them too, but I'm more open to other Superman romances. I mean, this is not real life, it's just fiction.
    That's true. I'm quite open to Clark and Lana myself (though let's never discuss the Chuck Austen run)

And I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that historically there has been a romance and strong attraction going on between Superman and Diana (even more than Bruce). They even end up together and with kids in Kingdom Come. Like we said in the headcanon thread, I pick and choose what I like. Some of these stories are not canon yet. Those are what if endings as far as I know. Canon is a fluid thing. There is also the multiverse..
    The "romance" were several imaginary tales (one of which ends with them divorcing) and there was one date in pre-flashpoint, and while there was an attraction, Clark did his best to put Lois first. Diana didn't have Steve at the time so DC kept forcing her connection to Clark on to the reader. The DCAU side-stepped that and had her flirt with Batman instead, and I think a lot more people watched the DCAU than they paid attention to comics. Add in Diana and Bruce's connections in the DCEU movies and you have a pretty prolific relationship.

Kingdom Come is an elseworlds, and it's ending only really happens because Lois was murdered. While they grow closer in it, Clark and Diana are actually at odds for most of that story and it's only when things quiet down do they mesh together...and even that, at the end, Clark is ordering the food Lois usually cooked for him, so you know a part of him will always put her first.

I frankly think being connected to Clark brings out the worst in Diana, that was especially true during their friendship in the pre-flashpoint days. I used to be a big fan of it, but once I re-read some stuff with them interacting from that phase I realised just how inappropriate Diana was being most of the time in the name of that "friendship", she was pining for a married man. I love Diana and I feel she would never do something as selfish as that.

I would never dream of telling you what to think, you do you, hell my preferred endings still give you wiggle room for something to happen with Clark and Diana
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-12-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That's true. I'm quite open to Clark and Lana myself (though let's never discuss the Chuck Austen run)

The "romance" were several imaginary tales (one of which ends with them divorcing) and there was one date in pre-flashpoint, and while there was an attraction, Clark did his best to put Lois first. Diana didn't have Steve at the time so DC kept forcing her connection to Clark on to the reader. The DCAU side-stepped that and had her flirt with Batman instead, and I think a lot more people watched the DCAU than they paid attention to comics. Add in Diana and Bruce's connections in the DCEU movies and you have a pretty prolific relationship.

Kingdom Come is an elseworlds, and it's ending only really happens because Lois was murdered. While they grow closer in it, Clark and Diana are actually at odds for most of that story and it's only when things quiet down do they mesh together...and even that, at the end, Clark is ordering the food Lois usually cooked for him, so you know a part of him will always put her first.

I frankly think being connected to Clark brings out the worst in Diana, that was especially true during their friendship in the pre-flashpoint days. I used to be a big fan of it, but once I re-read some stuff with them interacting from that phase I realised just how inappropriate Diana was being most of the time in the name of that "friendship", she was pining for a married man. I love Diana and I feel she would never do something as selfish as that.

I would never dream of telling you what to think, you do you, hell my preferred endings still give you wiggle room for something to happen with Clark and Diana
    But a lot of fans, including myself (Alex Ross as well) happen to enjoy the Superman/WW romance/attraction. It's not 'forced' on us.

Sure, I also understand why Lois gets the preference. She was there from the very start. I understand that. But most people have more than one love their whole lives, so I don't see nothing wrong w/ Clark feeling romantically attracted to other women.

Wonder Woman as a romantic partner for Superman was there long before Batman.

ActionComics600.jpg

Also, in the big EW (Entertainment Weekly mag) special issue on Wonder Woman history before her movie premiered, the only other big romance featured besides Steve Trevor was Superman. I read it and there was a whole page with a the JL cover of Superman and WW hugging.

The Bruce/Diana thing in the DCEU was just a bit of flirting, not a real romance. He knew she cared for Steve.

Last edited by stargazer01; 02-12-2019 at 01:40 PM.

BANNED

First of all, I never said forcing Clark and Diana together resulted in everyone rejecting it, but it did create a niche audience for it.

Wonder Woman as a romantic partner for Superman was there long before Batman.

ActionComics600.jpg
    That's the pre-flashpoint date I was referring to. One date. ONE. They never went out again after it. Diana was never his romantic partner until 2011, and Diana threw that relationship under the bus once N52 Superman (an inferior Manhattan-made copy I may add) died.

That also doesn't disprove my point more people watch the animated shows and movies than they read comics, and in both of the former cases, Diana is closer to Bruce.

N52 Clark and Diana's relationship hadn't been gone too long when that magazine came out, you can't blame it for citing it as an event, so that proves nothing.

The DCAU connection was very real, Diana loved Steve, but he was an old man by the end of their story together, and she tried to move back on to Bruce, but Bruce is Bruce so nothing happened. There is evidence in that show Bruce did love Diana though.

I have no interest in debating this with you. S/WW has always felt forced to me, it had it's chance, and it failed.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-12-2019 at 01:55 PM.

I think Waid and Ross have said people took a lot of the wrong lessons from Kingdom Come. It was meant to function as a cautionary tale of what happens when things go wrong, specifically citing killing Lois and Superman and Wonder Woman getting together as things that are not supposed to happen and that they wish people didn't copy from it. It's kinda like Watchmen in that sense. Everyone copies the superficial without getting the underlying messages.

Do you think Kingdom Come potentially had some impact on influencing that direction?

WAID: I hope not. Alex and I talk about this all the time. The perplexing thing is Kingdom Come was supposed to be a cautionary fable. It was supposed to be like, “This is what happens when you go down a very dark road. It ends up very badly.” It seems like a lot of people only took the first part of that message, which is, “Oh, look at the cool stuff in Kingdom Come.” No! No, no! Lois Lane is not supposed to die. Superman and Wonder Woman are not supposed to be a couple.

It’s kind of fascinating to me to see some of the wrong lessons learned, but some of the right lessons, too. I love the fact that Kingdom Come managed to elevate Wonder Woman to the “Trinity” level. It wasn’t just Superman and Batman anymore. I’m proud of what we accomplished, but every once in a while I think, “Oh, you learned the wrong lesson there.”
    https://www.monkeysfightingrobots.co...e-awesome-con/

That said, we should take a hint from Lois & Diana in the movie and realize we all like Superman and can coexist!
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-12-2019 at 03:49 PM.