View Poll Results: What was your opinion of Reign of the Supermen animated movie?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it! Even better than Death of Superman

8 15.38%
  • Good. A solid follow up.

40 76.92%
  • Below average

3 5.77%
  • Hated it!

1 1.92%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I really liked "Reign". It wasn't quite as good as "death", but it's a solid follow up. As with "death" they managed to distill the essence of the original story and the characters , yet managed to do something different. As with everyone else, the weak link was Hank's motivation, but he was sufficiently scary.

My favorite character in this was Lex. I gotta say, I was sceptical upon hearing Rainn Wilson was voicing Lex, but his interpretation may just be my favorite animated Lex. Yes, beating out Clancy Brown.

,And I was so glad to see the Reborn suit make it's way into animation. If we had to lose it in the comics at least we have it in the movies.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I also assumed the "Sullivan" character was this universe's rendition on Chloe Sullivan. If there were any character that should have her physical appearance changed, probably this would be the one. Assuming the criminal allegations are true, Mack's not someone who should be honored in subsequent portrayals of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    My favorite character in this was Lex. I gotta say, I was sceptical upon hearing Rainn Wilson was voicing Lex, but his interpretation may just be my favorite animated Lex. Yes, beating out Clancy Brown.
    Yeah, I'd definitely put him up there as one of the top three Luthor VA's, along with Clancy Brown and Mark Rolston.

Just saw it. Voted Good, a solid follow up.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It didn't hit me as hard as Death of Superman in the emotions, but I did like it a lot. It was an strong effort. Lois Lane was awesome and very brave. It reminded me of Amy Adams Lois shooting guns in space. And when Supes appears and his long hair blowing by the wind was stunning. I really loved his characterization.

Cyborg Superman was a good and scary villain. I think these 2 movies (Death and Reign) would make great live action films worthy of Superman. They would just need to be expanded a bit to develop the story and the characters a bit more, because this movie felt a bit rushed in general. I hope that happens some say in the future. Maybe in 10 or 15 years. Before I die or am to old lol. But obviously, not as the films to introduce a new actor in the main role, but Death as the fourth film for a solo Superman franchise could work fine. You need to first make people love him and eventually kill him when they are emotionally invested, unlike in BvS..

But back to this film, I liked a lot of the things they did with Superboy. He was funny. When he called Superman dad and Supes' reaction lol, all those little details count a lot and make the experience more enjoyable. I didn't quite love the Fortress of Solitude here. It felt empty. I think I prefer the one in All Star Superman and Superman: Doomsday films.

Question, so did Darkseid create Doomsday? Not sure. Hope not.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-05-2019 at 03:13 PM.

I'm pretty sure Darkseid said he created Doomsday.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I didn't quite love the Fortress of Solitude here. It felt empty. I think I prefer the one in All Star Superman and Superman: Doomsday films.
    In fairness, Superman just got the Fortress in this movie, and he wasn't even conscious when it was formed.

I imagine if we ever see it again it'll feel more filled out.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm pretty sure Darkseid said he created Doomsday.
    I don't remember him saying that. Need to rewatch.

I don't remember him saying that. Need to rewatch.
    Darkseid refers to it as his "Doomsday weapon."

All-New Member

I prefer the ambiguity of that. Better it be left to the viewer. I don't like the idea of him creating Doomsday. "Using" him? Fine. "Fattening him up" by subjecting him to tormet? Fine. Creating him takes away from the character and creates other plot problems.

Creating Cyborg Superman works better for the narrative for this movie, and with Darkseids written history of wanting his own Superman. He also had access to Superman's genome in War. So I'm not significantly bothered by that change.

ok but that doesn't mean he created this weapon. I don't like the idea of Darkseid creating this super villain because it make the DC universe smaller. I rather think there are lots other threats out there that have nothing to do with him. Maybe he found Doomsday and wanted to use it against the JL.

Quote Originally Posted by Superham View Post
    I prefer the ambiguity of that. Better it be left to the viewer. I don't like the idea of him creating Doomsday. "Using" him? Fine. "Fattening him up" by subjecting him to tormet? Fine. Creating him takes away from the character and creates other plot problems.

Creating Cyborg Superman works better for the narrative for this movie, and with Darkseids written history of wanting his own Superman. He also had access to Superman's genome in War. So I'm not significantly bothered by that change.
    I agree, but I really hope he didn't create it.

So did Diana tell Lois that her type is Superman?

So did Diana tell Lois that her type is Superman?
    Her type is the Eradicator, who embodies Superman's Kryptonian side, which I think is what Diana was attracted to (there's a reason she usually calls him "Kal").

What, are they making this version of Diana like Black Cat? Lame. Don't play this drama at all if you're going to go OOC and make it so Diana only cares about the Superman side.

Actually, scratch that, don't play the drama at all. They chose to go the Lois direction with this, so stay with that. You made your decision. Don't drag WW through the mud. I'd love to see SM/WW again but not when it would require a jealous third wheel. Screw that. Again, the decision has been made for this verse.

(I havent' seen the whole film yet so if I'm missing out on some joke or hyperbole, apologies!)
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-08-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    What, are they making this version of Diana like Black Cat? Lame. Don't play this drama at all if you're going to go OOC and make it so Diana only cares about the Superman side.

Actually, scratch that, don't play the drama at all. They chose to go the Lois direction with this, so stay with that. You made your decision. Don't dragon WW through the mud. I'd love to see SM/WW again but not when it would require a jealous third wheel. Screw that. Again, the decision has been made for this verse.

(I havent' seen the whole film yet so if I'm missing out on some joke or hyperbole, apologies!)
    That one line is played as a joke and it is a little cringy. But there's no jealously or anything shown. Lois is initially a little taken aback because she didn't know Diana and Clark had dated given the circumstances of his identity reveal in Death. But Lois doesn't show any jealousy and they are friendly and supportive of each other in the rest of the movie.

Ahhh, okay. That's fine then. Because in no characterization of Diana at least even a little bit true to her and her relationship with Clark, would she ever be more into a cold Eradicator-type. That's not why she calls him Kal.

Clark living a "normal" life will always be a bit foreign to her naturally because of her upbringing, but its part of him. She'd be pretty appalled at that being ripped from him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El