Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Needs more Skein.............

I might get into this series

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Can't tell if being sarcastic or not, but let's recall that Otto tried to cook the earth and at least some people died from that. Generally speaking you don't get to just go 'oopsie' and say you're good now, even if comics like to think so. Also, when he was romancing Anna Maria he did so after having body snatched and murdered Peter. Peter, who she later befriended and worked together extensively with. Imagine if Osama bin Laden just came up and said he was good now, so let's just forget about the whole 'years of terrorism' thing.
    As an extension of this, this Otto is duplicated from Otto's mind around Spiderverse. As such he wasn't the one to cook the Earth as that Otto is still dead and even if he was brought back during Clone Conspiracy, the current Otto supplanted whatever was left in that body and it was destroyed later. As such the current Otto hasn't done anything but be Superior Octopus/Spider-man but also runs the risk of becoming Doctor Octopus considering well, it's pretty much Otto.

I'm actually reminded of an Oney plays animated while typing this "Hypothetical dictator".

(Link for those intrigued and don't mind being out of the loop as it's just a segment from an episode that got animated)
    https://youtu.be/vr6UAKupEhM
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    As an extension of this, this Otto is duplicated from Otto's mind around Spiderverse. As such he wasn't the one to cook the Earth as that Otto is still dead and even if he was brought back during Clone Conspiracy, the current Otto supplanted whatever was left in that body and it was destroyed later. As such the current Otto hasn't done anything but be Superior Octopus/Spider-man but also runs the risk of becoming Doctor Octopus considering well, it's pretty much Otto.

I'm actually reminded of an Oney plays animated while typing this "Hypothetical dictator".

(Link for those intrigued and don't mind being out of the loop as it's just a segment from an episode that got animated)
    https://youtu.be/vr6UAKupEhM
    Technically, he was, insofar as the Otto from Spider-Verse was at that point the same Otto that tried to fry the entire planet, just transposed into Peter's body. He experienced character development, yes, but that doesn't exactly take away from his past crimes, and as he still identifies as Otto Octavius, that means he still is (or should be) on the hook for the things he did as Doctor Octopus. Not to mention that as Superior Octopus, he participated in HYDRA's assault on and takeover of America, so it's not like he lived entirely blamelessly after getting his new lease on life.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I really invited the first issue so I will be buying the second issue.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Technically, he was, insofar as the Otto from Spider-Verse was at that point the same Otto that tried to fry the entire planet, just transposed into Peter's body. He experienced character development, yes, but that doesn't exactly take away from his past crimes, and as he still identifies as Otto Octavius, that means he still is (or should be) on the hook for the things he did as Doctor Octopus. Not to mention that as Superior Octopus, he participated in HYDRA's assault on and takeover of America, so it's not like he lived entirely blamelessly after getting his new lease on life.
    Yep. Remember, this Otto copy was made just prior to the end of Spider-Verse, so it's a copy of the man who stole someone's body and fried the planet. Also, no one - probably not even Otto - is aware of the copy thing. As far as everyone knows he's the original.

I think getting caught up in whether or not 'The Otto' that did this or that is dead and if this is 'just a copy' is a bit wrong headed. Remember, this Otto passed through his own body when he was cloned through the Jackal's cloning methods, which are 'perfect' personality transferrences, up to and including the moment of death. One could argue that he's more the 'real' Otto than the Otto who originally lived through Superior Spider-Man in the first place, if you really wanted to.

Either way, Otto certainly does remember trying to cook the earth, even if he'd try to excuse it away as his mind rotting away as his body did.

BANNED

spoilers:
    so Otto continues to be "inspired" by other geniuses in this case doom. however superior cosmic spider man has emerged to give company to the cosmic ghost Rider. soon they will have enough members to form a team if this keeps up though I do think that he most probably will burn out his power fighting terrax if terrax doesn't absorb it right back again.
    end of spoilers

Really liked the issue it was pretty action oriented and the beating Otto took was quite brutal. That ending is definitely gonna lead to something interesting spoilers:
    I also like how Otto continues to use other people's technology still, even after the whole Inheritor mess.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Can't tell if being sarcastic or not, but let's recall that Otto tried to cook the earth and at least some people died from that. Generally speaking you don't get to just go 'oopsie' and say you're good now, even if comics like to think so. Also, when he was romancing Anna Maria he did so after having body snatched and murdered Peter. Peter, who she later befriended and worked together extensively with. Imagine if Osama bin Laden just came up and said he was good now, so let's just forget about the whole 'years of terrorism' thing.
    Damn if we ain't gonna feel foolish if we are responding straight to a sarcastic post.

The fact that Octavius' criminal actions were so public means that he effectively lied to Marconi during their relationship. She would have had some opinion of the guy who had committed numerous crimes against the city (and the world).

We, as omniscient readers, know that Octavius was honestly trying to change. But, what real reason would Marconi have to believe that? And, considering that Octavius only had the chance to redeem himself because he committed murder and (epic) identity theft, one could argue that he did not deserve the chance at redemption, regardless of how sincerely he pursued it.

Not to mention that as Superior Octopus, he participated in HYDRA's assault on and takeover of America, so it's not like he lived entirely blamelessly after getting his new lease on life.
    One could argue that the Hydra collaboration was under duress. But, giving him a pass on this leaves all of those other crimes unaccounted for. (And, we can only consider the duress angle because we are omniscient readers.)

(I need to pick up the copy of this that I have sitting in my pull file.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I love that Otto refers to Doctor Doom as a "dropout".

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    That was amazing, yeah. XD

This was another stellar issue. THE POWER COSMIC DIE HAS BEEN CAST!
    Last edited by Tendrin; 01-24-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    I chuckled. Otto is so entertainingly unimpressed with anyone.

iMan 42s

This is definitely going to be one of those "it'll read better in trade" stores. Though it isn't bad, it's just that it seems it's completely meant to be read that way which I find to be a disservice if the release schedule is going to be monthly.

spoilers:
    I definitely like it and yeah it goes about as well as expected. Otto simply can't handle Terrax and Terrax himself is only screwing with him, there's no way out of this except for one thing, Otto having his spider-bots build gear for him back at the lab. Considering it worked last time and their is some precedent for things like this with Otto, I'm a little more inclined to accept it. Considering recent events with Latveria and Otto manipulating and watching things all over the world to keep an eye on Parker Industries, I may be a little inclined to accept he could build something like Doom's power siphon device be it from Victor's notes or reverse engineered from what Otto observed. It makes some degree of sense he would have some sort of knowledge to do this considering he even whipped up a power dampener back in the original Superior Spider-man.

I do also like that it has a clean break between issues to put Otto on a more even playing field meaning we can have an exact beginning, middle and presumably end. Taking the time it needs to explain how Otto could do this and even introduce more facets to how he does things with even having direct control or at the very least influence over his spider-bots.

I feel like the art on Spider-man could be better. Everyone else looks fine but oddly enough it's Spider-man that looks the most off here. Maybe it's the emotive eyes? I have no idea. Also as an aside, Doom isn't a drop-out, he was kicked out of college. Granted I doubt Otto would know that, but if he knows about Doom's college years, it's weird to me he wouldn't know that the college forced him out following the accident that disfigured him.

Overall it gets a B+ from me. Art could be a little cleaner and the story could be going at a faster pace but overall I think it's fine.
    end of spoilers
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

digger is employee of the month
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

So far I'm not digging it, I'll get #3 to see if it changes my mind. I just don't feel Otto is a personality I like enough to read an ongoing series about.