Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Does anyone know how long Cates plans to be on Guardians?

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

All I heard is towards the end of this video, Cates says that he is in charge of all cosmic/space books at Marvel now and that he has some other books coming up:

My guess is that if he is in charge of it like he says, he's probably in it for the long term.
    Baby Thanos

I really didn't like this. Last chance I give Cates. Hiw 'writing' is just not for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Aren't all first issues $4.99 now?
    At marvel a lot are, why I end up skipping a lot of their new books

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I know. Taking a stand about comics being too expensive...good luck with that.

It's a pricey hobby. There's no way around it. That said, I like the bigger debut issues and don't mind ponying up an extra buck for 'em.

This issue was an especially good one. I think this is going to be a killer run.
    Well it's not about taking a stand for me, it's about whether I feel I get a decent deal for my money and rarely does a slightly bigger issue with a 25 percent mark up feel like it was worth it, especially when I feel many issues these days are just stretched out and could be handled in a normal page count

They want me to try something new, don't ask me to pay more to try it out

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    No future timeline story is the definitive future, even if it's stated as such

By definition it's all potential even if it's intended otherwise

Any story could alter it until the current timeline catches up to it and even then it could be changed to having never or now not happen ed

In the end, future story's can be fun, but rarely do they play our especially if they're apocalyptic in nature, no publisher is gonna look off all their main characters permanently if they intend to stay in business or sell them on

But it's fun to speculate
    I think it is clear how I feel. I wasn’t really trying to assert anything. The only observation I have now is that it is unwise to conflate storylines that involve branching timelines with stories that involve characters that are travelling through time.

The MU has always featured different types of time travel stories, but comic fans being as they are, they like to construct rules and explain how things are. This has lead to an incorrect assertion that Marvel use an infinite branching timeline / parallel universe model all of the time in every circumstance. That is not only untrue it skews readers perceptions of the stories being told.

Right now the flagship book is Avengers, and in that Marvel are developing a new timeline for this new Prime Universe. It includes the deep past, with the BC Avengers providing the creation myths and mythic structure, and Old King Thor providing the end of days mythic structure.

Cates is playing in that sandbox, nothing more. He isn’t telling an alternative universe story with Thanos, but even if we read it like this the ‘Thanos Wins’ timeline IS the alternative timeline, that was the erased future. It is that timeline that is informing the actual events of now. Just because it is or may be erased (I would think of it as a flip flop future, one that is always possible and potentially reasserts itself in multiple timelines) doesn’t mean CGR’s experiences are any different. He has witnessed a continuity of events, some of which will no longer come to pass. That is not the same thing as visiting an alternative future universe.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-29-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Well it's not about taking a stand for me, it's about whether I feel I get a decent deal for my money and rarely does a slightly bigger issue with a 25 percent mark up feel like it was worth it, especially when I feel many issues these days are just stretched out and could be handled in a normal page count

They want me to try something new, don't ask me to pay more to try it out
    That’s not how the economy of new books works. They know many will try out new books. They also know that most will probably not bother to buy it, they will just read it and decide if they like it. The increased page count and price tag is cashing in on those people who do want to buy new books. The people that collect runs and are looking for a new book, and the people that collect #1 issues generally. Or people like me that are willing to take a punt with a new run.

We can all agree on value for money. I get annoyed and vocally so, when a #1 is expanded with no real added content. (I felt this was the case with Fantastic Four, where despite the art for the backup being great, the story could have been developed at another time). Mercifully that is not as common as you suggest. It is far more likely to happen with a mid-run relaunch or an anniversary issue. It is also subjective. One person’s pointless additional material is another person’s value added content.

It certainly isn’t the case here. This issue is packed with story.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-29-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    All I heard is towards the end of this video, Cates says that he is in charge of all cosmic/space books at Marvel now and that he has some other books coming up:

My guess is that if he is in charge of it like he says, he's probably in it for the long term.
    That video seems to be region locked, which is ridiculous if true, so I can only go by what you report. However, it does seem that specific writers are being given ‘creative editorial’ type positions across Marvel. I quite like this. I wonder if this is Marvel’s way of trying to hold onto writing talent in this era of creator owned properties and non-exclusive contracts.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Great first issue. Fills me with joy to read a Guardians book that feels like the GotG again. Can’t wait to see where Cates takes this, I’m all in.

Regarding the villains of the issue.....

spoilers:
    Last time I saw Corvus, Thanos was sorta making him fall on his own sword, what’s going on?
    end of spoilers

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Honestly, I feel like $5 for the amount of work that goes into drawing and writing a comic is really cheap. When I found out how cheap comics were I decided to get into them. I had always assumed they were closer to the price of an actual book.
    Baby Thanos

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I think it is clear how I feel. I wasn’t really trying to assert anything. The only observation I have now is that it is unwise to conflate storylines that involve branching timelines with stories that involve characters that are travelling through time.

The MU has always featured different types of time travel stories, but comic fans being as they are, they like to construct rules and explain how things are. This has lead to an incorrect assertion that Marvel use an infinite branching timeline / parallel universe model all of the time in every circumstance. That is not only untrue it skews readers perceptions of the stories being told.

Right now the flagship book is Avengers, and in that Marvel are developing a new timeline for this new Prime Universe. It includes the deep past, with the BC Avengers providing the creation myths and mythic structure, and Old King Thor providing the end of days mythic structure.

Cates is playing in that sandbox, nothing more. He isn’t telling an alternative universe story with Thanos, but even if we read it like this the ‘Thanos Wins’ timeline IS the alternative timeline, that was the erased future. It is that timeline that is informing the actual events of now. Just because it is or may be erased (I would think of it as a flip flop future, one that is always possible and potentially reasserts itself in multiple timelines) doesn’t mean CGR’s experiences are any different. He has witnessed a continuity of events, some of which will no longer come to pass. That is not the same thing as visiting an alternative future universe.
    I suppose my point was the relevance of future story's is ultimately inconsequential in all likelihood

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    That’s not how the economy of new books works. They know many will try out new books. They also know that most will probably not bother to buy it, they will just read it and decide if they like it. The increased page count and price tag is cashing in on those people who do want to buy new books. The people that collect runs and are looking for a new book, and the people that collect #1 issues generally. Or people like me that are willing to take a punt with a new run.

We can all agree on value for money. I get annoyed and vocally so, when a #1 is expanded with no real added content. (I felt this was the case with Fantastic Four, where despite the art for the backup being great, the story could have been developed at another time). Mercifully that is not as common as you suggest. It is far more likely to happen with a mid-run relaunch or an anniversary issue. It is also subjective. One person’s pointless additional material is another person’s value added content.

It certainly isn’t the case here. This issue is packed with story.
    Sure I'm generalising, but irrelevant to why they do it, I'm just not jumping on a book at a higher price, with the odd exception, but certainly not for characters I'm not too sure about, it tips me to the skip it side of the coin toss

FF was one book I saw as hugely inflated, which whilst I eagerly awaited their return, I agree entirely with your summation

Strangely for my own tastes, wca 1 felt like great value for money of recent example s

And I disagree about how common it is, but I haven't run any stats on it, it's enough for me to observe as I go, FF isnt in double figures and it's happened twice

I think avengers did too iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Great first issue. Fills me with joy to read a Guardians book that feels like the GotG again. Can’t wait to see where Cates takes this, I’m all in.

Regarding the villains of the issue.....

spoilers:
    Last time I saw Corvus, Thanos was sorta making him fall on his own sword, what’s going on?
    end of spoilers
    He and the rest of the Black Order were long resurrected in Avengers: No Surrender last year by Challenger, and then continued working for Grandmaster. And of all members, Corvus is the least surprising to come back from the dead anyway.

The thing is that there's their own storyline in their own miniseries right now, and I want to know the leap from that point in their story to where they are now in GOTG, if this is the 'present'. Because it's pretty contrary to what their motivations sorta are in their mini.
    Last edited by Byakko; 01-29-2019 at 10:32 AM.

At marvel a lot are, why I end up skipping a lot of their new books
    To be fair, the $4.99 is for a 40 page book with 28 or 30 page stories instead of a $3.99 32 page book with a 20 page story.

Extraordinary Member

You guys want fun? Listen to Naruto/Boruto fans complain about the manga coming out monthly. We're talking 40 pages here. Sure, they're typically smaller pages than American comics, but it's still sort of funny.