Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    That's the problem with student books. Characters shouldn't be going back, but creators also want to get specific bands back together exactly as they were, even if it's for no other reason than they used to be a band. The new Gen X actually had the ideal compromise, as it revived the premise, and the premise should logically use a new cast, but hit a lot of the major beats of the old cast by bringing them back in prominent roles.
    My problem is I've just had trouble warming up to any of the new kids since the end of New X-Men: Academy X. And I liked the original Generation X more than them. I learned to like Quire in Wolverine and the X-Men and Eyeboy's okay. I couldn't really give a flip about any of the others. I can't be the only one. There's always been a generational appeal to the younger X-groups. I don't have a problem with there being a book with those kids for the readers younger than me. But I want to read about the team I grew up with.

That's funny, I liked everyone in the new Generation X BUT Quentin and Eyeboy

Not crazy about Nature Girl either, but I don't actively hate her

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    That's the problem with student books. Characters shouldn't be going back, but creators also want to get specific bands back together exactly as they were, even if it's for no other reason than they used to be a band. The new Gen X actually had the ideal compromise, as it revived the premise, and the premise should logically use a new cast, but hit a lot of the major beats of the old cast by bringing them back in prominent roles.
    The problem with that is when you use a name that people associate with certain characters they expect to see those characters. It is the same reason the last few New Warriors books crashed and burned. When you bring a team back you need the majority of the characters to be the originals then you can bring in one or two new ones. When your cast is mostly "other" characters right away you loose the fans of the original book, and if you lose them then why bother using the old team name to begin with. Just looking at the marketing for the last book it looked like the book was about these new characters that most people have never cared about with a couple Gen X characters thrown in.

Of coarse this all is part of the bigger problem with whole concept of "the X-Men". The writers want everyone to graduate to be an X-Men when in most case it never really amounts to much and they end up wallpaper. Getting characters back together should be because they are friends that want to hangout and work with each other.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    That's funny, I liked everyone in the new Generation X BUT Quentin and Eyeboy

Not crazy about Nature Girl either, but I don't actively hate her
    They were in Wolverine and the X-Men, which was the "funny X-Men book" at the time. One of the easiest ways to get me to warm up to characters is to make me laugh. I also like Broo and Kid Gladiator.

BANNED

I actively hated all the students in the new series

Should 616 Blink join up too? Apparently Cable and a circa 2003 team of X-Men saved her from Selene before Necrosha even happened (I wonder if that means she didn't join the DnA New Mutants?)

I'm all for Synch, Maggott, Vincente and Mondo too
    Ive always wanted her to rejoin the original Gen Xers and meet Chamber and Hollow...but for whatever reason they had her join the New Mutants instead. WTF X-Office?!?

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    the new Generation X was boring and had the worst characters, lethargic writing and art
    the original series was superior in every single way and I miss it so much

Attachment 77188
    This, all day, every day! People forget that Synch is was right at the door of having a full blown relationship with Jubilee and Monet was written to be the third leg in a love triangle until some curd of a writer robbed Synch.

Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    Ive always wanted her to rejoin the original Gen Xers and meet Chamber and Hollow...but for whatever reason they had her join the New Mutants instead. WTF X-Office?!?
    She joining NM was a good decision. She fit in well there

I want to see a unique niche carved out for them outside of "the students become the teachers" angle that is a bit overplayed at this point.

Monet, Synch, Jubilee, Chamber, and Husk could come together to solve the mystery of Penance/Hollow who could be housing someone new and it lead to a bunch of literal monster of the week type tales. Make it like NextWave but a little less of a parody (I say this as someone that loves NextWave).

BANNED

becoming teachers is the worst option for any character that I care about :/

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    becoming teachers is the worst option for any character that I care about :/
    I am not into the Fox-Men idea of the X-Men as teachers. It's one thing to mentor a Kitty or a Jubilee, or practice drills in the Danger Room with someone calling the shots, but full on X-Men as teachers just doesn't appeal to me. Xavier was the teacher, the X-Men were the covert action team. The school angle was really just a ploy. When X-Men starts to turn into Harry Potter, I'm not feeling it.

The idea that Generation X would turn into teachers or guidance counselors(when they are really just like 19-21?) is ridiculous. I liked where Paige was headed in the end of Gen X, finding eco-missions and hacking and all this. The idea of Generation X trying to actively save the world would be a nice angle.

Monet can even leverage her intelligence and diplomatic ties to outmaneuver hostile corporations. Mondo and Vincente can get great feats with their elemental meta-morphing. Hollow's story can get them into child trafficking in central Europe.

I'd even position Emma's Hellfire Club as an antagonist, just where they left off in Gen X 75: afraid of Emma. Banshee can be their Interpol connect. Bring back Synch, Skin, and Gateway. The St. Croix twins can be the new/improved Honey Badger type, but like super-smart and dangerous.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Anybody who has problem with the X-men being teachers needs to watch more anime.

My main problem with the X-Men as teachers is that almost none of them are qualified to even be teaching high school level classes. Most of them never even attended college, let alone finished their degrees

What's worse is that some Gen X and New Mutants members like Chamber and Karma have been pidgeonholed as teachers, they're just stuck babysitting kids instead of being members of active teams. They don't get to go into the field, instead it's the same old Kitty/Logan/Storm nostalgia bait team who gets all of the focus while Karma is stuck in the background making sure that none of the students stub their toes.

Last edited by Beetle; 01-21-2019 at 01:23 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Anybody who has problem with the X-men being teachers needs to watch more anime.
    no one needs to watch more or any anime really

I hope your favorite characters become boring teachers, let mine escape that fate

My main problem with the X-Men as teachers is that almost none of them are qualified to even be teaching high school level classes. Most of them never even attended college, let alone finished their degrees

What's worse is that some Gen X and New Mutants members like Chamber and Karma have been pidgeonholed as teachers, they're just stuck babysitting kids instead of being members of active teams. They don't get to go into the field, instead it's the same old Kitty/Logan/Storm nostalgia bait team who gets all of the focus while Karma is stuck in the background making sure that none of the students stub their toes.
    Is the fault of them being teachers or the writer. For example the champions are out and around actively doing stuff why aren't the X-students lead by their "Teachers" doing that? Isn't the exact same concept apparently the writers of champion can write heroes doing lower level mission with slightly more experience heroes giving orders but the X-men can't . Apparently Young Justice cartoon can do that too young heroes being lead by slightly less experience heroes on lower level missions but X-men can't and apparently Young Justice can manage to have Big Guns aka Justice League, Older squad young heroes who separately does missions and at times the old squad members is in charge of younger group of heroes as squad leaders. If X-men choose to focus on "boring stuff" that is on the writers as I said on my earlier post there are numerous stories to point where it is genre and the stories are very exciting. A school of superhumans should never be boring unless that is an active choice of the writer.

As for the none of them being qualified to be teaching. So you are saying that we as X-fans see all the progress of X-students and every aspect of their lives? It is not possible that qualified X-men are teaching the students? It is not possible that Beast has put together a computer based teaching curriculum where they finish high school? It is not possible that X-men college age X-men students are going to school online? The X-men are fighting evil mutants 365 days of year? We are already know that the X-men have been actively keeping New mutants and Gen-x out of combat you think that they aren't schooling them any? I mean is that the mythos you guys are going with? How did Jean Grey get accepted to college? How did Kitty get accepted to college? How did Karma get accept to college? The X-men aren't teaching them anything just putting them into combat? We have years of X-men teaching students now. Do you need to explicitly need to see that all New mutants and Gen-X kids have graduated high school and are going to college?

Anyways enough off topic stuff. On topic X-men should have specific teams to do things and Gen-X as young adult team should have specific purpose.