Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 134
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member Kusanagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,725

    Default My Hero Academia Appreciation 2019

    New Chapter/New Thread!

    Chapter revealed what's going on with Midoriya and just what these new powers are.

    spoilers:
    Seems One for All is not just the core power that we saw All Might use, but it also stored the powers of the users who weren't quirkless, and it's also amplifying them! Black whip is the first to emerge and there will be 5 others. It's now clear Midoriya's power cap is insane, but control might be even harder to maintain.

    That probably could have been a chapter by itself but Monoma's a stupid dick and continues the battle, and the teachers do their standard lets see if Midoriya gets himself seriously injured before jumping in.
    end of spoilers

    So big bombshell and surprisingly this fight isn't going to be put off.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

    Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,547

    Default

    I loved this chapter. The situation with Izuku's quirk has really spruced up this arc.

    spoilers:
    Mr. Funky is one cool inner spirit dude. I really like the subversion that while Izuku's powers are top tier and difficult to control, the spirit(s) inside of him aren't monsters that try to take control over him and run rampant for shits and giggles.

    So besides eventually gaining the ability to use Full Cowl: 100% at will, Izuku will also get six other abilites. That is ridiculous and only tempered by his lack of experience. It'll be a difficult balancing act for Horikoshi in making Izuku develop consistently without making him OP as frick. Also, Shiragaki really needs some upgrades of his own if this keeps going.

    Heh, the best person to teach Izuku to use multiple quirks at once is All For One. That's dangerous and really enticing.
    end of spoilers

    I'm also very happy with Izuku's interaction with Ochako in this chapter. They've got each others' back and they're so sweet together.

    Monoma continues to be a beautiful dickwad.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    This chapter was incredibly exciting and probably the biggest development in the series we've gotten in a long while. This is gonna lead up to a really interesting conclusion to the arc.

    spoilers:
    So now this basically confirms that All Might and Midoryia were the only quirkless One For All inheritors, and I think that's gonna be majorly important!

    I know some people are worried now that Midoryia has access to 6 powers he'll become too incredibly OP, but I think the story has been able to easily not make any of the other character's with supposedly "OP" quirks too overpowered, so I think it will be balanced out. Plus I think its more interesting to see how Midoryia will be able to use these powers to tap into the true purpose of One For All, rather than just simply making him able to beat his classmates more easily.

    I also like that Aizawa doesn't immediately cancel the match and lets it resume for now, since he's somewhat aware that what just happened wasn't Midoryia's fault, and I think his experience fighting alongside him in the Overhaul raid might have helped with his trust. Or maybe he just wants Shinzo to have a chance to fight, either fits for him, heh.

    I am now legitimately curious how everyone else is going to react whenever he eventually starts using multiple quirks, because then its gonna be really hard for him to hide that something's up.
    end of spoilers
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  4. #4
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    9,371

    Default

    I bet Deku will end up losing some of these new powers from the quirkless bullets.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I bet Deku will end up losing some of these new powers from the quirkless bullets.
    I don't think that will be the outcome, The only way Deku needs such a ridiculous upgrade is because he would be fighting All for one or someone with all of his powers.

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I know some people are worried now that Midoryia has access to 6 powers he'll become too incredibly OP, but I think the story has been able to easily not make any of the other character's with supposedly "OP" quirks too overpowered, so I think it will be balanced out. Plus I think its more interesting to see how Midoryia will be able to use these powers to tap into the true purpose of One For All, rather than just simply making him able to beat his classmates more easily.
    It all really depends on what kind of abilities the remaining five quirks are. I can see some of them being varying degrees of situational, and some might just be stuff that isn't suited for direct combat like enhanced sight or something.

    There's absolutely a risk of this making Izuku OP in the end. But I trust Horikoshi enough as a writer to find a good balance going forward with this plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I also like that Aizawa doesn't immediately cancel the match and lets it resume for now, since he's somewhat aware that what just happened wasn't Midoryia's fault, and I think his experience fighting alongside him in the Overhaul raid might have helped with his trust. Or maybe he just wants Shinzo to have a chance to fight, either fits for him, heh.

    I am now legitimately curious how everyone else is going to react whenever he eventually starts using multiple quirks, because then its gonna be really hard for him to hide that something's up.
    I'm thinking that Aizawa does consider that something's up and wants to get a better understanding by observing the rest of the match. Other people will probably be like Monoma who just thought that this was another aspect of Izuku's quirk, which it is but not in the way he thinks.

    I also kinda like this explanation.

    Aizawa: My son will kick your son's ass.

    All Might: ...neither of us have children Aizawa.

    Aizawa: Shit, did I say that out loud?

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Another crazy fun chapter that's continuing the big battle.

    spoilers:
    Midoryia tries to come up with a plan alongside Uraraka to not use his quirk against Shinzo just in case anything goes wrong.
    Mina and Mineta do a pretty good job tag-teaming against the 3 Class B members, with Mineta especially showing his usefulness (while also sneaking in some more excuses to be his pervy self)
    Monoma tries to use One For All against Midoryia, but Uraraka takes him down, with it turning out to be a dud.
    Midoryia faces Shinzo and realizes he's much stronger with his binding cloth than he thought, so he looks into his heart and embraces the black whips to save himself.
    end of spoilers

    Once again really liking seeing, how Vlad puts it, the softer side of Aizawa, at the beginning and then in the flashback. Alot of bigger and smaller revelations that I'm really interested in seeing how they will impact or be reacted upon in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I also kinda like this explanation.

    Aizawa: My son will kick your son's ass.

    All Might: ...neither of us have children Aizawa.

    Aizawa: Shit, did I say that out loud?
    Considering he's also been taking care of Eri pretty much this whole time, Aizawa's got a son and daughter, he's true best dad
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Another crazy fun chapter that's continuing the big battle.

    spoilers:
    Midoryia tries to come up with a plan alongside Uraraka to not use his quirk against Shinzo just in case anything goes wrong.
    Mina and Mineta do a pretty good job tag-teaming against the 3 Class B members, with Mineta especially showing his usefulness (while also sneaking in some more excuses to be his pervy self)
    Monoma tries to use One For All against Midoryia, but Uraraka takes him down, with it turning out to be a dud.
    Midoryia faces Shinzo and realizes he's much stronger with his binding cloth than he thought, so he looks into his heart and embraces the black whips to save himself.
    end of spoilers
    I've seen some interesting theories about why Monoma couldn't copy One For All. My favourites are that it didn't work for him since he can't copy multiple quirks and One For All is literally a bunch of quirks smushed together, and that he only got the transferal quirk that All For One's brother started out with. And I've gotta say it again, I love what this arc has done for Monoma's character and how we've gotten a closer look at the guy. He was always one of the most hilarious parts of the series to me and getting to see how he interacts with his classmates and Shinso and finding out how he feels about his difficult to use quirks makes me appreciate him a lot more.

    I'm also glad that Uraraka takes him down with no problem.

    Shinso and Izuku are good rivals and I'm glad that Aizawa lets that play out and rationally figured out that whatever's going on can be stopped pretty easily by him and Shinso.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Once again really liking seeing, how Vlad puts it, the softer side of Aizawa, at the beginning and then in the flashback. Alot of bigger and smaller revelations that I'm really interested in seeing how they will impact or be reacted upon in the future.
    This arc had a great start, a mixed middle and is heading towards a great conclusion. I am excited to see how it all will impact the kids after the class is said and done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Considering he's also been taking care of Eri pretty much this whole time, Aizawa's got a son and daughter, he's true best dad
    He's definitely one of the top competitors for best Dad in a series filled to the brim with best Dads.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Kusanagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,725

    Default

    It's good to be reminded that Mineta is actually competent, even though he's still a little pervert you want to light on fire.

    Midoriya vs Shinso, whips vs wraps should be good.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

    Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I've seen some interesting theories about why Monoma couldn't copy One For All. My favourites are that it didn't work for him since he can't copy multiple quirks and One For All is literally a bunch of quirks smushed together, and that he only got the transferal quirk that All For One's brother started out with. And I've gotta say it again, I love what this arc has done for Monoma's character and how we've gotten a closer look at the guy. He was always one of the most hilarious parts of the series to me and getting to see how he interacts with his classmates and Shinso and finding out how he feels about his difficult to use quirks makes me appreciate him a lot more.
    That's kind of what I thought, he couldn't copy the whole thing due to One For All's nature of only being able to be passed down by the wielder, so just got the outside look. I hope we get to see him question why this would've happened, since we know he's smart enough to not wanna overlook this.

    I did think it was interesting how earlier he was talking about how every person is a side character in someone else's story, and the protagonist of their own, and how he tries to embrace the former when going after Midoryia, and tripping up. It also shows the contrast between him and Shinzo, how he believes sometimes you need to do something non-heroic to succeed, while Shinzo ends up actually doing something heroic to help Midoryia, and face him in a fair fight.

    This arc had a great start, a mixed middle and is heading towards a great conclusion. I am excited to see how it all will impact the kids after the class is said and done.
    I think this arc has been one of those cases that reading it all together in a volume or seen in the anime will make it much better, due to the pacing feeling a little off due to the shorter chapters. I think getting to see this all animated will make it even more enjoyable, and this looks to be building up to an incredibly exciting next arc.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    That's kind of what I thought, he couldn't copy the whole thing due to One For All's nature of only being able to be passed down by the wielder, so just got the outside look. I hope we get to see him question why this would've happened, since we know he's smart enough to not wanna overlook this.
    Between Izuku's quirk doing stuff that nobody imagined and Monoma being unable to copy it I'm wondering if we're going to see questions being raised about Izuku's quirk around the school. I can't imagine that people will stay quiet about this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I did think it was interesting how earlier he was talking about how every person is a side character in someone else's story, and the protagonist of their own, and how he tries to embrace the former when going after Midoryia, and tripping up. It also shows the contrast between him and Shinzo, how he believes sometimes you need to do something non-heroic to succeed, while Shinzo ends up actually doing something heroic to help Midoryia, and face him in a fair fight.
    Which is also nice development for Shinso since he mentioned how he couldn't always choose the heroic or noble routes in the Sports festival arc. He had to use deceptions and manipulations to catch up with the kids in the hero classes. But now he's able and willing to go one on one with Izuku, like you say.

    And Monoma's views on of the world and himself do paint an interesting portrait. His quirks is basically that he always has to use someone else's quirk to win, or in other words he has to steal/copy from other people to get anything done. So he acts the way he acts partly out of over-compensating for some confidence issues and partly to be more memorable since his quirk wouldn't be easy to remember for the general public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think this arc has been one of those cases that reading it all together in a volume or seen in the anime will make it much better, due to the pacing feeling a little off due to the shorter chapters. I think getting to see this all animated will make it even more enjoyable, and this looks to be building up to an incredibly exciting next arc.
    Oh absolutely. Especially the anime version will most likely see some improvement, mainly in the pacing. And I can just hear Bakugou's theme being played when his team goes to town during their match. That'll be awesome.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Looks to be the conclusion to Round 5 with Chapter 215 and more really cool action.

    spoilers:
    Midoryia successfully utilizes Black Whip, at the surprise of everyone, but he receives an extra shock of pain realizing he can’t handle it at 20% currently, so holds back to 8%.

    Shinzo makes a getaway with Midoryia close by, while Uraraka captures Monoma. As she throws him in the jail cell, he tries to taunt her by bragging about his improvements and any other tricks he may have, including a twin impact trap that Midoryia gets struck by.

    One of Class 1B manages to grab ahold of Mineta, while another starts attacking Mina. Despite being struck, Midoryia is able to quickly recover and counters Shinzo's whip. Uraraka shows up and takes out one the 1B and Mina takes out the other, before then knocking out the one that captured Mineta.

    Midoryia is also able to knock out Shinzo at the same time, seemingly ending the battle with a 5-0 victory.
    end of spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Between Izuku's quirk doing stuff that nobody imagined and Monoma being unable to copy it I'm wondering if we're going to see questions being raised about Izuku's quirk around the school. I can't imagine that people will stay quiet about this stuff.
    I would be surprised if that is not what ends up happening next. Perhaps not all of them right away, but some are gonna find out/realize, and that's gonna directly effect what happens to him going forward.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Kusanagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,725

    Default

    spoilers:
    I'd say Uraraka's getting the best showing outside Midoriya this round. Aside from her bravery in helping Deku, her martial arts are looking to be a constant going forward.
    end of spoilers
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

    Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    spoilers:
    I'd say Uraraka's getting the best showing outside Midoriya this round. Aside from her bravery in helping Deku, her martial arts are looking to be a constant going forward.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'd say she's gets the best showing period. Deku has the most development in terms of his quirk evolving and learning more about the lore of One For All.

    But it's Uraraka that gets most things done in the match.
    - She helps out Deku (both with saving him from the tentacles and getting him to reach Shinso).
    - She takes down Shinso and secures his capture while deftly shutting down his attempts at manipulating and/or tricking her.
    - Then she turns the table on a possible loss by knocking out Yanagi and capturing Kodai with some of Mineta's balls.

    I'm so proud of her.

    I also appreciated the added insight for Monoma's quirk. I hadn't realised that he could copy multiple powers and switch between them. That's a real neat variant on power copying.

    Poor Shinso seemed somewhat betrayed when Deku used Blackwhip again. Opening up isn't easy for him and now he thinks they made him to it to let his guard down. Hopefully Deku can explain things to him. But he did good too, he's got solid mobility now and can fight properly at a range.

    All in all, this was a fun and solid chapter. Best match of the arc IMO.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I would be surprised if that is not what ends up happening next. Perhaps not all of them right away, but some are gonna find out/realize, and that's gonna directly effect what happens to him going forward.
    Yeah, it's not gonna blow up overnight. But some seeds may have been planted.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    New chapter came out a little early this week and nicely wrapped up the Joint Training arc, and bringing in some new interesting developments.

    spoilers:
    Midoryia's team reconfirms their 4-0 win, with the final tally as 1A with 3 wins, 1B with 1 win, and 1 draw.

    Both classes prepare to go over their analysis, with Aizawa questioning Midoryia about his new power. He keeps it vague enough by telling everyone he underestimated his power and didn't realize its potential, before thanking/praising Uraraka and Shinzo for helping him out. Mina teases Uraraka for being awfully close to Midoryia, causing her to blush like crazy, while Shinzo comments how he felt bad he wasn't really doing it to help Midoryia, but for himself so he could fight him.

    Aizawa chastises him for putting himself down, and tells him that everything he's done with his actions prove he has what it takes, and passes his entrance exam, to be admitted into the hero course in 2nd year, though still unknown which class he'll be put into.

    Monoma then starts to taunt how even though they lost, he knows he'll win next time now that he knows what Midoryia's power can, which causes Midoryia to be curious about, until Aizawa interrupts saying that he wants Monoma to meet with him and Eri.
    end of spoilers
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •