Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Horikoshi does seem to have a tendency to go a bit far with Bakugo (as seen with the bullying that has yet to be addressed) and the humor. It is starting to grate on me as well. And while it can still be funny and I don't hate him, it's stuff like this that keeps Bakugo out of my top ten list for the series (and I have freaking Monoma on that list).

Yeah, I've been missing the class a lot in general. And specifically I want to see more of Deku hanging out with Iida and Uraraka. They're his real original friends and I want that trio back. Then **** can start hitting the fan.

A lot of people are actually speculating that all the IzuOcha hinting we've been getting lately is foreshadowing for something that'll get real angsty. ...I don't know how I feel about that.

Yeah, it's still real early in the arc and there's a lot of thing to go through. Gonna be an interesting end of the year for the series.

Which is pretty neat of him. I wonder if we'll ever get a Vigilantes anime. Seems like an obvious move at his point.
    What's funny is, even though I don't really like Monoma all that much, he at least has a reason for being a dick. He recognizes that his power is dependent on taking from others, so in order to succeed, he feels he has to play dirty. Bakugo just has an inferiority complex cause he thinks he's the best.

That always seems to be the issue with Shonen manga in general, even with their weekly release schedule, the side characters never get the time or attention they deserve, or go a long time without any real development. Because yeah, Iida was like part of the Main 3 at the beginning, but he hasn't had any real prominence since the License Exam, just by virtue of the story branching out and not needing him anymore.

I dunno, I don't think there's any more significant shipping hinting now than there was previously, it's all been about the same level, so I don't think it's foreshadowing anything. Besides, I think if anything were to happen between the two, it would probably be a really bad idea. Those 2 really are the only "canon ship/pairing", everything else is just reading between the lines, so I wouldn't imagine them wanting to get rid of it in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Yeah I miss Deku hanging out with Ida and Uraraka, I miss a lot of the class (especially Jiro, Momo and Tsu), which is why I am enjoying the School Brief and Smash books so far, since they then to focus on other characters and the class.

It is surprising that Vigilantes hasn't been animated yet, is it not popular in Japan or something?
    Yeah, that's what I'm glad about School Briefs, the other mini one-shots, and the new Team-Up Missions book that just started. It allows them to do just fun inconsequential stories with these characters, and that's always enjoyable.

I haven't heard any talk of a Vigilantes anime, though I wonder if it may be a case of them not knowing if they want Studio Bones to somehow do it in-between seasons of MHA, or if they wanna outsource it to somewhere else. Finding time in a schedule might be another issue too. With Vigilantes supposedly wrapping up soon, and just how popular MHA is, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about an anime eventually.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah I miss Deku hanging out with Ida and Uraraka, I miss a lot of the class (especially Jiro, Momo and Tsu), which is why I am enjoying the School Brief and Smash books so far, since they then to focus on other characters and the class.
    School Briefs is a great little collection of side stories. I understand that it might be tough to fit in all the lovely slice of life stuff in the main series and still move the plot forward, so I really appreciate getting it in some format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    What's funny is, even though I don't really like Monoma all that much, he at least has a reason for being a dick. He recognizes that his power is dependent on taking from others, so in order to succeed, he feels he has to play dirty. Bakugo just has an inferiority complex cause he thinks he's the best.

That always seems to be the issue with Shonen manga in general, even with their weekly release schedule, the side characters never get the time or attention they deserve, or go a long time without any real development. Because yeah, Iida was like part of the Main 3 at the beginning, but he hasn't had any real prominence since the License Exam, just by virtue of the story branching out and not needing him anymore.

I dunno, I don't think there's any more significant shipping hinting now than there was previously, it's all been about the same level, so I don't think it's foreshadowing anything. Besides, I think if anything were to happen between the two, it would probably be a really bad idea. Those 2 really are the only "canon ship/pairing", everything else is just reading between the lines, so I wouldn't imagine them wanting to get rid of it in anyway.
    Yeah, Monoma's jerk behavior has actually been explored and explained, even before he had his talk with Shinso it was clear that Monoma has a big inferiority complex and acts as he does to overcompensate (on top of him being a little ****). At the same time, there are actually consequences to Monoma's behavior (mainly in people knocking him down and his class just being so tired of him). Which Bakugo's story is lacking.

Most shounen series introduce so many cool and fun characters that they'll never really have time to explore as much as the fans, or the author for that matter, want, and it just hurts every time. Whatever happens during and after Shigaraki's big plan I hope we can get back to focusing on more of the class.

Shipping goggles and internet predictions do weird things to people's perceptions man.
    But yeah, it's probably/hopefully just Horikoshi giving some cute stuff, which is always appreciated.
    I haven't heard any talk of a Vigilantes anime, though I wonder if it may be a case of them not knowing if they want Studio Bones to somehow do it in-between seasons of MHA, or if they wanna outsource it to somewhere else. Finding time in a schedule might be another issue too. With Vigilantes supposedly wrapping up soon, and just how popular MHA is, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about an anime eventually.
    Good point. Studio Bones already has quite a lot on their plate and it's probably wiser to focus on the main series in the seasonal format their using now and wait for a spot for Vigilantes to open up than to force it.

School Briefs is a great little collection of side stories. I understand that it might be tough to fit in all the lovely slice of life stuff in the main series and still move the plot forward, so I really appreciate getting it in some format.

Yeah, Monoma's jerk behavior has actually been explored and explained, even before he had his talk with Shinso it was clear that Monoma has a big inferiority complex and acts as he does to overcompensate (on top of him being a little ****). At the same time, there are actually consequences to Monoma's behavior (mainly in people knocking him down and his class just being so tired of him). Which Bakugo's story is lacking.

Most shounen series introduce so many cool and fun characters that they'll never really have time to explore as much as the fans, or the author for that matter, want, and it just hurts every time. Whatever happens during and after Shigaraki's big plan I hope we can get back to focusing on more of the class.

Shipping goggles and internet predictions do weird things to people's perceptions man.
    But yeah, it's probably/hopefully just Horikoshi giving some cute stuff, which is always appreciated.

Good point. Studio Bones already has quite a lot on their plate and it's probably wiser to focus on the main series in the seasonal format their using now and wait for a spot for Vigilantes to open up than to force it.
    Sadly that's the problem with a large cast, people are going to be left behind

Other than Izuku/Ochacko, the closest the series has to "canon ships" is Twice/Toga and Bakugo/Kirishima, so that tells you how much the series has shipping as its priority lol

I think the closest ones Ive come to latch onto while reading between the lines are Todoroki/Yayorozu, Kaminari/Jiro, and Tetseutetseu/Kendo. Those 3 couples probably have the best chemistry among em all. The rest of the cast are pretty interchangeable among each other.

Extraordinary Member

Other than Izuku/Ochacko, the closest the series has to "canon ships" is Twice/Toga and Bakugo/Kirishima, so that tells you how much the series has shipping as its priority lol

I think the closest ones Ive come to latch onto while reading between the lines are Todoroki/Yayorozu, Kaminari/Jiro, and Tetseutetseu/Kendo. Those 3 couples probably have the best chemistry among em all. The rest of the cast are pretty interchangeable among each other.
    I don't know about Twice/Toga. She's clearly not romantically interested in him (she hasn't even threated to bleed him out or anything) and any affection he has for her might just be exaggerated feelings of friendship since it's Twice. And the age difference is way too iffy. As for Bakugo and Kirishima, they have a big bromance. If one wants to see more of the bro or more of the romance is kinda up to preferences. So yeah, you have a point.

Personally I've latched on to IzuOcha, TodoMomo and TokoTsuyu (Tokoyami/Tsuyu). Which is almost purely based on how fun I think they'd be as a couple, they look neat together and that they've worked well together at least once.

Shipping is a weird matter of perspective.

Romance/Shipping has never been a major part of Shonen Mangas, the old saying "There is no romance in Bleach" springs to mind.

Extraordinary Member

Romance/Shipping has never been a major part of Shonen Mangas, the old saying "There is no romance in Bleach" springs to mind.
    It's more that it's never been at the forefront of shonen action series. But it's often there if one squints, which sadly gives way to lots of interpretations during the squinting that turn out to be wrong and then people get needlessly upset.

Like, in Bleach there was one relationship where romantic feelings were majorly involved. But lots of readers just missed it.

It's more that it's never been at the forefront of shonen action series. But it's often there if one squints, which sadly gives way to lots of interpretations during the squinting that turn out to be wrong and then people get needlessly upset.

Like, in Bleach there was one relationship where romantic feelings were majorly involved. But lots of readers just missed it.
    What makes it more laughable is that after having no romantic story-lines, Bleach ended with a married with babies ending. Generally peoples headcanon is stronger than the actual canon

Extraordinary Member

What makes it more laughable is that after having no romantic story-lines, Bleach ended with a married with babies ending. Generally peoples headcanon is stronger than the actual canon
    We're going to disagree on the quality of the Bleach ending (I really like it and think it makes perfect sense) and since this is not the thread to discuss that topic let's leave it at that shall we.

We're going to disagree on the quality of the Bleach ending (I really like it and think it makes perfect sense) and since this is not the thread to discuss that topic let's leave it at that shall we.
    Agreed.

As for Deku and Uraraka, it seems the most likely to happen as My Hero Academia (for the most part) has Deku as the narrator, so how would he know what happened to Uraraka in the Girl;s changing room unless she (eventually) told him

Extraordinary Member

As for Deku and Uraraka, it seems the most likely to happen as My Hero Academia (for the most part) has Deku as the narrator, so how would he know what happened to Uraraka in the Girl;s changing room unless she (eventually) told him
    It's also his only significant relationship with a female character isn't his mother or Eri, and it's the only one that actively has romantic feelings involved.

And if you'll permit a forced rant. I get annoyed when people call their relationship forced because the signs are all pointing towards them ending up together. That's not what forced means. It'd be forced if the signs were there but they didn't interact regularly, have good chemistry, were important and positive influences to one another, worked well together and just generally liked one another. I get if one doesn't care for the pairing, but calling it forced is just wrong.

I don't know about Twice/Toga. She's clearly not romantically interested in him (she hasn't even threated to bleed him out or anything) and any affection he has for her might just be exaggerated feelings of friendship since it's Twice. And the age difference is way too iffy. As for Bakugo and Kirishima, they have a big bromance. If one wants to see more of the bro or more of the romance is kinda up to preferences. So yeah, you have a point.
    That's why I mentioned those two in particular. They aren't actually "real pairings/couple romances", but they've had far more development for what could be considered an "actual relationship" compared to many other pairings.

Personally I've latched on to IzuOcha, TodoMomo and TokoTsuyu (Tokoyami/Tsuyu). Which is almost purely based on how fun I think they'd be as a couple, they look neat together and that they've worked well together at least once.
    The Tokoyami/Tsuyu is an example because like you mentioned, its very popular in alot of fan groups, but there really isn't any story reasoning to assume them since they've only really interacted a handful of times. So yeah, it's mostly just something for fun based on the ideas of what could be.

But yeah, Shonen romances are always weird in general, because its pretty much just everybody being dense around each other the entire time for comedic effect, until the end when they're all married.

Agreed.

To be fair, I think the "Midoryia as narrator" is only just a vague framework to structure the story, and not actually told directly from his perspective or knowledge. Because then that would open up the question of events like My Villain Academia, etc. where it seems very likely he would know about exactly everything that happened there.

But yeah, it is pretty much a guarantee that those 2 will be together in the end, helps that Midoryia doesn't have a harem of his own unlike many other Shonen portags (Mei doesn't care about him in that way and Toga is Toga so they don't count lol)

It's also his only significant relationship with a female character isn't his mother or Eri, and it's the only one that actively has romantic feelings involved.

And if you'll permit a forced rant. I get annoyed when people call their relationship forced because the signs are all pointing towards them ending up together. That's not what forced means. It'd be forced if the signs were there but they didn't interact regularly, have good chemistry, were important and positive influences to one another, worked well together and just generally liked one another. I get if one doesn't care for the pairing, but calling it forced is just wrong.
    I don't see how it is forced, especially as there is no relationship barring friendship at the moment. Of course the signs are pointing to them becoming an item in the future, that called setting up a storyline. If they just started kissing and making out seconds after meeting then it would be forced

The Tokoyami/Tsuyu is an example because like you mentioned, its very popular in alot of fan groups, but there really isn't any story reasoning to assume them since they've only really interacted a handful of times. So yeah, it's mostly just something for fun based on the ideas of what could be.

But yeah, Shonen romances are always weird in general, because its pretty much just everybody being dense around each other the entire time for comedic effect, until the end when they're all married.

To be fair, I think the "Midoryia as narrator" is only just a vague framework to structure the story, and not actually told directly from his perspective or knowledge. Because then that would open up the question of events like My Villain Academia, etc. where it seems very likely he would know about exactly everything that happened there.

But yeah, it is pretty much a guarantee that those 2 will be together in the end, helps that Midoryia doesn't have a harem of his own unlike many other Shonen portags (Mei doesn't care about him in that way and Toga is Toga so they don't count lol)
    Given it even starts with, this is how I became the world's greatest hero, it seems to pretty much state Deku is the narrator.

Given it even starts with, this is how I became the world's greatest hero, it seems to pretty much state Deku is the narrator.
    He's the narrator, but this isn't a thing where the whole story is told from his perspective so the only things we see in the series are the things he knows or will know, which the story has already proven to be untrue given all the times it cuts to other characters and subplots.

Before we get into the new chapter, we also get reveal for this year's Popularity Poll!

p.txt.jpg

Bakugo coming in at #1 again, and pretty much doubling Midoryia's numbers, is still so insane to me with just how popular he really is. The usual suspects from pretty much every year are still here (the Big 3, Kirishima, Iida, Uraraka, Aizawa, and Momo). Last year's big surprise rankers have dropped out of Top 10, Endeavor (which I'm surprised he didn't end up remaining in some way), Hawks (which was a huge shock considering he jumped all the way up to #4 after less than 10 appearances), and Best Jeanist (which I still have no idea how he made it up so high in the first place, what happened??). Now we got Shigaraki and Toga, making their way up here for the first time (all thanks to My Villain Academia)
    Though I can't help but notice Shiggy turning his back to everyone...what are you hiding, or are you just that shy

For the actual chapter itself, another short one not too much new going on, just setting up for what looks to be an eventual payoff and getting some feels in there.

spoilers:
    Gran Torino asks Aizawa and Mic to try and communicate with Kurogiri, as they believe some of Shirakumo's personality and character may have remained in tact and thus could be reasoned with (considering High-End had similar traits to the man it was created from).

We get some flashbacks of the 3 in their past both before and after Shirakumo's death. Aizawa at first doesn't believe talking will do any difference, and Mic can't even believe they're the same in the first place, but once Kurogiri starts asking about Shigaraki, he breaks down and eventually starts to plead with him to try and remember who he is, talking about the deep relationship the 3 had, to Kurogiri's seemingly confusion. Crying Aizawa is not something I was expecting.

We also get to see a brief glimpse of Class 2-A, Aizawa's previous class in which he had famously expelled. Turns out he wanted to be able to expel and re-enroll the students as a test so they can experience what it means to fail or "die", inspiring them to try harder. We also get to hear the conflicting feelings regarding it, as some believe it helped them be better in the long run, while others felt its not worth it compared to the ramifications it could cause them in the future.

As for what's going to happen to Kurogiri, what I feel like they might go with is him remembering, or at least being aware, that he is Shirakumo, but still refusing to betray the villains or reunite with his old friends, because that's not who he is anymore, which probably would end up being more devastating to Aizawa and Mic than if he didn't remember in the first place.
    end of spoilers