Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Aww, the calm after the storm that is the interaction focused chapter. The are plenty of things to love in this chapter.

Little stuff like the class A kids prefering Midnight's unbiased commentary, Tokoyami and Kuroiro sharing a nerd moment about Izuku's black power, Aizawa being a good dad towards Uraraka and Shinso and Mina requesting that Mineta be punished were great touches.

As a silly shipper I love Mina borderline calling out Ochako's crush on Izuku, and that both Izuku and Ochako turned completely red by it. It was a funny and cute character moment that led into some nice stuff that further cemented Ochako as a kind hearted heroine. It was very nice that Midnight and Aizawa noticed how much she accomplished during the match.

And all the love Shinso got was well deserved. I wonder which class he'll end up in next year. Hell, the fact that they're moving into a new school year has me quite excited as well. I wonder if there will be any shifts before then.

Monoma meeting up with Eri? That's an interaction I never knew I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post

Yeah it makes so much sense. He can give insight on how her power works and he known for shown good control over other people powers. Credit to writer this obvious now but I think most of us didn't realize it. I hope we get to see a future story at some point if series isn't going to do a time skip. I think Monoma would be a great teacher at the school

As a silly shipper I love Mina borderline calling out Ochako's crush on Izuku, and that both Izuku and Ochako turned completely red by it. It was a funny and cute character moment that led into some nice stuff that further cemented Ochako as a kind hearted heroine. It was very nice that Midnight and Aizawa noticed how much she accomplished during the match.

And all the love Shinso got was well deserved. I wonder which class he'll end up in next year. Hell, the fact that they're moving into a new school year has me quite excited as well. I wonder if there will be any shifts before then.

Ochako was probably the stand out of the whole round, she really took the most initiative in terms of strategy and pure skill combining her powers and natural strength.

I'm not sure how exactly the school system works in Japan again, but we are in the winter time currently in the story, so we should be coming up on the 2nd year very soon, and I'm very curious what this is going to mean for the story, will we get repeats of the Festivals? I've seen some people wonder if they'll replace someone in Class 1A with him, or they'll just make him the 21st, since there's an extra bedroom in their dorms.

I am both very excited and very nervous about that. Because Monoma being able to copy Eri's quirk may help her find a way to control it more easily, but on the other hand, Monoma's been acting very sketchy lately, and he's not really a people person, so giving him that power AND with her is a recipe for disaster. We just gotta hope Midoryia and Mirio are there just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yeah it makes so much sense. He can give insight on how her power works and he known for shown good control over other people powers. Credit to writer this obvious now but I think most of us didn't realize it. I hope we get to see a future story at some point if series isn't going to do a time skip. I think Monoma would be a great teacher at the school
    It's clever because most of us were focusing on the question of "Can Monoma copy One For All?", and now that the question's (mostly) answered, he's answering another question we didn't think about but makes complete sense. Kind of like how he handled the questions about Shinzo's powers earlier.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Monoma as a teacher is a great idea. His general understanding of other people's quirks and great flexibility would lend itself well to such a profession. And Monoma being a dramatic douche would make his interactions with kids a laugh riot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Ochako was probably the stand out of the whole round, she really took the most initiative in terms of strategy and pure skill combining her powers and natural strength.
    She took out 3 out of the 5 opponents and helped save Deku. Heck yeah she was the stand out, Bakugo is the only other person who did nearly as much during their match.
    I'm not sure how exactly the school system works in Japan again, but we are in the winter time currently in the story, so we should be coming up on the 2nd year very soon, and I'm very curious what this is going to mean for the story, will we get repeats of the Festivals? I've seen some people wonder if they'll replace someone in Class 1A with him, or they'll just make him the 21st, since there's an extra bedroom in their dorms.
    I've seen some speculation that the traitor might be revealed before the next year and that Shinso will then take their place. I've also long wondered how the second sports festival will be handled, it would be nice to see since all the kids have come so far since then but do we want an entire other arc for it? Depends on what happens before it I guess.
    I am both very excited and very nervous about that. Because Monoma being able to copy Eri's quirk may help her find a way to control it more easily, but on the other hand, Monoma's been acting very sketchy lately, and he's not really a people person, so giving him that power AND with her is a recipe for disaster. We just gotta hope Midoryia and Mirio are there just in case.
    I don't know about that. I'd say that if anything, this arc has shown that Monoma is much more charismatic and insightful than previously thought. He gets along well with Shinso and offered solid words of comfort for those in class that didn't do so hot during the matches, and we've seen several times (both in this arc and during the sports festival) that his classmates often kinda defer to him as a leader figure, while at the same time being aware that he is a douche that needs to be smacked every now and again to reign in his more abrasive behavior. It's a really fun dynamic they hav going.

I don't know about that. I'd say that if anything, this arc has shown that Monoma is much more charismatic and insightful than previously thought. He gets along well with Shinso and offered solid words of comfort for those in class that didn't do so hot during the matches, and we've seen several times (both in this arc and during the sports festival) that his classmates often kinda defer to him as a leader figure, while at the same time being aware that he is a douche that needs to be smacked every now and again to reign in his more abrasive behavior. It's a really fun dynamic they hav going.
    That's true, though I do think alot of his actions, during this round at least, have kind of made more aware of a more sinister and dubious side to him. Like how he believes that people like he and Shinzo must have to resort to non-heroic actions in order to make it through, something Shinzo rebuffs, and just last chapter after the round's completed, Monoma has a suspicious new obsession of wanting to take control of Midoryia's quirk, which feels to me like there's something else going on in his mind.

Extraordinary Member

That's true, though I do think alot of his actions, during this round at least, have kind of made more aware of a more sinister and dubious side to him. Like how he believes that people like he and Shinzo must have to resort to non-heroic actions in order to make it through, something Shinzo rebuffs, and just last chapter after the round's completed, Monoma has a suspicious new obsession of wanting to take control of Midoryia's quirk, which feels to me like there's something else going on in his mind.
    I wouldn't call it an obession. Dude was confused why copying Izuku's quirk didn't work out for him and later uses that as an excuse for why his team lost.

As for his reasoning that he needs to use un-heroic tactics. Shinso thought the same for similar reasons during the sports festival, then he had some character development and is now trying his best at being more of a standard hero. Monoma hasn't had that kind of character development yet, but he's got this inferiority complex (both regarding his quirk and class A's accomplishments) and un-heroic methods are just what he deems to be the best way of fighting.

I wouldn't call it an obession. Dude was confused why copying Izuku's quirk didn't work out for him and later uses that as an excuse for why his team lost.

As for his reasoning that he needs to use un-heroic tactics. Shinso thought the same for similar reasons during the sports festival, then he had some character development and is now trying his best at being more of a standard hero. Monoma hasn't had that kind of character development yet, but he's got this inferiority complex (both regarding his quirk and class A's accomplishments) and un-heroic methods are just what he deems to be the best way of fighting.
    Yeah, there just seems something sketchy about the way he's been talking about everything, beyond just his normal personality. Either way, I do think his reaction to Eri and her quirk will be the ultimate test to see how he handles himself helping out through something only he can do.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, there just seems something sketchy about the way he's been talking about everything, beyond just his normal personality. Either way, I do think his reaction to Eri and her quirk will be the ultimate test to see how he handles himself helping out through something only he can do.
    It will be interesting to see how Monoma interacts with somebody outside of the two classes and teachers, especially someone like Eri.

Come on Monoma you beautiful little ****, I believe in you!

This was another short chapter, however unlike alot of the other ones it didn't feel that short, had alot of meat in terms of character progression and hinting towards things to come.

spoilers:
    Midoryia tells Bakugo and All Might about discovering the use of multiple quirks in One For All, which All Might's learning for the first time. He also mentions Nana's master was a young black haired man. Bakugo theorizes it has something to do with All For One. He then tries to fight Midoryia to get him to unleash his Black Whip, which he can't due to placing a mental block on the ability back during the fight.

Class 1A and 1B celebrate their fights by hanging around in the common room, where Todoroki asks Midoryia about possessing two quirks, which Midoryia rebuffs as just being an extension of his previous work. Todoroki compliments Midoryia in how much he has improved, before commenting on how he still has much to learn, leading to asking Endeavor to teach him about "Flashfire"

The next day Shinzo's class is decided, and Present Mic tells to Aizawa how similar he is to him, as well as someone named "Shimaguro", who Aizawa deflects. He goes to meet up with Eri and Monoma, who are joined by Midoryia and Mirio (to make sure Eri is not completely freaked out by Monoma). He then reveals he's unable to copy Eri's quirk, and also explains why he was unable to copy One For All; he can only copy fundamental abilities, not accumulative power that converts energy into something. Eri starts to get upset for causing so much trouble, but Midoryia steps in to make her feel better, reminding her of all the good she can do with her power, and how they'll both work to improve together.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

This was a nice round up chapter for the arc as the series takes a one week pause and we'll get into something new in the next chapter.

I'm glad that the quick scene of the two classes just hanging out was there. It's a good decision to show that they're all still friends and hold no grudges for how the matches went down. If anything, they all seems to have gotten closer.

I enjoyed Deku and Shoto's little talk. It's to the point and shows how close they are. I also find it quite funny that Endeavor just stopped mid-battle, which he seemed to be winning effortlessly, to check on the message Shoto sent him.

Monoma did not disappoint. Eri could see/sense that he's a douche but he wasn't particularly mean or anything towards her. We don't get the particulars about why he can't fully utilize Eri's quirks, just a general description of why some quirks are duds for him. That makes me wonder what's being set up in regards to Eri's quirks down the line.

And I am a giant sucker for scenes where Deku is a great role model and source of encouragement for Eri (who is especially squishy and cute this chapter). So his little speech to her was a good highligh to end the arc on.

And that's set up with mentioning Shiragumo (whoever that is beyond probably that dude we saw in the flashback last chapter) is quite intriguing.

I'm glad that the quick scene of the two classes just hanging out was there. It's a good decision to show that they're all still friends and hold no grudges for how the matches went down. If anything, they all seems to have gotten closer.
    That was a really nice quick scene, Kirishima and Tetseutetseu being best boys screaming at each other was wonderful. Also Mineta's sight gag was perfect.

I enjoyed Deku and Shoto's little talk. It's to the point and shows how close they are. I also find it quite funny that Endeavor just stopped mid-battle, which he seemed to be winning effortlessly, to check on the message Shoto sent him.
    Todoroki's always been great with bluntness towards Midoryia, going all the way back to "Are you All Might's secret love child." I always like seeing this supportive of him, though I can't help but wonder what he will think when he finds out the truth, Bakugo even funnily comments on how dumb he is for missing all the clues. That was really funny with Endeavor, even if I think his laughing after the response was a little odd.

Monoma did not disappoint. Eri could see/sense that he's a douche but he wasn't particularly mean or anything towards her. We don't get the particulars about why he can't fully utilize Eri's quirks, just a general description of why some quirks are duds for him. That makes me wonder what's being set up in regards to Eri's quirks down the line.
    I think also using Fatgum's quirk as another example of something Monoma couldn't copy helps to get a better sense of what he can or can't do. It also makes sense how we wouldn't know about this until now because every time he's used his power has been in competitive settings, so he's obviously not gonna explain everything, but now that he's helping someone outside the environment, there's no reason to hold back that information. And just like he copied the Full Cowling aesthetic, it's a nice touch he still copied Eri's horn even if it didn't do anything.

And I am a giant sucker for scenes where Deku is a great role model and source of encouragement for Eri (who is especially squishy and cute this chapter). So his little speech to her was a good highligh to end the arc on.
    Anytime Eri shows up it's always completely squishy and adorable so I'm all for more of that. Midoryia is best big brother.

And that's set up with mentioning Shiragumo (whoever that is beyond probably that dude we saw in the flashback last chapter) is quite intriguing.
    If I had to guess, it seems to be indicating that maybe Aizawa failed to help one of his students, who either died or became a villain, which is why he invests so much into the other heroes, and particularly Shinzo, to help give them a chance he couldn't. Shows another really interesting side to his character and I wonder where it's gonna go.

Extraordinary Member

I went ahead and re-read the latest arc in one small binge. It really does read better that way.

The action is fast and well executed, there's tons of enjoyable character moments and interactions, several "neglected" characters get their moment to shine to either be cool and/or have an aspect of their character more fully examined, we get tons of new information about One For All and Shinso is confirmed to get into the hero course. It's just a smorgasbord of things fans have wanted to see in the series for a while now.

Though, the stakes are fairly small and depending on which characters you like, you might be disappointed with their performances (poor Momo fans).

But overall, it's a fun and brisk arc that actually does move the story forwards.

Not sure what I want to see next arc focus on, but I do hope that we'll check in with the League of Villains next chapter.

684694.jpg

I think the translater made an error here.

684694 - Copy.jpg

Now that's more accurate.

A VERY interesting start to a new arc. A lot more world building with a new perspective on how quirks function in society, and seeming to set up Bakugo and Todoroki getting the focus in facing the new threat.

spoilers:
    We're introduced to a very Joker-looking character, head of the Detnreat Company, who wants to expand his resources for people with quirk deformities beyond just for hero work. While discussing everything, he brings up the readings of the "Quirk/Super Power Liberation Army", which his assistant criticizes for being pretentious acts of terrorism. And then gets his neck snapped.

Turns out he's one of the children of Destro, the Army's original founder and an extremist who pushed for people to use their quirks whenever and wherever and committed suicide in prison. The children meet up with a plan to take out the League Of Villains before the government and heroes can.

At this same time, Bakugo and Todoroki complete their Remedial Course training, and just 30 minutes after receiving their license, go to fight a villain rampaging the streets.
    end of spoilers

A VERY interesting start to a new arc. A lot more world building with a new perspective on how quirks function in society, and seeming to set up Bakugo and Todoroki getting the focus in facing the new threat.

spoilers:
    We're introduced to a very Joker-looking character, head of the Detnreat Company, who wants to expand his resources for people with quirk deformities beyond just for hero work. While discussing everything, he brings up the readings of the "Quirk/Super Power Liberation Army", which his assistant criticizes for being pretentious acts of terrorism. And then gets his neck snapped.

Turns out he's one of the children of Destro, the Army's original founder and an extremist who pushed for people to use their quirks whenever and wherever and committed suicide in prison. The children meet up with a plan to take out the League Of Villains before the government and heroes can.

At this same time, Bakugo and Todoroki complete their Remedial Course training, and just 30 minutes after receiving their license, go to fight a villain rampaging the streets.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who got Joker vibes off of the new character (especially some of the animated timverse Jokers), he of course backs it up by murdering the hell out of his employee and it cinched it when he was walking out with that hat and jacket.

The fact that they wish to destroy the league is intriguing, wondering how the logic goes there. Perhaps if there wasn't such a criminal element people would have more freedom to use their quirks? *shrug*
    end of spoilers
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!