Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

More 90´s boring stuff!! will we ever get rid off this annoying come back? Why do we have to suffer to satisfy the daydreams of some middle aged guys now in charge of the X Office? Re running the X Men at their lowest (90´s period) is not going to turn the clock back 25 years for you!! Be adults and admit you are heading to your 50s and stop wrecking the X Men!
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Rob Liefeld built his career on what 90s kids wanted. And in fairness at the time I guess he got it right. But kids these days don't watch the same shows and don't really like the same things 90s kids wanted. I don't think they're as impressed by massive guns.
    Cartoons are much more cynical. He'd be better off creating a mutant that looks like a talking onion whose ability is dead pan one liners if he wants to continue with his ethos.

Liefeld is that crazy uncle we simply smile and nod at.

Also, that costume needs moar pouches.

Mighty Member

X-istence.. you lost me at that��

I really really hope this is something we can just ignore and has no influence on the other x-books . I mean I appreciate liefeld's enthusiasm but that's as far as my appreciation for him goes.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    More 90´s boring stuff!! will we ever get rid off this annoying come back? Why do we have to suffer to satisfy the daydreams of some middle aged guys now in charge of the X Office? Re running the X Men at their lowest (90´s period) is not going to turn the clock back 25 years for you!! Be adults and admit you are heading to your 50s and stop wrecking the X Men!
    I'm a dinosaur and even I would have avoided this crap like the plague. It's not an age thing. Even if I did want to relive the glory days, these are not the glory days that I would want to reintroduce. Was never a fan of the "mutant with big guns" tripe.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Another mini/event that I'll avoid, with this and Age of X-man I'm going to save a lot of money ignoring both of them.

Rob Liefeld is the only Image artist whose art never improved. It's kinda sad, actually.
    Please Remain Calm

That looks awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I predict; Moajor X is grown up Cable
    The last thing we need right now is more alt Cables. Let's keep it at one and not get outta control like we did with Wolverine. Until the original comes back at least.

Standard Liefeld thread a bunch of people telling tired jokes about feet and pouches , a bunch of people complaining about his art style when they are way worse artist( Yes tho Liefeld arguably a bad for someone who gets high profile stuff ) and bunch of people who never really pick up his stuff complaining about him (if you pick up Liefeld early marvel stuff and early image you shouldn't have any real complaints about him his art is line with other stuff at the time). Yes he has faults but never do people give him credit for his ability to create ,it is easy make fun but think about how many things he created goes on into hands of another creator and people love it from Deadpool, Shatterstar, Domino to Glory,Youngblood, Prophet. He does have the ability to make memorable design even when he is rip off another concept(yes that is actually skill). Okay my slight Liefeld is defense done.

I am looking forward to Whilce Portacio stuff in this I hope he bring his A game. There is far too much complaining about mostly self contained story that will not doing anything much to main X-line other than put maybe character one character into play. Note I am not saying people can't complaining about Liefeld, over time he has gotten lazy his old stuff is far better than his new stuff and he has settled doing carticure of his work basically understands you are either here for his art or you aren't and his "flaws" are now quirks. Like manga style and abstract style art I accept it for what it and move on. I don't care for his art on a superhero comic but if say he was doing a Gears of War comic then he would be in his element. Hopefully more it leans into 90s style action heroes than standard superheroes stuff
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-20-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Amazing Member

Stab my eyes, not Leifield, please, please, please.
    Sorry Killerbee, but I have read early Liefield, primarily X-force & Cable & then some of his later stuff e.g. that reboot of Cable X-Force from several years ago & it was.....truly awful. Given that he's been drawing for several decades he should have learned to draw by now, understand how the human body flexes & moves & what perspective is. I remember, unfortunately some of his Captain America stuff where Captain America appeared to have bigger boobs than me....and I haven't even mentioned feet, pouches & constipated faces.

Cable - my favourite character - my heart bleeds for you :-(

Mighty Member

I would have been perfectly fine if Liefeld didn't do an alternate universe route. I actually believe some kind of lost city of mutants would be a fun idea.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Rob Liefeld is the only Image artist whose art never improved. It's kinda sad, actually.
    Let's not be too harsh. His art has … evolved. You can tell that there has been some growth in his work. Stylistically, some things remain the same, and I think that's what most people are nitpicking.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Rob Liefeld built his career on what 90s kids wanted. And in fairness at the time I guess he got it right. But kids these days don't watch the same shows and don't really like the same things 90s kids wanted. I don't think they're as impressed by massive guns.
    Cartoons are much more cynical. He'd be better off creating a mutant that looks like a talking onion whose ability is dead pan one liners if he wants to continue with his ethos.
    This was what I was going to say. I agree. I was in my 30s and really disliked Liefeld's work; Claremont was gone, and his plans were shattered. But my son--in elementary school--LOVED Liefeld's comics. I can't deny the power Liefeld had over that pre-pubescent boy demographic Marvel wanted to attract.

But it's many years later, as you say! A whole new generation, and Marvel should want to attract young girls as well as boys. And "big guns" and macho posturing with all that "Luke my son, my son" inherited from Star Wars and the Terminator films, that's not where we're at now. Marvel even realized that when they invented Hope, and made Cable her "father."

But as for Rob Liefeld, we don't really know what he's going to do. I think we're being really judgmental here (like that is so rare for X-fans). The cover art might be a nostalgia-fest but Liefeld is a pro, and he's a survivor in the comics business, and I don't think he's going to give us a retread. I'm willing to wait and see. (Even though Liefeld said his plot involves LITERALLY going back in time to the year 1991. Which according to the sliding Marvel time-line would be before the Fantastic Four went up in their shuttle/ship, before Xavier founded the X-Men, while Magneto was still working for MI6 and Mossad, when Rogue was still a little girl and Storm was a goddess in Africa, etc. Marvel time 1991 is entirely different from real-world year 1991, which saw Claremont pushed off the X-Books and started Harras' reign of terror.)

For the record though, as I've posted multiple times, I hated the 90s. I hated what Harras and his crew did to the X-Men and certain characters, and times have changed so much, Marvel is SO WRONG to want to return to the 90s in any way. The last thing the X-MEN need now is retreading the 90s, all things considered.