Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I wish Johnny Quick was still around since he really stood out from the Flash's. These days where DC complains the speedsters are too similar he wouldn't have that problem.

For one thing he isn't named the Flash. His costume is very different. He uses the formula. I like how Waid used this to contrast him when the other speedsters were all for the more mystical speed force.

He also has the superhero family dynamic being married to Liberty Bell and the father of Jesse Quick. Also I think he was able to fly at one point.

A lot of different, interesting aspects to explore of his that other speedsters don't have.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sadly, I've never been able to see Johnny as more than a second rate speedster, though I admit I haven't had the best exposure to him or was mostly reading stories he was in for The Flash (Jay or Wally).

But I have the DC Universe app now and am using it to read stuff I missed when it was being published (either due to not being alive or not having the funds to read everything). What are some stories that I should check out where Johnny gets to shine? What are your favorites?
    I'm not a Johnny Quick expert but I would say check out All star squadron as posted above and Waids Wally Flash run if you haven't read that.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sadly, I've never been able to see Johnny as more than a second rate speedster, though I admit I haven't had the best exposure to him or was mostly reading stories he was in for The Flash (Jay or Wally).

But I have the DC Universe app now and am using it to read stuff I missed when it was being published (either due to not being alive or not having the funds to read everything). What are some stories that I should check out where Johnny gets to shine? What are your favorites?
    DC used to reprint some of Johnny's stories in Flash's comics of the mid-1970s, particularly during their 100 pages for $1 phase. You can find those on both Comixology and the DCUniverse apps.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    DC used to reprint some of Johnny's stories in Flash's comics of the mid-1970s, particularly during their 100 pages for $1 phase. You can find those on both Comixology and the DCUniverse apps.
    Actually, those 100-page Super Spectaculars in the 1970s were cover-priced at 50¢ and 60¢, not $1.00 cover price (at least in the U.S.).

reprinted "Stand-In for 100 Convicts!", originally from Adventure Comics #190 (July 1953)

reprinted "The Slowpoke Crimes!", originally from Adventure Comics #129 (June 1948)

reprinted "Tubby Watts, Efficiency Expert!", originally from Adventure Comics #174 (March 1952)
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 07-01-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I'm not a Johnny Quick expert but I would say check out All star squadron as posted above and Waids Wally Flash run if you haven't read that.
    I read Waid and Johns' runs which is kind of where I got that vibe. He was clearly not on Jay/Wally's level and just felt like someone who was in the running but never really a contender.

His wife and daughter always seemed more interesting than Johnny. I kind of like him because of his mantra idea, but ultimately I've been looking for those stories to really sell me on him. I'll check out some of his All-Star Squadron appearances to see him when he's more of a focus.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Of all the speedsters, he is probably the one depicted as the most human. Even in his later years, he still seemed a bit immature and thoughtless. His flaws actually made him a bit more relatable that Jay, Barry, or Wally. He's definitely more of a supporting character than a lead character, as he just doesn't have the presence that Jay, Barry, Wally, Jessie, or Max have. In addition to the other recommendations, I'd add the following:

Blackest Night: JSA - He is resurrected as a Black Lantern, but we never see him behave quite like one. You almost believe that his goodness, his heart, and his love for Jessie enabled the real Johnny's personality to stay in control. The parts with him and Jessie are quite touching.

Young All Stars - He recurs as a pseudo big brother/father figure to the post-Crisis Golden Age Fury. She was the post-Crisis replacement for Earth 2 Wonder Woman, and was the biological mother to Infinity Inc's Fury. She was empowered by the Furies of myth, and extreme circumstance would see her possessed by and transformed into one of them as the Blood Avenger. She's initially a bit of a dark character, but heroic when not possessed by the Blood Avenger.

Still, if I had to choose between non-Flash speedsters, Max or Jessie would be my choices over Johnny. Part of that is that I didn't care for the depiction of a somewhat bitter divorce between Johnny and Libby. Dramatic, sure, but it is a well at which DC & Marvel seem to be camped. It is an easy, lazy source for drama.
    Last edited by mikelmcknight72; 07-01-2019 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Add verbiage

This story was originally in More Fun Comics #76 (February 1942), but I read it when it was reprinted in Wanted: The World's Most Dangerous Villains #7 (March-April 1973).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    This story was originally in More Fun Comics #76 (February 1942), but I read it when it was reprinted in Wanted: The World's Most Dangerous Villains #7 (March-April 1973).

Dr. Clever is such a dumb name but man he looks so deliciously evil. Would love to see him more. Another Dr. evil next to him too.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Dr. Clever is such a dumb name but man he looks so deliciously evil. Would love to see him more. Another Dr. evil next to him too.
    Looks like Dr. Clever's first appearance was in More Fun Comics #74 (December 1941):

And he's listed as appearing two other times beyond issue #76.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

In terms of modern Johnny Quick appearances, don't overlook James Robinson and Paul Smith's The Golden Age. He plays a major part in that.

Plus, if I recall correctly, he showed up in the JSA series from the early '90s.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    In terms of modern Johnny Quick appearances, don't overlook James Robinson and Paul Smith's The Golden Age. He plays a major part in that.

Plus, if I recall correctly, he showed up in the JSA series from the early '90s.
    Yes, he was in that 10-issue run from 1992-1993 that also introduced his (and Liberty Belle's) daughter, Jesse Quick.

DC was supposedly going to publish a collected edition of that run back in 2016 (see: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...eries-tpb-what) and even listed revised versions of that in their "DC Essential Graphic Novels" catalogs in 2017 and 2018, but nothing ever seemed to come of it?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yes, he was in that 10-issue run from 1992-1993 that also introduced his (and Liberty Belle's) daughter, Jesse Quick.

DC was supposedly going to publish a collected edition of that run back in 2016 (see: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...eries-tpb-what) and even listed revised versions of that in their "DC Essential Graphic Novels" catalogs in 2017 and 2018, but nothing ever seemed to come of it?
    Yeah, it's a real pity that this series isn't being reprinted. I have fond memories of it but I lost the issues years ago so I may well have checked it out.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.