Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3X2(9YZ)4A! Golden Age Johnny Quick (Johnathan Chambers) Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This is a continuation of the previous "3X2(9YZ)4A! Golden Age Johnny Quick (Johnathan Chambers) Appreciation Thread", which can be read here:
    From the original thread (started by back in August of 2018),

Johnny Quick's debut was in More Fun Comics #71 (September 1941), which also at that time co-featured Doctor Fate, The Spectre, and others.

As for how he got his super-speed, it all had to do with reciting that simple formula:

...and didn't Johnny say a less-well-known mathematical formula to end his powers?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    ...and didn't Johnny say a less-well-known mathematical formula to end his powers?
    Not that I recall, but who knows what could have been retconned in when I wasn't following comic books . . .

I thought it was something like "Z25Y(AB)6" or something. I am sure I got a few letters wrong, lol.

Did anything further ever come of this (from The Flash Annual #1 for 2018):

Astonishing Member

No, nothing came from Flash War except Bart coming back, being ignored for a few months, then disappearing into Young Justice.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I thought it was something like "Z25Y(AB)6" or something. I am sure I got a few letters wrong, lol.
    I don't remember the exact formula, but I'm certain you're correct. I think that was one of his original gimmicks, and they kind of ignored it in All-Star Squadron.

Edit: you are indeed correct. The formula was Z25Y(2AB)6. At least, that's what Don Markham said.

You know, it's too bad they dropped that. There's something interesting about a speedster with two settings, all or nothing.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 03-16-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I don't remember the exact formula, but I'm certain you're correct. I think that was one of his original gimmicks, and they kind of ignored it in All-Star Squadron.

Edit: you are indeed correct. The formula was Z25Y(2AB)6. At least, that's what Don Markham said.

You know, it's too bad they dropped that. There's something interesting about a speedster with two settings, all or nothing.
    Thanks! I thought I remembered that as being part of the original power set.

I agree, it was interesting. Sort of like "Shazam!"

from the previous version of this thread:

from All-Star Squadron #8 (April 1982)

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XI (January 1986)

BANNED

Johnny Quick and Liberty Belle are two of my favorite JSA affiliated characters. I love drawing them.

Boisterously Confused

One thing I don't much like about "The Speed Force" approach is that it doesn't leave room for Jonny's Magic Formula approach. The mechanics of Jonny's powers have to be fitted to The Flash's.

In my head-cannon, JQ is about inertia manipulation. He's flying even when he runs. He's actually faster when he flies, but more maneuverable when he runs (he can use his legs to steer on the ground, whereas in flight, it's all brute-force propulsion). His relfexes are superhuman, but they increase in proportion to his velocity (Einstein's view of time and speed).

One thing I don't much like about "The Speed Force" approach is that it doesn't leave room for Jonny's Magic Formula approach. The mechanics of Jonny's powers have to be fitted to The Flash's.

In my head-cannon, JQ is about inertia manipulation. He's flying even when he runs. He's actually faster when he flies, but more maneuverable when he runs (he can use his legs to steer on the ground, whereas in flight, it's all brute-force propulsion). His relfexes are superhuman, but they increase in proportion to his velocity (Einstein's view of time and speed).
    I agree. I liked having Johnny with a different source of his speed powers.

Astonishing Member

It's a reasonable complaint but tying Johnny into the Speed Force is what brought him back in the first place. I do think Waid should've done more with Johny's flight capability in ROBA and the follow up arcs that had Johnny, though, since that was the unique thing the Quick's could do that the others couldn't. That said, "inertia manipulation" is basically the core Speed Force power anyhow. It's why Savitar and Wally can shift speed around rather than just run fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    It's a reasonable complaint but tying Johnny into the Speed Force is what brought him back in the first place.
    Which time?

As far as I'm aware, the "Speed Force" was a concept from post-CoIE continuity.

Prior to Crisis on Infinite Earths, besides having several of his stories reprinted back in the 1970s, Johnny Quick first "returned" back in 1978:

DC Special Series #11 - The Flash Spectacular (May 1978)

Also, he was part of the All-Star Squadron starting in 1981:

from All-Star Squadron #1 (September 1981)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Sadly, I've never been able to see Johnny as more than a second rate speedster, though I admit I haven't had the best exposure to him or was mostly reading stories he was in for The Flash (Jay or Wally).

But I have the DC Universe app now and am using it to read stuff I missed when it was being published (either due to not being alive or not having the funds to read everything). What are some stories that I should check out where Johnny gets to shine? What are your favorites?