Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What DC/Marvel crossovers are canon?

This is a really fascinating video that mentions that there was one match-up of DC and Marvel that is considered canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MisAkBx0u7E

Such an idea interested me, so I decided to do some research, and came to this very interesting page.

https://www.quora.com/Which-comics-a...ossover-series

Here are some excerpts of what they give as evidence for canonicity of certain crossovers...

Spider-Man and Batman(1995)

In the later DC vs. Marvel (considered canon, apparently) Spider-man(Ben Reilly as this was during the Clone Saga) sees Access and is accidentally teleported away to Gotham in front of the Joker. Joker recognizes him and points out the new costume(referencing the events of the previous Spider-man/Batman crossover, though Joker has occasionally made references to non canonical events,likely due to his insanity.)Spider-man says he’s never seen him before(which makes sense since it’s not Peter Parker).

Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances (1995)
    Kyle Rayner designs a logo for a coffee shop in this series which we see late run the canonical series. In the comic Parallax: Emerald Knight, Parallax mentions having chased Cyborg Superman: “across the universe and even into another”. The character Access makes an appearance and he is important later. In Extreme Justice #18 Blue Beetle uses a "fibrous polymer" to entangle two opponents which will "dissolve in an hour or so", and explains he "got the recipe from this guy who just drifted through from some alternative universe recently", referring to Spider-Man. However this is ignored in the other canonical crossover JLA/Avengers.

DC vs. Marvel (1996)
    The character Access is introduced as a being connected to both universes:

JLA/Avengers (2004)
    The site just randomly says that this is a canonical crossover.

There is also apparently something called Crossover Earth, which is where these titles take place...
    Uncanny X-men and the New Teen Titans(1982) (this features Darkseid and Thanos, so is it officially what ScrewAttack was talking about?
    Batman/Daredevil (1997)
    Batman & Daredevil: King of New York (2000)

Thoughts?

I wanna say JLA/Avengers was still canon in the pre-flashpoint universe.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't think any of them are canon. DC comics exists in the Marvel universe.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

I don't think they're truly compatible, since DC's multiverse only has 52 realities, while Marvel's has far, far more.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Yeah I just looked it up, in JLA: Syndicate Rules the events of JLA/Avengers are heavily referenced but the Marvel names aren't used.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    JLA/Avengers (2004)
    Actually, I'm not so sure that Screwattack was actually saying that JLA/Avengers is canon. The fact that the Infinity Gauntlet doesn't work outside of its own home universe is well-established in Marvel lore. It was established at least as far back as Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four run. As they were saying, the three founding Reeds of the Interdimensional Council of Reeds discovered that their own Infinity Gauntlets/Stones could not function outside their respective universes. That is where I think they got the data that ultimately gave the fight to Darkseid. However, JLA/Avengers was simply another story in which that idea came into play, whether or not the story itself is canon.

Now would I like these stories to be canon? Of course I would. I don't think there's anything more fun than a DC/Marvel crossover. I wish they were still doing them...

Yeah I just looked it up, in JLA: Syndicate Rules the events of JLA/Avengers are heavily referenced but the Marvel names aren't used.
    Yeah the arc starts with the team looking at the “cosmic egg” that Krona was trapped in at the end of JLA vs Avengers. They talk about incursions from alternate earths and this leads to the story with the Crime Syndicate. Both stories were written by Kurt Busiek so it’s not surprising he made some connections. So yeah, JLA/Avengers is technically in continuity. DC characters have interacted with Marvel doppelgängers from Earth 8 so they could just say it was just another event like that. Multiversity showed that the 52 earths are just one cluster in a potentially infinite amount of multiverse groups, kinda like galaxies. So somewhere out there the Marvel universe exists.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-18-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't think any of them are canon. DC comics exists in the Marvel universe.
    That would fall in with the old Pre-Crisis notion that Earth-One had comics about the Earth-Two heroes. The DC writers of Earth 616 (and others) are somehow tapping into events in the DCU as a basis for their stories.

Astonishing Member

This is a really fascinating video that mentions that there was one match-up of DC and Marvel that is considered canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MisAkBx0u7E

Such an idea interested me, so I decided to do some research, and came to this very interesting page.

https://www.quora.com/Which-comics-a...ossover-series

Here are some excerpts of what they give as evidence for canonicity of certain crossovers...

Spider-Man and Batman(1995)

In the later DC vs. Marvel (considered canon, apparently) Spider-man(Ben Reilly as this was during the Clone Saga) sees Access and is accidentally teleported away to Gotham in front of the Joker. Joker recognizes him and points out the new costume(referencing the events of the previous Spider-man/Batman crossover, though Joker has occasionally made references to non canonical events,likely due to his insanity.)Spider-man says he’s never seen him before(which makes sense since it’s not Peter Parker).

Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances (1995)
    Kyle Rayner designs a logo for a coffee shop in this series which we see late run the canonical series. In the comic Parallax: Emerald Knight, Parallax mentions having chased Cyborg Superman: “across the universe and even into another”. The character Access makes an appearance and he is important later. In Extreme Justice #18 Blue Beetle uses a "fibrous polymer" to entangle two opponents which will "dissolve in an hour or so", and explains he "got the recipe from this guy who just drifted through from some alternative universe recently", referring to Spider-Man. However this is ignored in the other canonical crossover JLA/Avengers.

DC vs. Marvel (1996)
    The character Access is introduced as a being connected to both universes:

JLA/Avengers (2004)

There is also apparently something called Crossover Earth, which is where these titles take place...
    Uncanny X-men and the New Teen Titans(1982) (this features Darkseid and Thanos, so is it officially what ScrewAttack was talking about?
    Batman/Daredevil (1997)
    Batman & Daredevil: King of New York (2000)

Thoughts?
    There was some concept where Access character was part of both the DC Prime Earth and Marvel 616 Earth and could cross between them almost at will. I think the idea included that the so-called "Crossover Earth" was part of his powers where he could somehow amalgamate things. If he could combine Superman and Captain America to create a Super Soldier who had his own unique "memories" then how much easier to create situations where Superman and Captain America simply "remembered" each other as part of the same history?

So Batman or Spider-man would enter the other universe and for the time they were there everyone acted like they'd always been part of that universe. When they left whatever they did in that universe still happened, but whether people remembered it the way it happened was less constant. Spider-man might recall his adventure with Batman but assume it was Moon Knight, Daredevil, or some skilled nut who thought he was a fictional hero. In some cases the memories might remain although exactly how a real Batman popped up in Manhattan would be vague.

Astonishing Member

I've heard dc reference the V's events a few times, never seen it in marvel iirc

Retired

MGM'S MARVELOUS WIZARD OF OZ (1975). That was DC and Marvel's first crossover and it still holds up.

One of the main plot lines in JLA/Avengers was about reality shifting. So the DC heroes could still remember an event happening with another earth but just be a little fuzzy with the details kinda how Crisis on Infinite Earths was handled for a number of years. Something big happened, a cosmic threat was averted, they had interactions with another earth.

The fact that the Infinity Gauntlet doesn't work outside of its own home universe is well-established in Marvel lore.

Yet they worked just fine in the ultraverse for a year. That was bull. It's a dumb recon that has been used but was not the case before. Marvel vs dc is canon (at least pre flashpoint) in fact access showed up in a issue of green lantern and when he wasn't home went to find silver surfer!

Also access wiped the minds of all the worlds making them forget each others world in his last mini series! This is why the jla didn't know the avengers. Only access, the watcher and jubilee (who has a diary of the whole thing) still remember the events of marvel vs dc!

The only thing about avengers vs jla is the avengers have a member who lived in the dc universe once and didn't talk to her! Mantis should have had some role! Also hated how they had two full pages about how awful the marvel universe was but dc only got two panels or so and that's it. It felt uneven.

Both worlds have good and bad. You need to give the same amount of time for both.

And yes joker did know spidey in marvel vs dc.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Actually, I'm not so sure that Screwattack was actually saying that JLA/Avengers is canon. The fact that the Infinity Gauntlet doesn't work outside of its own home universe is well-established in Marvel lore.
    That's not the part of the video I was referring to. There's a part where they very directly state there was a crossover between the two characters that is considered canon, but they don't mention what it is or why it's supposed to be canon.

Extraordinary Member

That's not the part of the video I was referring to. There's a part where they very directly state there was a crossover between the two characters that is considered canon, but they don't mention what it is or why it's supposed to be canon.
    What part are you referring to? All I remember is that they reference a panel from JLA/Avengers at the end of the video to explain how the Infinity Gauntlet doesn't work outside its home universe, but they don't say whether its canon or not. When actually explaining why it doesn't work, though, they refer to Hickman's FF.