View Poll Results: Do you want Jon de-aged?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 72.52%
  • No

18 13.74%
  • Undecided

18 13.74%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm 100% sure this is just a storyline, just read it and see what happens.

I'm fine either way, honestly.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Let me ask you; why does Superson's exist. Why was Damian fast-tracked to randomly be the best friend of some kid who wasn't even in his social sphere. Why isn't Damian best friends with simply some other random kid? At the time of Damian and Jon meeting I don't even think that Superman and Batman at the time even knew each other, but the sheer fact that he was the son of Superman meant that he and Damian were suppose to be friends because the Bats and Supers are suppose to be friends. He an heir to a legacy his dad put together over the last 80 years.

Jaime Reyes would imo be an example of a legacy character who has received nothing. In fact Jaime actually did end up missing a year of his life IIRC.
    Because the ongoing adventures of Superman's son and Batman's son is fun for kids, and has a lot of brand power behind it. It's an easier sell than "The Adventures of Batman's son and Ben From Three Houses Down".

I think it's not a good fit for Damian, as a character- but I get the reasoning.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-19-2019 at 06:10 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Let me ask you; why does Superson's exist. Why was Damian fast-tracked to randomly be the best friend of some kid who wasn't even in his social sphere. Why isn't Damian best friends with simply some other random kid? At the time of Damian and Jon meeting I don't even think that Superman and Batman at the time even knew each other, but the sheer fact that he was the son of Superman meant that he and Damian were suppose to be friends because the Bats and Supers are suppose to be friends. He an heir to a legacy his dad put together over the last 80 years.

Jaime Reyes would imo be an example of a legacy character who has received nothing. In fact Jaime actually did end up missing a year of his life IIRC.

What? Goku has often been shown to have a crazy work ethic even training full stop even in times of piece. And Superman in the old days at least had a crazy dedication and work ethic. The whole reason he became a reporter was so that he could know where Superman needed to be. Dude worked like a hauss 24/7 and pretty much devoted his life to fighting injustice. Even scans of him as a kid usually showed he had a distaste for bullies and crooks.

I think you're conflating talent with a lackadaisical disposition. Superman has had great power from day one and personally I like it like that but it was always combined with the drive to do real good with it; otherwise he'd be powerful with no real direction in life with which to use it.
    supersons exist because there was already a supersons concept/comic that existed before.And editors wanted to try it out again,since jon and damian both were part of continuity at the same time.so,if my dad had a friend who had a son.then chances of us being friends are higher.If superman was best friends with let's say wally west and he had a son. then chances of jon and that kid being friend or atleast playmates is higher.ofcourse,children have to like each other and hit it off.In this case since they are characters fans had to like them.they did,their comics had good sales,so the duo was cemented.I don't understand,how being friends with Damian is a great privilege. how is this any different than Kon and Tim being friends.Or barbara and Kara hanging out.That is the point of legacy.

Batman and Superman had been friends with a version similar to each other. so,essentialy they had pretty good idea about who each other was.Batman wanted to keep Jon under observation.which meant superman and batman were seeing alot of each other.then damian somehow got the word that Jon fried a cat decided to take thing in into his own hand.So in a true Damian fashion kidnapped him.That doesn't prove any privilege.

I am sorry but Jaime Reyes received ton of things.I mean he is blue beetle.if i am not mistaken they tried Booster gold and Jaime reyes duo.same way,damian and Jon or bruce and clark are friends.Heck!green arrow and green lantern became friends because both of them were green.And correct me, if i am wrong doesn't Jaime also have ted now.

Jon being Superman's son has been nothing but trouble for him.he was kidnapped atleast 4 times.tortured and been used as bargaining chip.the kid could have had a normal life.He still tries to keep it together and he is just 10 years old.he goes to school,does his homework and chores,on top of doing heroics and that too before bed time.He helps out same reason Clark does.What else is he supposed to do?his power are basically eratic,one second he is strong as superman. and the other he is getting cuts from falling. he had to deal with solar flare ability of superman that could kill him(unlike Clark who is invulnerable) and everyone else around him since it is more uncontrollable and destructive than a normal flare.He also fried his cat the first time he got his powers.His powers aren't like Clark's .it is out of control.And he got rejected by the titans for the same reason,to add insult to the injury.

right! the guy who pushed himself so hard for days and weeks that he fainted mid flight and had to get himself home by walking.when he somehow got home,could not even get to his bed properly.oh yeah!he does not work hard, push himself or have any kind of drive strong enough to help people.get outta here with that nonesense.Yes, i am talking about superman and in tomasi's run.

Goku doesn't work hard.he is borderline obsessed with getting stronger and being the best fighter.he ignores every other thing he is supposed to do.That in itself is not a great work ethic.Heck!puts the world in danger for a stupid fight.Gohan and Goten basically had to raise themselves.
    he trains hard alright,but so does tien,krillin,piccolo,roshi..etc.Why aren't they just as strong.the only reason goku started outclassing the humans and others is because he is a saiyan.it took master roshi 50 years to invent,develop and master kamehameha wave.goku comes in learns it in minutes.he is not strong just because of his training and work ethic, but also because of his genetics.he is not some paragon of hard work and getting better.He was always meant to be stronger.Heck! Vegeta had to scratch and claw to get every transformation and to keep up with goku.unlike goku,who got it because he is pure hearted or he is genius and some other bullshit explanation.He doesn't have the most versatile arsenal tien,android 17,hit,piccolo,roshi..etc have way better arsenal than goku.guess what? they had to develope their own techniques.something Goku never bothered to do.All his techniques are passed down from someone else.Any "hard work" theme in DBZ is pretty superficial.

Rock lee and guy had no ninjutsu ,no genjutsu and they basically sucked at taijutsu.their intelligence was nothing to brag about.Even with all these limitation.they became a splendid ninjas through sheer will power and hard work.They got no power ups.There ability actually has a heavy cost.So,they are meant to signify hard work and persistance.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-21-2019 at 01:45 AM.

BANNED

Well DC wanted a modern-day take on this series of tales so badly.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-Sons

So after months I finally made it to the LCS, and am up to date on the whole Jon thing. Assuming #7 was the latest, right?

I am far less concerned than I was. I'm still not 100% sure if we're gaining more potential than we're losing, but.......****, that was fun. It was interesting, and I'm intrigued to see where it goes (I don't really read interviews so all I hear is third-hand rumor). I love my cosmic Super-stuff and this could really work for me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So after months I finally made it to the LCS, and am up to date on the whole Jon thing. Assuming #7 was the latest, right?

I am far less concerned than I was. I'm still not 100% sure if we're gaining more potential than we're losing, but.......****, that was fun. It was interesting, and I'm intrigued to see where it goes (I don't really read interviews so all I hear is third-hand rumor). I love my cosmic Super-stuff and this could really work for me.
    Did u read it all the issues in one sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    This is my first time posting outside the wonder woman boards. I'm generally more of a lurker but I felt I had to get some of my thoughts on this of my chest. I also didn't see a poll asking this, so, Do you want Jon to be de-aged from his current seventeen form, and if so how do you think it should be done?

I'm 100% for de-aging him. I like the dynamic he had with Damian in Supersons, I can't see anyway to salvage or maintain it with Jon being significatly older than Damian. 13 and 17 is just too much of difference. There's also serious future long term storytelling issues with Jon being permanently aged up.

Honestly, how can Lois and Clark possibly, realistically and logically explain the permanment disappearance of their ten year old child to their friends , co-workers, and quite possibly, Child Protective Services? Are they going to claim he died? How are future writers suppose to handle the fact the everyone not part of the Superhero comunity thinks that Lois and Clark lost their ten year old son? If Lois reveals that Superman fathered Jon, how are they suppose to handle the fact that their friends will think Lois cheated on Clark and how will they the fact to public Superman had an affair with a married woman? If they reveal the whole deal with Clark's secret ID, you know they're going to have to put that genie back into the bottle eventually, which takes us back to square one. Are they going to erase people's knowledge that Jon existed as Clark's ten year old son with his secret Id? This whole thing reeks of snowballing into a massive continuity tumor. I feel like I'm putting a lot more thought into this than anybody at DC actually has. Ten year olds don't just disappear and when they do it's a big deal. The only way I can see to avoid that is to get Jon de-aged asap, preferably before Lois and Clark start having to lie or come clean on their secrets to a lot of people.
    Apologies if other people have similar ideas, I haven't read the rest of the thread.. just saying.

YES, absolutely de-age him. And it wouldn't be hard to do - seven years passed for Jon, but young Jon is still "out there" somewhere. So eventually they find a way to get him back. That leaves the 17 year old Jon as a bit of a time anomaly, which is fine (and could be an interesting twist having them both for awhile) - and eventually 17-year old Jon meets up with the Legion of Superheroes, leading to a whole new "Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes" book. He can then come back from time to time, leaving DC to have it's cake and eat it, too.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Apologies if other people have similar ideas, I haven't read the rest of the thread.. just saying.

YES, absolutely de-age him. And it wouldn't be hard to do - seven years passed for Jon, but young Jon is still "out there" somewhere. So eventually they find a way to get him back. That leaves the 17 year old Jon as a bit of a time anomaly, which is fine (and could be an interesting twist having them both for awhile) - and eventually 17-year old Jon meets up with the Legion of Superheroes, leading to a whole new "Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes" book. He can then come back from time to time, leaving DC to have it's cake and eat it, too.
    Didn't we just have stuff with Jon split inti Red and Blue versions as well as Damian and Jon interacting with their adult selves in the Super-Sons mini. Wouldn't it be just as easy to have the kid who came back be a sincere duplicate (not some evil plot) who may or may not be the original Jon alongside a version "rescued" shortly after duplication who himself may or may not be the original. No time anomaly stuff just a case like Peter and Ben both being Spider-man except having no intention of telling us which was the clone.

I still believe the method to de-age him, if that method is part of the plan already or is decided later on, would fit best with the eventual removal of Jor-El. A reversion back to his natural history would directly erase the events that aged Jon in the first place.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

The fact that Tim Drake keeps being de aged is bad enough. He should be a solid 21 now based on time passing in universe and on page, but that Bendis aged him down again and aged up Jon is ridiculous. I'm dreading what he's doing to Talia with the whole psychopathic middle eastern/Eurasian woman thing that DC does as Bendis has already been taken down by non comic blogs like the Mary Sue for his treatment of women of color. This is just another load of crap on the poop sandwich that has been DC's direction for the last year and a half starting with Selina saying yes.

I don't care if Didio doesn't want family oriented stories about parents raising children. I do, and based on the fact that Saga is one of the top selling comics and graphic novels that's has no stigma over being read by people over twenty who listen to NPR and otherwise wouldn't be classified as geeks or nerds, I'm not the only one. But that would require writing adult stories, with characters of assorted ages, that twenty years later could be reread without cringing, and possibly with greater enjoyment based on how the reader has grown and can appreciate nuances they missed before.

Which is way out of Bendis's pay grade and skill level. Hence his aging Jon up and de aging Tim again.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I can't really say one way or another, time will tell but I have one thing to say about how some people have come to view Superman and his universe. If you have a bunch of emotional baggage you've accumulated from reading other comics you can not bring it here and expect the Superman universe to be a pallet cleanser. You can't see Superman as viable because you've been reading too much Batman, Ironman, etc and want to balance out your reading material. Part of what is wrong with modern Superman is that they had to adjust his characterization whenever Batman was around so that they could maintain that idiotic opposites garbage they were stuck with through out it. His behavior is at times being dictated by outside forces and it makes no sense when he predates most things in the DCU.

As for the kid. He was nothing before. If you remove the fact that his dad is Superman then he's just a kid with the typical brick powerset, fast, strong. laser eyes. His dog, his lineage, his best friend, and especially his purported role as the legacy Superman all just came from his dad. The concepts of hard work and dedication in the Superman character had already been picked away over the years as Superman tries increasingly to be "normal" (see Tyler Hoechlin) but the kid in some ways was like the final version of that erosion. Just getting stuff because you dad was someone important is some Romanoffian crap that can be left to Aquaman.

My honest hope is that Jor-El Piccolo'd Jon in space and he's ready to put in some real work to carve out his place in the Superman lore now rather than what Clark has been doing for the last couple of decades where he loafs around unless either the worlds about to end or the work is extremely easy and takes little effort. If the kid wants to be Superman he needs to earn it but he also needs to show he brings something to the table that's actually new. At least now there's the potential that it's possible he can do that. There's something in his life that meaningfully separates him from his dad.
    Superman's powers, lineage, dog and technology are all things that were handed to him because of who his father was. This idea of hard work granting you great stuff has never existed in the Superman mythos. Or if it did it started getting erased around the Silver Age.

And how is Jon being friends with Damian due to Clark being his father?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Superman's powers, lineage, dog and technology are all things that were handed to him because of who his father was. This idea of hard work granting you great stuff has never existed in the Superman mythos. Or if it did it started getting erased around the Silver Age.

And how is Jon being friends with Damian due to Clark being his father?
    Well, Superman's powers are unstable for jon can even be the cause death for him. And about the dog,Clark got the dog because he was part of the el family.Tech and other stuff i agree. In General, i agree the privilege argument is stupid when dealing with legacies.

De-age him. But Bendis won't because i don't think he likes Jon. Why age him up and bring back Conner? Why repeat the same thing that was done to Chris? He is trying to get rid of the Character one way or the other. Aging up to the ripe age to kill him off or to the age where Supes and Lois don't have to look after him or to the age where he can be shipped off to another team no one is writing currently.

Either way, Jon was dead the moment Bendis took over.10 years old Jon is not even the Jon we know. From the very beginning, Jon has acted differently. The fact that he would go with Jor-el because the Teen Titan didn't let him join (even though he is not a teen and they already explained that they were having problems because some of their teammates chose to side a killer) was daft.

After this Jon arc, the character will either be shelved indefinitely or be ruined further. Must hope he does not ruin the Character like New 52 Kon to the point where other writers will lose interest in Jon like Conner.

Kon93

You all make some good arguments.

Just like the outcry for OG wally west, DC will cave someday and being back Lil jon(lol). Not to mention all the other media that will use Jon coming our way, and it'll be Lil Jon they will use, so more caving, it'll just to long to do it imo.

Jor needs to go back where he belongs and his Rebirth history wiped from existence.

If they want 2 Jon's, have 1 with the Legion called superman, and 1 in the present called superboy, superlad, superson, and someday superman seconds.

I think this is Superman fans first real welcome to Bendis moment,I would bet money that this aging up story doesn't go anywhere or it is design to take Jon off the board. And the Legion of Superheroes option seem like the best option to get Jon off the board and let Bendis write Superman and Lois without a kid. The good news is Bendis will probably put toys up when he is finish so Jon unless he becomes hugely popular in this form he will be back to his normal form. I don't see any big need to deage him right away but as a note X-men Blue with teen 05 went on wayyyyy longer than it should.