View Poll Results: Do you want Jon de-aged?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 72.52%
  • No

18 13.74%
  • Undecided

18 13.74%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Because the fandom wants/wanted to see Jon grow up over the years. Not be 10-11 one issue, and then 17-18 the next he appears. It skipped out on a LOT of storytelling that really hasn't been seen since Dick's Robin years.
    I suppose that makes sense, but Damian has been like that since Batman and Son in 2006, for almost 15 year now.
    So do excuse me if I have little faith for DC to let a character grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    So effectively your suggestion is an impractical, unrealistic expectation and comes across as patronizing and a little insulting.
    Eh. I wouldn't go that far. But I do agree that the problem isn't as easy as Lois and Clark just....having another kid. If they did go that route, is there a chance that that kid would be just as endearing as Jon was? Possibly. But it's still not Jon. Folks don't want a replacement Jon after Jon just got aged up into a replacement Clark. They want the character that they loved back. Because, let's be real, this new guy that Bendis made...He's not Jon.

Dude's a completely different character who was basically born from Jon's death. Sure nobody's the exact same person at ten as they are at 17 but damn. He grew up and lost everything even remotely fun or likable about him. Now he's just your stock dollar store teen character who's about as interesting or memorable as one of those lesser known Teen Titans. Like Protector XD

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    I suppose that makes sense, but Damian has been like that since Batman and Son in 2006, for almost 15 year now.
    So do excuse me if I have little faith for DC to let a character grow up.
    To be fair, it may be slow but Damian has been growing up. And at this point, he's been around long enough for a sudden age-up to not hurt nearly as much as it did with Jon. We've gotten over a decade with Damian and we've gotten to see how much he's grown over those years. Even if that decade for us has only been about three or four years for him. We didn't get to have that with Jon. It felt like we were really just starting to get to know him when suddenly he's replaced by the bland lego brick of a character that we have now. Would it still suck if Jon had been around for as long as Damian had before they did this? Yes, because the man he's grown up into sucks. But it would at least be a lot less...jarring. I'd at least feel like we covered a lot of ground with the character before they decided to morph him into something unrecognizable.

And honestly DC can just pump out all the Super-Sons book they want since they are not constrained by continuity anymore.
    That's honestly kind of a problem too. While I love that the Super Sons books are back, I'm not a huge fan of them now being stuck in this little pocket of time between the end of their last series and where they are now. That doesn't leave a lot of room for either of them to develop as characters and grow with the world around them since they're now stuck in one specific period.

It's better than nothing, of course. But it's still...kinda disappointing.
    Last edited by Blue22; 12-25-2020 at 05:43 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Eh. I wouldn't go that far. But I do agree that the problem isn't as easy as Lois and Clark just....having another kid. If they did go that route, is there a chance that that kid would be just as endearing as Jon was? Possibly. But it's still not Jon. Folks don't want a replacement Jon after Jon just got aged up into a replacement Clark. They want the character that they loved back. Because, let's be real, this new guy that Bendis made...He's not Jon.

Dude's a completely different character who was basically born from Jon's death. Sure nobody's the exact same person at ten as they are at 17 but damn. He grew up and lost everything even remotely fun or likable about him. Now he's just your stock dollar store teen character who's about as interesting or memorable as one of those lesser known Teen Titans. Like Protector XD

To be fair, it may be slow but Damian has been growing up. And at this point, he's been around long enough for a sudden age-up to not hurt nearly as much as it did with Jon. We've gotten over a decade with Damian and we've gotten to see how much he's grown over those years. Even if that decade for us has only been about three or four years for him. We didn't get to have that with Jon. It felt like we were really just starting to get to know him when suddenly he's replaced by the bland lego brick of a character that we have now. Would it still suck if Jon had been around for as long as Damian had before they did this? Yes, because the man he's grown up into sucks. But it would at least be a lot less...jarring. I'd at least feel like we covered a lot of ground with the character before they decided to morph him into something unrecognizable.
    Yeah, I suppose that's kind of the reason, I blame Bendis.
    His Legion run is just, meh, so aging up Jon really wasn't worth it.

Incredible Member

But it's like I pointed out, this whole rodeo happened before,
    and the result is that Chris Kent is left in Limbo for over ten years,
    only Morrison was gracious enough to use Chris Kent as the Superman in Multiversity The Just.
    And honestly DC can just pump out all the Super-Sons book they want since they are not constrained by continuity anymore.
    First of all, there is still a single main universe continuity post Death Metal. That Omniverse "getting rid of continuity" stuff from Rich clearly has turned out to be completely wrong, just as I expected. And just because they can, do, and always have, produced stuff alternate continuity stuff, none of it changes the changes fact the that from where we're looking at things the main universe Jon Kent has been derailed and broken, and we want him fixed. It's not enough for us to maybe occasionally get stuff like the OGN Super-Sons or Challenge. We want and need the main universe version of Jon to be de-aged. You're still being patronizing and pretending not see or understand our points.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    First of all, there is still a single main universe continuity post Death Metal. That Omniverse "getting rid of continuity" stuff from Rich clearly has turned out to be completely wrong, just as I expected. And just because they can, do, and always have, produced stuff alternate continuity stuff, none of it changes the changes fact the that from where we're looking at things the main universe Jon Kent has been derailed and broken, and we want him fixed. It's not enough for us to maybe occasionally get stuff like the OGN Super-Sons or Challenge. We want and need the main universe version of Jon to be de-aged. You're still being patronizing and pretending not see or understand our points.
    Well, sure, clearly you are in the majority here so I won't argue.
    I'm just saying that just like Dick and Wally, maybe Jon can grow up to be his own thing.
    You guys want to see Jon as a kid, cool, good for you and merry christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Merge them so Clark can have his history with the Legion back and be the founder of the UP.
    Now that would be a creepy-ass storyline. I could see it now: Jon isn't just reminiscent of New 52 Superman because of costume choices and what not....he IS the new 52 Superman. Reincarnated as the son of the pre-Flashpoint Superman. And holding with Superman Reborn logic, they're still two halves of a whole needing to be merged. So essentially Lois's son...is her husband. Its a Silver Age comic book cover, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Now that would be a creepy-ass storyline. I could see it now: Jon isn't just reminiscent of New 52 Superman because of costume choices and what not....he IS the new 52 Superman. Reincarnated as the son of the pre-Flashpoint Superman. And holding with Superman Reborn logic, they're still two halves of a whole needing to be merged. So essentially Lois's son...is her husband. Its a Silver Age comic book cover, lol.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

yeah!not a fan of the armoured look.Why do they even go for that is beyond me.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Jonathan Lemkin is that you? lol

This is like what happens in the aborted script for Superman Reborn (the 90s movie adaptation of DoS) by Jonathan Lemkin. Superman became his own son after being killed by Doomsday. And grow up super fast too.

Man, I had forgotten about that pitch till now. Superman Lives/Reborn is always a source for laughs.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I didn't at first but now i do. It just doesn't make sense to me now when Damian is still the same age and Bendis knew he was going to bring Conner back. So why does there need to be so many supermen that given a bad artist you won't be able to even tell apart now. Just seems like a waste when you could use conner for those stories. Personally i think Legion would have been a more interesting series if Jon wasn't aged and Damion went with him in hindsight.

But Bendis did do a good job of making the supes family a family again.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

The way I see it, Jon is an anomaly and the writers should lean into that fact in his stories. He owes his existence to a multiversal Brainiac tampering with the timestream. Then when you add in the shenanigans with Mr. Mxyzptlk and Dr. Manhattan, and the time-displaced Jor-El, it just adds more fuel to the fire. I voted undecided. Jon as an anomaly is a unique being in the DCU and everything he's gone through in his short existence should be embraced as canon to the character. Aging him or de-aging him doesn't matter to me. The way the writers chose to introduce him meant we were never going to see him actually grow up and see Lois and Superman go through a natural progression of learning to be parents. We've already had 2 time jumps with him that skipped over his baby years and early childhood. Just embrace it and let Jon be a cosmic anomaly.

I kinda want "anomaly Jon" to be friends with Linda Danvers' daughter with Silver Age Superman, the Supergirl One Million. I think her name is Ariella Kent?

I would never have thought of that without the concept of Jon as a cosmic anomaly already chucked onto the table though, ��
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    The way I see it, Jon is an anomaly and the writers should lean into that fact in his stories. He owes his existence to a multiversal Brainiac tampering with the timestream. Then when you add in the shenanigans with Mr. Mxyzptlk and Dr. Manhattan, and the time-displaced Jor-El, it just adds more fuel to the fire. I voted undecided. Jon as an anomaly is a unique being in the DCU and everything he's gone through in his short existence should be embraced as canon to the character. Aging him or de-aging him doesn't matter to me. The way the writers chose to introduce him meant we were never going to see him actually grow up and see Lois and Superman go through a natural progression of learning to be parents. We've already had 2 time jumps with him that skipped over his baby years and early childhood. Just embrace it and let Jon be a cosmic anomaly.
    technically, the majority of all of that could also be applied to Clark just as much as Jon. And like Clark and the dozens of other major dc characters with histories affected by retcons and reboots, one could argue embracing all that is a valid way to go but it can also be a hinderance that can muck up what made these characters appealing in the first place. See Donna Troy. Hell look at poor Conner Kent, last couple years since he's been back basically did the same thing. Focused all that time on explaining how he exists again, with all those cosmic anamoly stuff. My understanding was leaning into that had mixed results at best.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 12-31-2020 at 04:22 PM.