View Poll Results: Do you want Jon de-aged?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 72.52%
  • No

18 13.74%
  • Undecided

18 13.74%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Kon93

DC must not give that much of a care about Jon if they will let him be changed so drastically.

He is fundamentally changed as a character
    He is fundamentally changed as a concept

This isnt a 30 year old aging up to a 37 year old,10 to 17 is very dramatic change in life.

Defend away,but jon the character must not mean as much as the "story potential"that changing him brings....keep telling yourself that

BANNED

HELL YES, did DC not learn their lesson from Chris Kent? and they destroyed Kon as well when they so radically started changing him. Its not like Jon was around for decades and starring in a solo book that was tanking and therefore necessitating a stunt. I would have disliked it even then but it would have been understanding, this is just Bendis being Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This is totally not picking on you or whatever, but I'm just using your quote because you summed it up.
    No worries.

I have to wonder why we're talking about Jon in terms of other characters and age groups rather than just, ya know, him.

The arguments I hear against his age up seem to point to more of a fascination with his concept in a panoramic sense.

Again, I'm just making an observation.
    It's a fair question, absolutely.

I don't really have a concrete answer. I myself see Jon as part of Clark's world; a supporting character more than a character unto himself. So in my head, Jon is more of a puzzle piece that has to fit into the larger Super whole, rather than an independent factor. And as the "teen son of Superman" there's more overlap with Conner than there was when Jon was ten, which makes the puzzle piece that is Jon seem more redundant.

But really, it *is* a unfair comparison and it's not even a deep one. Jon is part of Clark's supporting cast, which Conner never was. Clark and Conner did have (rare) moments with a father-son dynamic but Clark's dynamic with Jon is built completely on that idea, with connections and ties that Conner never had. It is unfair, but I guess at the end of the day in a lot of fans' heads (including mine I guess) Clark had a teenaged son and a ten year old one, which seems enough of an age difference to make each stand apart. Now they're both about the same age, and the overlap seems more pronounced.

And honestly, I think the reason why people are fine with Conner and Kara is because they've both been around long enough for readers to make room for them in their heads. We accept Conner and Kara being about the same age because it's been like that for over twenty years. For myself, well, you know I've never been a big fan of Kara from a conceptual level and I honestly forget she's there half the time.

As I said before, I'm withholding judgement and Jon being aged up doesn't bother me nearly as much as it seems to bother some other posters here. But Jon does seem less unique now. And even if that weren't a factor, I always prefer to see a status quo milked for all its worth before being changed and I think there were a lot of miles left in ten year old Jon; it seems like wasted potential to me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Yes. Allow the kid time to grow up properly and have experiences that he can only have once with his dad.

Master Hero Vladimir

Look, I definitely want Jon to be a 10-year-old again but I admit I'm interesting to see what Bendis does with a teenage Jon, especially regarding the drama with his family. Superman and Lois are completely shocked that they missed out on Jon's formative years and that will come with its fair share of suspense and dramatic tension.

Astonishing Member

I can't really say one way or another, time will tell but I have one thing to say about how some people have come to view Superman and his universe. If you have a bunch of emotional baggage you've accumulated from reading other comics you can not bring it here and expect the Superman universe to be a pallet cleanser. You can't see Superman as viable because you've been reading too much Batman, Ironman, etc and want to balance out your reading material. Part of what is wrong with modern Superman is that they had to adjust his characterization whenever Batman was around so that they could maintain that idiotic opposites garbage they were stuck with through out it. His behavior is at times being dictated by outside forces and it makes no sense when he predates most things in the DCU.

As for the kid. He was nothing before. If you remove the fact that his dad is Superman then he's just a kid with the typical brick powerset, fast, strong. laser eyes. His dog, his lineage, his best friend, and especially his purported role as the legacy Superman all just came from his dad. The concepts of hard work and dedication in the Superman character had already been picked away over the years as Superman tries increasingly to be "normal" (see Tyler Hoechlin) but the kid in some ways was like the final version of that erosion. Just getting stuff because you dad was someone important is some Romanoffian crap that can be left to Aquaman.

My honest hope is that Jor-El Piccolo'd Jon in space and he's ready to put in some real work to carve out his place in the Superman lore now rather than what Clark has been doing for the last couple of decades where he loafs around unless either the worlds about to end or the work is extremely easy and takes little effort. If the kid wants to be Superman he needs to earn it but he also needs to show he brings something to the table that's actually new. At least now there's the potential that it's possible he can do that. There's something in his life that meaningfully separates him from his dad.

I'm on the fence but I'm generally interested as to what Teen Jon is like. I can see Bendis de-aging him at the end of his run or exploring whether that idea would be a good character choice for everyone involved.

I'm not against him getting a time-skip in the future I just rather it's more the YJ time-skips where its the whole DCU rather than one person.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I can't really say one way or another, time will tell but I have one thing to say about how some people have come to view Superman and his universe. If you have a bunch of emotional baggage you've accumulated from reading other comics you can not bring it here and expect the Superman universe to be a pallet cleanser. You can't see Superman as viable because you've been reading too much Batman, Ironman, etc and want to balance out your reading material. Part of what is wrong with modern Superman is that they had to adjust his characterization whenever Batman was around so that they could maintain that idiotic opposites garbage they were stuck with through out it. His behavior is at times being dictated by outside forces and it makes no sense when he predates most things in the DCU.

As for the kid. He was nothing before. If you remove the fact that his dad is Superman then he's just a kid with the typical brick powerset, fast, strong. laser eyes. His dog, his lineage, his best friend, and especially his purported role as the legacy Superman all just came from his dad. The concepts of hard work and dedication in the Superman character had already been picked away over the years as Superman tries increasingly to be "normal" (see Tyler Hoechlin) but the kid in some ways was like the final version of that erosion. Just getting stuff because you dad was someone important is some Romanoffian crap that can be left to Aquaman.

My honest hope is that Jor-El Piccolo'd Jon in space and he's ready to put in some real work to carve out his place in the Superman lore now rather than what Clark has been doing for the last couple of decades where he loafs around unless either the worlds about to end or the work is extremely easy and takes little effort. If the kid wants to be Superman he needs to earn it but he also needs to show he brings something to the table that's actually new. At least now there's the potential that it's possible he can do that. There's something in his life that meaningfully separates him from his dad.
    What did jon actually get because his dad was superman?you seem to imply jon got some great gifts from clark that other kids or clark himself did not. Basically the privilege argument.dude, superman nor goku are rock lee. They were always meant to be stronger or have better potential than other human/normies. As if the kid doesn't work hard enough for kid his age.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-19-2019 at 09:52 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But Jon does seem less unique now.
    Less unique seems like an odd choice of words, imo. While I totally get, respect, and agree that him being a 10 year old was extremely unique conceptually, the whole "I more or less grew up in space" space prince (we're really sandbagging this space prince thing, and we shouldn't be. It's actually something that just opened up Superman on a galactic scale) thing is not actually something shared any of the Superman characters at any point in their publication. Not even Kara (not raised on Earth) is afforded this to much of any degree. It's legitimately a story that's uniquely Jon's just as being being 10 and the son of Superman was. It's one unique thing to another.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-19-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared S View Post
    Not quite. Jon has been around long enough to be iconic and if Bendis manages to get this to stick, perceptions could change.

What I'm saying in the first part is that having such a young kid character explores an important aspect of the superhero world that is new and interesting, just as having a teenage superhero in Spiderman did. Before Spiderman, no one had really explored the difficulties and challenges of being a teen and learning to finally move beyond childhood and take responsibility. Spiderman could not have been told with an adult Peter Parker because the story would be automatically different.

There are some stories that, by their nature, can only be told with children. "Learning to grow up" is one of them. I think we should embrace those stories rather than rejecting, ignoring, or skipping over them.
    A very good post. I agree wholeheartedly with your points.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Less unique seems like an odd choice of words, imo. While I totally get, respect, and agree that him being a 10 year old was extremely unique conceptually, the whole "I more or less grew up in space" space prince (we're really sandbagging this space prince thing, and we shouldn't be. It's actually something that just opened up Superman on a galactic scale) thing is not actually something shared any of the Superman characters at any point in their publication. Not even Kara (not raised on Earth) is afforded this to much of any degree. It's legitimately a story that's uniquely Jon's just as being being 10 and the son of Superman was. It's one unique thing to another.
    Space prince?

Like I've said, I'm behind by a few months and I've been quasi-ignoring interviews and spoilers. Ya'll know I do love anything cosmic related with my Superman though.

And like I said, I'm not against this move. I liked Jon as he was but for all I know I'll like him just as much or more as he is/will be. I'm just saying, I have a few concerns and I haven't seen the story yet to know how unfounded the concerns are. Bendis has my trust, but not 100% yknow?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Frankly, i’d Like to see where Bendis is taking teen Jon before I see him de-aged.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What did jon actually get because his dad was superman?you seem to imply jon got some great gifts from clark that other kids or clark himself did not.
    Let me ask you; why does Superson's exist. Why was Damian fast-tracked to randomly be the best friend of some kid who wasn't even in his social sphere. Why isn't Damian best friends with simply some other random kid? At the time of Damian and Jon meeting I don't even think that Superman and Batman at the time even knew each other, but the sheer fact that he was the son of Superman meant that he and Damian were suppose to be friends because the Bats and Supers are suppose to be friends. He an heir to a legacy his dad put together over the last 80 years.

Jaime Reyes would imo be an example of a legacy character who has received nothing. In fact Jaime actually did end up missing a year of his life IIRC.

Basically the privilege argument.dude, superman nor goku are rock lee. They were always meant to be stronger or have better potential than other human/normies. As if the kid doesn't work hard enough for kid his age.
    What? Goku has often been shown to have a crazy work ethic even training full stop even in times of piece. And Superman in the old days at least had a crazy dedication and work ethic. The whole reason he became a reporter was so that he could know where Superman needed to be. Dude worked like a hauss 24/7 and pretty much devoted his life to fighting injustice. Even scans of him as a kid usually showed he had a distaste for bullies and crooks.

I think you're conflating talent with a lackadaisical disposition. Superman has had great power from day one and personally I like it like that but it was always combined with the drive to do real good with it; otherwise he'd be powerful with no real direction in life with which to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Let me ask you; why does Superson's exist. Why was Damian fast-tracked to randomly be the best friend of some kid who wasn't even in his social sphere. Why isn't Damian best friends with simply some other random kid? At the time of Damian and Jon meeting I don't even think that Superman and Batman at the time even knew each other, but the sheer fact that he was the son of Superman meant that he and Damian were suppose to be friends because the Bats and Supers are suppose to be friends. He an heir to a legacy his dad put together over the last 80 years.
    If you read the arc where Lois, Clark, and Jon meet Mxy. That arc retconned them into that world.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    If you read the arc where Lois, Clark, and Jon meet Mxy. That arc retconned them into that world.
    Yep. Superman Reborn. Even made it so that Bruce and Diana were there helping and guarding Lois as she gave birth in the Fortress of Solitude.