Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mr. Terrific Appreciation 2019

Michael Holt will appear in the next DC animation

Love the throwback Bruce Timm animation style

Show some respect to the smartest man in the DC Universe!

Possesses 14 Ph.Ds (two in engineering and physics—including doctorates and master's degrees in law, psychology, chemistry, political science, and mathematics])
    a self-made multi-millionaire
    a gold medal-winning Olympic decathlete
    chairman of the JSA
    Leader of Checkmate
    Inventor of the T-Sphere
    Leader of the Terrifics
    Savior of the Multiverse
    Explorer of the Dark Multiverse
    The J-man

I really love him in the Terrifics, it’s cool seeing him get to lead his own team. I really need to read Johns JSA run since I heard that’s where he originated from, and that run gets a lot of praise.

Astonishing Member

One of my dc favourites away from the usual JLA roster

Love the Terriffics

It's nice to see him in the show

Love how Lemire has made him the DCU’s super science adventure hero in the same vein as Doc Savage (and yes, Tom Strong who is also inspired by those types of heroes). It fits his character perfectly.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Love how Lemire has made him the DCU’s super science adventure hero in the same vein as Doc Savage (and yes, Tom Strong who is also inspired by those types of heroes). It fits his character perfectly.
    Spot on Robotman. When Johns first rolled Mr. Terrific out, I rolled my eyes and thought, "oh, yay; another attempt to stripmine some nostalgia off of another obscure name." Then I read him and really liked the revision.

In my head, he's something of a Superman For Our Times.

Have yet to read The Terrifics, but does it mention Holt's time stranded on E2? or just ignores it?
    (I vaguely remember a Batman/Holt conversation indirectly mentioning it, but as part of Holt's mission to discover more about the Dark Multiverse (so.. retconned much?)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    Have yet to read The Terrifics, but does it mention Holt's time stranded on E2? or just ignores it?
    (I vaguely remember a Batman/Holt conversation indirectly mentioning it, but as part of Holt's mission to discover more about the Dark Multiverse (so.. retconned much?)
    I don’t recall it mentioning anything specifically about Earth 2. They just state that Mr. Terrific has explored the multiverse.

Love Mr. Terrific. Can’t wait for the next animated film with him in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really love him in the Terrifics, it’s cool seeing him get to lead his own team. I really need to read Johns JSA run since I heard that’s where he originated from, and that run gets a lot of praise.
    That's where he got most of his development, but that's not where he originated from. His first appearance was in The Spectre Vol. 3 #54, cover-dated June 1997.

As I recall, the decision to use Holt in JSA was regarded by fans as a pleasant surprise, but a surprise none the less. Sloan as Mr. Terrific was considered very much a lesser member of the original Justice Society, the kind of character that Big-Name Fans of the Golden Age heroes like Roy Thomas would kind of acknowledge but wouldn't actually use much (like Air-Wave or the Whip), and the fact that it took nearly two decades, and multiple requests in the letter column of The Spectre, to finally get closure on Sloan's murder, shows how low a priority the original Mr. Terrific was at DC. More importantly, I don't think Holt made any appearances anywhere between the end of Ostrander and Mandrake's Spectre and the beginning of Robinson and Goyer's JSA. Robinson in particular gave off the air of being a snob about how other creators used Golden Age characters and/or created legacies for them; he especially seemed to have a love/hate relationship with Thomas's work with them, and Thomas was not only the biggest name creator interested in the Golden Age characters but often seemed to be the only one; and I always got the feeling that the reason he left out Al "The Atom" Pratt and his love interest out of his re-telling of the story of the JSA's girlfriends teaming up together was that he didn't care for the revelation that Damage was Pratt's son biologically and was trying to put a hiccup in that reveal. (That or he was trying to suggest that the Atom and Dr. Mid-Nite, who also was left out of that retelling, didn't actually have female love interests.)

Plus, Holt could have very easily joined the ranks of Golden Age character legacies who were introduced only for future creators to ignore altogether. Anybody remember that the 90's alone saw the introduction of not one, not two, but three different legacies for Johnny Thunder? Kiki Thunder in the late and lamented early 90's Justice Society of America series, then Willpower (supposedly Johnny's biological son with a Native American lover) in the post-Zero Hour series Primal Force, both preceded Jamahl Thunder (first appeared in Morrison's JLA), yet Jamahl was the one who got to join the late 90's revival of JSA (and I think the only one whose existence was ever acknowledged)? It's not like there was a huge clamoring for the new Mr. Terrific to appear anywhere....and yet, he not only did, he joined the JSA and was allowed to not just be developed but also thrive as a character....well, until the New 52, at least.
    Last edited by Timber Wolf-By-Night; 01-20-2019 at 04:52 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Just chiming in to show some love for one of the best characters to come out of the Geoff Johns JSA run... And that's saying something! Michael's a great character and I'm glad he's got some exposure in The Terrifics! Hopefully he has a good showing in the new animated movie.

Really enjoyed Mr. Terrific in the Terrific's. Wish that series had of lasted longer. Be great to get a solo with Mr. Terrific or a relaunch of that series.

I really dislike how he is played on the Arrow but I am grateful that the two characters are so far apart in characterization most new readers wouldn't know the two are suppose to be the same character.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Really enjoyed Mr. Terrific in the Terrific's. Wish that series had of lasted longer. Be great to get a solo with Mr. Terrific or a relaunch of that series.

I really dislike how he is played on the Arrow but I am grateful that the two characters are so far apart in characterization most new readers wouldn't know the two are suppose to be the same character.
    The Terrifics is not discontinued, you know ? It'll keep going after issue 14.

DC posted this on their Twitter in honor of Black History Month

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/...520DC%2520Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    The Terrifics is not discontinued, you know ? It'll keep going after issue 14.
    I thought it got cancelled?

My Comic shop owner must have just stopped ordering it...

I'll have to get the back issues online now . Thank You for letting me know!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Nope, Lemire steps down, but Gene Luang comes in in April, and since he did a really good story for the annual, I'm feeling it, quite a lot.