Default When did Manbat become a villain?

I am reading some ealry stuff (I think 70s) and it seems the first couple appearances of Manbat he was not a villain. He even teamed up with Superman. Am I reading this wrong? Was he a good guy or an anti hero to start with? When did he become a major Batman villain?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I am reading some ealry stuff (I think 70s) and it seems the first couple appearances of Manbat he was not a villain. He even teamed up with Superman. Am I reading this wrong? Was he a good guy or an anti hero to start with? When did he become a major Batman villain?
    Man-Bat first became a villain in Detective Comics #400. Like a lot villains sometimes they reform for a while before reverting back to their old form.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Man-Bat first became a villain in Detective Comics #400. Like a lot villains sometimes they reform for a while before reverting back to their old form.
    Well, he kind of has a "new" form, but yeah.

I don't think he was ever a bad person himself, it was the formula that turned him into a giant bat that made him a menace. And now, with perfecting the formula, he's helping Justice League Dark. Approaching chaotic magic as a man of science.

It depends on how much of Langstrom is in control of the Man-Bat form, but even when he's not in control he's more of a threat then a villain.