ComicsCoffee&Cartoons

Default New to DC Comics

I'm new to DC Comics and could use some help choosing titles. Here are the titles I have been reading about:

Action Comics
    Detective Comics
    Superman
    Batman
    Aquaman
    Nightwing
    Wonder Woman

Do these titles ever overlap? Are any of the self-contained? How would you rank these (I could probably only afford to add four or five and some of these are twice monthly)? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Action Comics and Superman are very much linked, and, thus far, well worth your time and money despite some quibbles I have with certain things. If you like Superman, these are the best his comics have been in many, many years. They are both written by the same guy, Brian Bendis, who co-created Miles Morales from the recent Spider-Verse animated movie. Bendis is using these books to tell one story from two angles and he's surrounded himself with some of the very best artists in comics.

Batman and Detective are separate things because they are written by two different creative teams. Batman is definitely the better book in general, but it is in the middle of a long-running story, so it'd be best to go back and read this one in trades, otherwise you'll miss the over-arching story that Tom King is telling.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman just started new creative teams, so this would probably be a good time to jump on board both those books to see if you like them.

Nightwing, unfortunately, hit a creative snag recently, so it'd probably be wise to avoid this one right now until that gets sorted out.

If you're on a limited budget for DC's, you might want to check out Justice League and Justice League Dark. You'll get exposed to a lot of DC's biggest heroes in just 2 comics.

You make it sound like you're new to DC, but not to comics, so which comics are you currently reading? Also, what made you want to try DC now?

Knowing this might help to suggest compatible DCs.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicsCoffee&Cartoons View Post
    I'm new to DC Comics and could use some help choosing titles. Here are the titles I have been reading about:

Action Comics
    Detective Comics
    Superman
    Batman
    Aquaman
    Nightwing
    Wonder Woman

Do these titles ever overlap? Are any of the self-contained? How would you rank these (I could probably only afford to add four or five and some of these are twice monthly)? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Decide for your self.
    Comics are like a box of chocolates