Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Doctor Fate Appreciation Thread (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous Doctor Fate Appreciation Thread and his 74th Birthday!, which can be found at https://community.cbr.com/showthread...74th-Birthday!

from the previous version (originally created by Doctor Kent Nelson back in May 2014):
    DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------------

With May 2014 being Doctor Fate's 74th birthday, I thought I'd get an appreciation thread happening for one of DC's mightiest mages!

It's a shame that DC never managed to get Dr. Fate to the same heights of Doctor Strange! Probably didn't help with the musical helmet of fate either!

Nonetheless I present you with the golden age Dr. Fate
    KENT NELSON

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

and from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Volume VI (August 1985):

My two favorite Dr. Fate stories are

First Issue Special #9 (great cover by Joe Kubert and interior art by Walt Simonson)

and the back up story in JSA All Stars #3 by the late, great Darwyn Cooke.

-M
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Got a question for you guys about the Golden Age stories.

Was Fate's tower in Salem public knowledge or was it a secret hideout? In other words, if someone needed Dr. Fate's help, would they know to go to his tower or was it mystically invisible or something?

Thanks!

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Reading the JLA series form the 60s I'm loving Dr fates appearances in the JSA crisis crossovers there. They really treat him like their Superman there. I heard they treated him like that in the Golden age as well. Popularity included.

Right now Fates a villain being controlled by Nabu but maybe this will make him more popular after all is done and he goes back to normal.

Bring back the finger lighting bolts.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Got a question for you guys about the Golden Age stories.

Was Fate's tower in Salem public knowledge or was it a secret hideout? In other words, if someone needed Dr. Fate's help, would they know to go to his tower or was it mystically invisible or something?

Thanks!
    Reading the original stories, I don't think it was ever explicitly addressed. Inza and Dr. Fate seemed to be the only two that ever tried entering it, but I don't remember any in-story evidence that it was either secret, or in any other way protected from intrusion (other than the needing to walk through walls thing).

The closest to an authoritative example on the question I'm aware of came from Roy Thomas in All-Star Squadron in the mid-1980's. The Ultra-Humanite sent Amazing Man to infiltrate The Tower and steal Dr. Fate's Helmet. That implies that somebody outside Dr. Fate and Inza, with connections to UH's criminal network knew of both The Tower's existence and location. Of course, at the time, UH was in telepathic contact and collusion with his future self, so there's no way to know if the secret was leaked in the 1940s, or sometime prior to the 1980s.

I have always loved Dr. Fate's look. His design is absolutely one of My DC Top 5. He is also the only one of My Top 5 who has a revision that I think is superior to the original:
    Image.jpg
    Image.jpg

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The wraparound cover to The Immortal Dr. Fate #3.

ImmortalDrFate3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    My two favorite Dr. Fate stories are

First Issue Special #9 (great cover by Joe Kubert and interior art by Walt Simonson)

and the back up story in JSA All Stars #3 by the late, great Darwyn Cooke.

-M
    Walt Simonson's Dr. Fate is truly a sight to behold.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-25-2019 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

When Inza was Dr. Fate . . .

from Who's Who in the DC Universe #9 (May 1991)

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The Brave and The Bold #156. Cover by Jim Aparo.

B&B156.jpg

from Secret Origins #24 (March 1988)

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Cool figure .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Not comics, but I was always partial to Oded Fehr's portrayal of Doctor Fate in the Justice League animated series. I think he made him sound a bit ethereal without being too theatrical; he came across very naturally and flowed into the dramatic incantation convincingly.

Jump to about 1:15 to see what I mean.

He's definitely underused in DC's landscape as their foremost sorcerer since they brought Constantine into the proper mainstream fold.