Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    A few pages from the origin story (as told by Inza) published in DC Special Series #10 (1978):

Was this where they established that Dr. Fate was Nabu sock puppeting Kent Nelson, or did that enter the canon earlier? I'm pretty sure that's not the way that it was written in his More Fun comics appearances (or at least not explicitly so).

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Was this where they established that Dr. Fate was Nabu sock puppeting Kent Nelson, or did that enter the canon earlier? I'm pretty sure that's not the way that it was written in his More Fun comics appearances (or at least not explicitly so).
    I actually am kind of curious when that element became more prominent.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Duck Fate, courtesy of Walt Simonson's facebook.

"Ducktor Fate "or "Doctor Quack"?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The 1970s... check out the Dr Fate backups in The Flash
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Amazing Member

Hey guys,

I managed to find a copy of The Golden Age Doctor Fate Archives Vol 1 (collecting more fun comics 55 - 98) in a flea market (score!) and I'm looking forward to reading it!

As far as I can tell vol 2 doesn't exist as that is the extent of golden age dr fate right (save the golden age JSA stuff)?

Just as a trivial curiosity, when was his next appearance after More Fun #98/All-star #22 in the summer of 1944?
    The earliest I can find is Justice League of America #21 in August 1963, but I'm relying on the DC wiki and may have missed something. Thanks in advance!

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

k4L6xlR.jpg
    1char.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Can't remember if we had this in the previous thread, but:

from JSA Secret Files and Origins #1 (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

from Secret Origins #24 (March 1988)
    More from this issue:

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member

I loved the 70s Fate stories. I never understood why DC went along with all the crazy, unnecessary changes in the 80s -- when Kent was an old man, Inza was dead-- and some younger couple were Dr. Fate. It made Fate less interesting. And then there was that other guy with the bandaged arm -- I think he was just Fate. Gerber's retake on Dr. Fate didn't interest me much either.

I did like when Carter Hall's son claimed the mantle -- as short-lived as that was (thanks to Karen Berger apparently).

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I loved the 70s Fate stories. I never understood why DC went along with all the crazy, unnecessary changes in the 80s -- when Kent was an old man, Inza was dead-- and some younger couple were Dr. Fate. It made Fate less interesting. And then there was that other guy with the bandaged arm -- I think he was just Fate. Gerber's retake on Dr. Fate didn't interest me much either.

I did like when Carter Hall's son claimed the mantle -- as short-lived as that was (thanks to Karen Berger apparently).
    The only Dr Fate stories I've read is the back up ones from the Flash in the 80's and I liked them.

I do want to check out his longer running set from the 80' s as well though. Also I'm looking forward to his appearances in Johns JSA and seeing him being fleshed out.

But I agree, his series from the 90's where they started really changing things up doesn't really look that great.

But that was a big part of the 90's. Trying new things. Mostly it worked but sometimes not.

So are there any Fate solo's worth checking out? Maybe they're on DC Universe...

I really like what Tynion is doing with Kent and Khalid. I know some may be upset they aren't Doctor Fate anymore, but I love thier new roles and the new designs are great (Alvaro Martinez can do no wrong).
    I do have to wonder if this is part of a character arc to make Khalid grow into the role, or if Tynion will establish a new Fate soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I really like what Tynion is doing with Kent and Khalid. I know some may be upset they aren't Doctor Fate anymore, but I love thier new roles and the new designs are great (Alvaro Martinez can do no wrong).
    I do have to wonder if this is part of a character arc to make Khalid grow into the role, or if Tynion will establish a new Fate soon.
    The Dr. Fate merry go round continues .

Okay in my quest to become Dr... err... acquire the artifacts of Dr Fate and as Fate would have it, I stumbled upon this on eBay! Kind of weird as it felt like something was forcing me to bid!

The seller kentkhalid said some wear and that a crazy spirit resides inside. I do feel a little funny when I put it on and hear a voice but hey

But in all seriousness, this is a prototype of the non-existent DC Direct helmet and my friend who customizes statues and action figures is going to give it a gold shine!
    Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; 09-24-2019 at 04:10 AM.