Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Very cool. I like it.

Although it's a little off to see the Dr using hand to hand combat as opposed to floating in the air casting his spells.
    But if you look closely, you'll notice this is Dr. Fate in his half-helm phase, when he wasn't quite as powerful as when he wore the full helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But if you look closely, you'll notice this is Dr. Fate in his half-helm phase, when he wasn't quite as powerful as when he wore the full helmet.
    When he wore the half helm in More Fun, Fate became nothing but a second rate Superman clone with gas replacing kryptonite as his weakness. Magic was rarely done in those stories, and if you replaced Fate with Superman in those stories (and Inza with Lois), no one would have noticed the difference. The earliest stories in New Fun were phenomonal, but one they defined his origin and replaced he helm with the half-helm, the stories lost all their magic and charm and Fate became just another generic costumed hero until his revival in the Silver Age. The latter 2/3 of the stories in the Golden Age Dr. Fate Archives are utterly forgettable, but the first third of that book are among my favorite DC stories ever.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    When he wore the half helm in More Fun, Fate became nothing but a second rate Superman clone with gas replacing kryptonite as his weakness. Magic was rarely done in those stories, and if you replaced Fate with Superman in those stories (and Inza with Lois), no one would have noticed the difference. The earliest stories in New Fun were phenomonal, but one they defined his origin and replaced he helm with the half-helm, the stories lost all their magic and charm and Fate became just another generic costumed hero until his revival in the Silver Age. The latter 2/3 of the stories in the Golden Age Dr. Fate Archives are utterly forgettable, but the first third of that book are among my favorite DC stories ever.

-M
    That's all true. Thanks for the info guys.

I want to go through Dr Fates series from the beginning eventually anyways .
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

I use to love back in the 1970s when DC would frequently reprint a lot of the classic Golden Age Doctor Fate stories.

Doctor Fate in Doomsday Clock #10 (July 2019):

and as one of the Justice Society members depicted on an image for September's Justice League:

Nice to see old school Dr. Fate every once in a while .

Dr Fate is around a lot these days in JLD. Unfortunately they made him the villain. That's current DC for you.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Dr Fate is around a lot these days in JLD. Unfortunately they made him the villain. That's current DC for you.
    And now we can expect a new host... serious????? Another original story of a new host, nice one DC and Tynion IV!

Glad I left the dumping ground of crap that DC has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    And now we can expect a new host... serious????? Another original story of a new host, nice one DC and Tynion IV!

Glad I left the dumping ground of crap that DC has become.
    Well, maybe (just "maybe") when the JSA returns to DC continuity they can find a way to let the original Kent Nelson reclaim the helm and the mantle of "Doctor Fate"?

I know, chances for that may be slim, but you never know.

So if according to Doomsday clock and the fact the JL are bringing back the JSA that got erased, Dr Fate included as shown above, who has been running around since Rebirth?

So if according to Doomsday clock and the fact the JL are bringing back the JSA that got erased, Dr Fate included as shown above, who has been running around since Rebirth?
    Well, I don't know if it's been said specifically all the members of the JSA were erased. It may have been more of the group not forming and some members having different pasts as a result of Manhattan's machinations?

Well, I don't know if it's been said specifically all the members of the JSA were erased. It may have been more of the group not forming and some members having different pasts as a result of Manhattan's machinations?
    True. There's been very little actual detail on who disappeared when. Fate (in Levitz's seies) and Johnny Thunder are obvious exceptions, but with the new advances in Dr Fate's story, it's looking like DC doesn't have a single set strategy as to handling the situation. Makes me want to go back to bed, pull the covers over my head and set the alarm for whenever a new JSA book comes out. But that may be a while.

Fate probably got around it the same way Hawkman and The Spectre did.

Geoff Johns brought back Kent Nelson in Rebirth, only to be shelved again by Tynion. I guess he has to leave his mark like Trump. :[

Makes sense. So it seems Alan Scott is the only JSA member that was directly taken out. The rest are floating around in various places.

I think in DC Rebirth special Johnny Thunder mentions they were around but undercover.