Default Which Zod stories are canon

Obviously this is about Zod, and which stories Happened. In Action Comics 981 Zod says to Superman "it's been too long" and "your reflexes have gotten slow. Lazy." This indicates that they have fought before, but which story. The only stories I can think of is altered versions of last son or the Superman/Wonder woman story. Maybe at the end of last son, Chris Kent decided to embrace his father's ideals and hated Superman. Or is it a altered Superman/Wonder Woman where they aren't dating and faora is Ursa. Or maybe there is a story they need to write to show us the first meeting between Superman and Zod.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I really feel as though I'm forgetting something but...

- this is easy. Rebirth stories with Zod can fit just fine
    - Exile is canon, so there's no reason to eliminate Pocket Zod
    - Pok Zod, however... since President Lex is out, despite Imperiex the fight with Avruskin thing may be out
    - For Tomorrow had an alternate Zod, which might work
    - New Krypton is out and because of Lor Zod, Last Son has to be as well
    - SMWW may be the one real shot at a regular Zod, despite continuity tweaks that don't affect him
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don’t think any of pre-Rebirth Zod stories are canon. Like you said, he and Kal have a vague history of fighting each other, but nothing specific. Frankly I’m not sure if we’ve lost all that much if that’s the case. Didn’t new Krypton end with Kandor being destroyed? And Lor-Zod is very much different. Yeah I don’t think any of that is canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

- Pok Zod, however... since President Lex is out, despite Imperiex the fight with Avruskin thing may be out
    - SMWW may be the one real shot at a regular Zod, despite continuity tweaks that don't affect him
    President Luthor is back in canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

With Pocket Zod I’ve been thinking that they should probably just have that be an alternate Earth Zod rather than the incredibly convoltued lengths Byrne went to in order to get around the DC edict of Kal being the only living Kryptonian.

Yeah I have a feeling it's the Superman/WonderWoman version because that one leads to the doomed story arc which is canon in post Superman reborn continuity.

well, they can adapt aspects of any of the above if they want them to be part of the current timeline.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    With Pocket Zod I’ve been thinking that they should probably just have that be an alternate Earth Zod rather than the incredibly convoltued lengths Byrne went to in order to get around the DC edict of Kal being the only living Kryptonian.
    That's exactly what it was anyway, just an alternate earth created by time trapper, no harm to any regular continuities. Ironically it's vastly convoluted now that we have to fit a version of Exile with a version of Secret Origin. His Kryptonian rite of passage and the Eradicator itself don't make any sense in this context.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think the basic gist of most of Zod stories are back if anyone wants to reference them. However, since there are so few definitive Zod stories in the comics, I seriously doubt any of them will ever be mentioned again because there's no reason to do so.

The Pocket-Universe Zod and the rest of various phony Zods from the Post-Crisis era are all pointlessly convoluted and not particularly compelling, whereas the Pre-Crisis Zod was mostly second-fiddle to Jax-Ur.

Johns's Donner-esque Zod was the only one that really resonated with readers, although it's a foregone conclusion that only Last Son is still viable because the entirety of the New Krypton arc was a creative, editorial and sales misfire.

All readers really need to know is that Zod has fought Superman a bunch of times, and the backstory and setup Johns established for him during the Post-Infinite Crisis run.

I don't think canon is a useful lens through which to interpret the Superman franchise, with all its shifting ideas and creators contradicting each other on a constant basis. Sure, there's no reason to assume the Pocket Universe Zod didn't happen, but at the same time, the chances of that scenario actually informing Superman's actions on any given occasion are basically nil, when it was a highly important event in the DCU for literally years in the post-Crisis era, and even into pre-Flashpoint. I don't see his experiences with Pokolistani Zod impacting Superman's actions either. Or For Tomorrow, or New Krypton, or that Superman/Wonder Woman arc for that matter.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."