Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Spectre Appreciation Thread (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous The Spectre Appreciation Thread, which can be found at https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation-Thread

from the previous version (originally created by Savage Savant back in November 2015):
    Title says it all. I know there's been some discussion on the character (what with the thread I made a year ago & resurrected a few months back) however I figured since I seem to be one of the very few die-hard Spectre fans on this board that the character should have an appreciation thread.

Regardless of whether you believe the character should be a ghost as he was originally intended to be (a viewpoint I strongly hold) or prefer the Post-Crisis recton Spirit of Vengeance interpretation, we can all discuss our love for the character (& what we dislike as well) here. I hope a few more fans of the Ghostly Guardian chime in
    And if I may add a post I made back in January 2018,
    I first read the Spectre's origin story when they reprinted the feature from More Fun Comics #52-53 (February and March 1940 issues) in Secret Origins#5 (November-December 1973).

There was also the Roy Thomas post-CoIE retelling of that tale in Secret Origins #15 (June 1987) with art by Michael T. Gilbert.

There was this post by Robotman back in the beginning of September (2018) in the previous version of this thread:
    New Spectre comic written by Tomasi possibly coming soon.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...s-launched-dc/

I would love to see the Spectre depowered a bit. Bring him back to his Golden Age power level.
    And here's that post from Bleeding Cool that was included:
    Spectre and Hawk & Dove – New Comics Being Launched by DC
    Posted by Rich Johnston September 2, 2018

The word coming out of the Toronto Fan Expo yesterday is that DC Comics is to launch two new comic book series, The Spectre written by Pete Tomasi and Hawk & Dove written by Steve Orlando. Artists are still a mystery.
    The Spectre is one of DC’s oldest comic book characters, created in 1940 by Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel and Bernard Baily, Jim Corrigan, a policeman who is visited by the word of God and transformed into a supernatural being of justice – and vengeance.
    The character has been reinvented over the decades and powered up and down. He was last seen in the DC Universe as working as a detective for Gotham’s Detailed Case Task Force, a small precinct responsible for investigating supernatural events off the books. Including his own.
    Hawk & Dove were created by Spider-Man co-creator Steve Ditko and Steve Skeates in 1969 as a superhero duo who had diametrically opposed political viewpoints. The characters have been recreated over the years, most recently in the New 52 by Sterling Gates and Rob Liefeld, and were most recently seen in the near-future-set Doomsday Clock, shown on TV being arrested by the Rocket Red Brigade for interfering with the Russian police.
    Expect more- much more – at NYCC.
    Does anybody remember hearing anything further about this yet?

By the way, this was in the June 2019 solicitations:
    DETECTIVE COMICS #1006
    written by PETER J. TOMASI
    art and cover by KYLE HOTZ
    variant cover by DAN QUINTANA
    Detective Jim Corrigan has been shot on the streets of Gotham City—and the Spectre must reach out to Batman to help him find the secret assassin!
    ON SALE 06.26.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.
    https://www.newsarama.com/44329-dc-c...citations.html

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, this was in the June 2019 solicitations:https://www.newsarama.com/44329-dc-c...citations.html
    I'm very excited for The Spectre to return to the fold. He's a favorite of mine and I've been thinking of some fun things to do with that character should I have a crack at him. I won't, of course, but the thought exercise is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm very excited for The Spectre to return to the fold. He's a favorite of mine and I've been thinking of some fun things to do with that character should I have a crack at him. I won't, of course, but the thought exercise is fun!
    I am a bit worried about that "and the Spectre must reach out to Batman to help him find the secret assassin" bit in the solicitation. It sounds like we could get another unnecessary variation on an origin for the Spectre?

Corrigan being gunned down by thugs and then getting knowledge/revenge for that as the Spectre is simple enough guys . . . why the hell would he need Batman's help?

(Hopefully the Phantom Stranger won't be the one who leads Corrigan to his death in this version.)

Ostrander's Spectre is something I've been meaning to read for eons. The only actual Spectre series I've ever actually read was the Hal Jordan one.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I am a bit worried about that "and the Spectre must reach out to Batman to help him find the secret assassin" bit in the solicitation. It sounds like we could get another unnecessary variation on an origin for the Spectre?

Corrigan being gunned down by thugs and then getting knowledge/revenge for that as the Spectre is simple enough guys . . . why the hell would he need Batman's help?

(Hopefully the Phantom Stranger won't be the one who leads Corrigan to his death in this version.)
    My guess is that somehow Batman is involved tangentially or it's a test if him by the Spectre.

Astonishing Member

I remember the image of superman punching him in the chest to get past him as superman is looking for Kara and superman is flying so fast he's breaking the barriers nearly reaching heaven

Spectre doesn't even flinch and when asked why he didn't he just says he felt nothing

Amazed as a kid by this display of power

Loved him since then

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I remember the image of superman punching him in the chest to get past him as superman is looking for Kara and superman is flying so fast he's breaking the barriers nearly reaching heaven

Spectre doesn't even flinch and when asked why he didn't he just says he felt nothing

Amazed as a kid by this display of power

Loved him since then
    I'm guessing that was in this issue?

DC Comics Presents #29 (January 1981)?

My favorite human host for Spectre is Jim Corrigan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by K7P5V; 06-02-2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    By the way, was he the host for the Spectre when you first started reading about the character?
    Who was the first host to "Spectre" from DC comics you ever read about?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ver-read-about

By the way, was he the host for the Spectre when you first started reading about the character?
    Who was the first host to "Spectre" from DC comics you ever read about?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ver-read-about
    I would assume he was. But due to faulty memory and being a rather sporadic collector of DC Comics during my formative years, I'm unable to give a definite yes or no answer.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-20-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Spectre appears in B&B #199.

Spectre199.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

from DC Who's Who Update '88 Vol. 4 (October 1988)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Ostrander's Spectre is something I've been meaning to read for eons. The only actual Spectre series I've ever actually read was the Hal Jordan one.
    They’ve got 2 trades out from that series and they are awesome. I wish they’d release the whole series and the one where Hal was the Spectre too.