Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Outside of Books are the most celebrated additions to Star Wars lore animated?

Quick question that came up between myself and a few other people. Since Return of the Jedi, outside of books, are the most widely embraced/highly regarded continuance of the series movies, tv series, comic series, or video games?

I think with attack of the clones/rebels there is a solid case for for TV, but what are your thoughts?
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

The Holiday special/Droids/Ewoks cartoons generally aren't really that appreciated among fans I think, although apparently at least Lucas and Abrams liked them enough since small easter eggs relating to them popped up in the prequels and TFA. "Droids" at least got some credit for really taking place in the larger Star Wars world; whereas Ewoks kind of tried to cash in on the whole cute colorful animals cartoon and toy craze of the mid 80's ( I think there was one episode that involved the Empire though).

Both versions of the Clone Wars cartoon are pretty popular although only the latter is still 'canon'. (and took a while for fans to warm up too; I remember the movie pilot was pretty much reviled when it came out). Rebels, likewise, mostly was well-received by fans....

The "Resistance" cartoon hasn't exactly gotten the same warm reception, although "Forces of Destiny" and the "Galaxy of Adventures" shorts are pretty well regarded.

"Detours" however, seemed like a terrible idea and I think it's good Disney dropped it when they got Lucasfilm.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Cartoons clearly have been the Star Wars saving grace of this last decade.

The clone wars and Rebels have both been enjoyed by most people. Personally i haven't watched much of resistance tough, can't stand the way it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Holiday special/Droids/Ewoks cartoons generally aren't really that appreciated among fans I think, although apparently at least Lucas and Abrams liked them enough since small easter eggs relating to them popped up in the prequels and TFA. "Droids" at least got some credit for really taking place in the larger Star Wars world; whereas Ewoks kind of tried to cash in on the whole cute colorful animals cartoon and toy craze of the mid 80's ( I think there was one episode that involved the Empire though).
    Yeah, except for that one Empire episode, the show could easily be seen as "just" a little fantasy carton of its own setting.

Both versions of the Clone Wars cartoon are pretty popular although only the latter is still 'canon'. (and took a while for fans to warm up too; I remember the movie pilot was pretty much reviled when it came out). Rebels, likewise, mostly was well-received by fans....

The "Resistance" cartoon hasn't exactly gotten the same warm reception, although "Forces of Destiny" and the "Galaxy of Adventures" shorts are pretty well regarded.

"Detours" however, seemed like a terrible idea and I think it's good Disney dropped it when they got Lucasfilm.
    Seems like Forces of Destiny got a bit of flack, albeit mostly from people outside the target audience who couldn't really accept that not all things Star Wars are made for them. Personally, while not mind-blowing, I found them too inoffensive to justify any hate (and fun little diversions with favorite characters again).

The modern cartoons do seem to have a wider presence then the older ones did. I guess being a film medium of sorts, they do connect better to the movies then comics or prose can?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

There was a period where I would have argued video games over book and cartoons together, just because on the early-to-mid 00’s when the only real cartoon was the cool but brief Clone Wars cartoon (the shorts), and you still had the legacy of Shadows of the Empire combining with the success of KOTOR and The Force Unleashed.

But for modern Star Wars, especially during the twilight of Lucas and the Disney era, it’s the cartoons. Late TCW was really, really good, and Rebels wound up being pretty good too.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Are comics too tangential to "books" to be considered here?

Because most of the Dark Horse and most of the current Marvel are, IMHO, better than 85% of the books, new and old.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

They've likewise influenced a bit of the films-Quinlan Vos and Aayla Secura are both originally from the Dark Horse comics (although Quinlan is based on a TPM background character). Likewise, the concept of Darth Maul having survived and given robot legs was an idea that first came up in the comics (The "Visionaries" one-shot).

The Clone Wars stories in Republic and Jedi were pretty excellent as well, although once the CG Clone Wars series came out their continuity was pretty much ignored almost completely.

You know what's kind of funny as well-Marvel had storylines about cute creatures helping the rebels out, and also a second Death Star of sorts (The Tarkin storyline) years before ROTJ.

You know what's kind of funny as well-Marvel had storylines about cute creatures helping the rebels out, and also a second Death Star of sorts (The Tarkin storyline) years before ROTJ.
    Wasn't that other cute animals story written after ROTJ?

Am aware of the Tarkin story. My understanding is that the comic writers pitched the idea of a second Death Star that needed to be taken out before ROTJ was released and was told by LucasFilm it was a no-go. It literally boiled down to them getting the okay by just calling their Death Star something else and making it look different. Apparently those involved were later amused when they realized that they'd basically wanted to write the last movie while the real deal was being made.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

whereas Ewoks kind of tried to cash in on the whole cute colorful animals cartoon and toy craze of the mid 80's ( I think there was one episode that involved the Empire though).
    Ewoks episode "battle for the sunstar" wrote by paul dini. (yes that paul dini) It takes place right before return of the jedi and has the ewoks and a droid running around the star destroyer!

And yes the emperor shows up as well.

Doctor Raygar, a scientist for Emperor Palpatine, has designs on ruling the Galactic Empire and travels to the Forest Moon of Endor to obtain the powerful Sunstar from the Ewoks' Bright Tree Village. He is attacked by the shaman Logray, who uses the Sunstar against him, but Raygar's Imperial Reconnaissance Droids soon overwhelm the village and the doctor swiftly steals the Sunstar, returning with it to Admiral Kazz's Star Destroyer in orbit.
    Back in his lab, Raygar begins studying the Sunstar and realizes that by harnessing its power, he could remove Palpatine and install himself as the Galactic Emperor. But when creating a dangerous cannon with the Sunstar's powers, Raygar discovers that Wicket, Kneesaa, Latara and Teebo have come aboard Kazz's Star Destroyer with the help of a pilot droid named PD-28. Raygar plans to test his weapon on the captive Latara and Teebo, but is thwarted by Wicket. Inadvertently, Raygar fires upon the Emperor's approaching shuttle instead. Palpatine survives, and Admiral Kazz subsequently arrests Raygar, charging him with high treason. The Emperor then oversees the doctor's punishment personally. With PD-28, the Ewoks return safely to the Forest Moon of Endor, where Wicket, Kneesaa, Latara and Teebo say good-bye to the pilot droid as he embarks on a search for his old master.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Battle_for_the_Sunstar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Ewoks episode "battle for the sunstar" wrote by paul dini. (yes that paul dini) It takes place right before return of the jedi and has the ewoks and a droid running around the star destroyer!
    That was one of the better episodes, even if there were some logic holes (like how everyone spoke English, er Basic).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And yes the emperor shows up as well.
    From a certain point of view he did.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'm mainly referring to the Hoojibs, although they are considerably different than Ewoks, they're still kind of small and fuzzy.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Hoojib

They had a book and record with the hoojibs also.

Plus the green rabbit went on to get his own show!

Empty is thy hand!

I loved Bucky O'Hare before I loved Star Wars so that bit of trivia still makes me smile.

They're not so hot in hindsight, but the Force Unleashed games were pretty popular. Even though there was lots of disappointment over part 2, those couple games had a big crossover appeal.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    I loved Bucky O'Hare before I loved Star Wars so that bit of trivia still makes me smile.

They're not so hot in hindsight, but the Force Unleashed games were pretty popular. Even though there was lots of disappointment over part 2, those couple games had a big crossover appeal.
    Part 2. Their subversion disease turned the Rebllion into an Imperial plot that got out of control.