View Poll Results: Who’s worthy of being the next villain for the film universe?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Galactus

17 20.73%
  • Kang/Immortus

17 20.73%
  • Shuma Gorath

3 3.66%
  • Mephisto

2 2.44%
  • The Deviants/Overmind

0 0%
  • High Evolutionary

3 3.66%
  • Korvac

1 1.22%
  • Dark Phoenix

2 2.44%
  • The Sphinx

0 0%
  • Annihilus

4 4.88%
  • Magus

0 0%
  • Onslaught

0 0%
  • Kree/Skrull War

5 6.10%
  • Doctor Doom

26 31.71%
  • Other—specify

2 2.44%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    oh really? the live-action of Doom has failed 3 times, now. you say it's easy. reality disputes that.
    Roger Corman's was never going to see the light of day so it literally didn't matter what they did for Doom. The film was never supposed to be released and the only reason it was is because an illegal copy surfaced and has circulated ever since. Point being is that it didn't matter what they did for Doom, the production only happened to hold onto the rights. The same argument can be made for practically everything about that production. Doom's first foray onto the silver screen was never supposed to even materialize.

Tim Story's Doctor Doom was built in the same way Green Goblin was because Spider-man had at that point just happened. Audiences mocked Green Goblin for resembling a Power Rangers villain and it was decided that he wouldn't be in costume for most of the film. As such he also gained the company angle because it allowed the production crew to provide an origin and motivation for both the Four and Doom. This is of course kind of changed in RoTSS but he's not even the big bad of that film because they wanted to use Galactus.

Josh Trank's Doctor Doom was never supposed to be in the film as the production was aiming more at Galactus and of all things, Mole man. Now Doom was in some scripts but like Venom in Spider-man 3, he wasn't even supposed to be. The film wasn't built for Doom and even in the script he was in before shooting, it was never even him to begin with. When it came to the actual shooting and the absolute disaster that was Fant4stick any good will that was in Doom's scenes ultimately got removed as the studio tried to save the film.

Doom is also not the reason any of these attempts didn't work.
    -Roger Corman's was never supposed to be released
    -Tim Story ironically had no story to speak of and when it did it failed because Doom was barely Doom in it or Space-cloud Galactus. Spider-man was also heavily influencing these films due to it being the breakout success at the time and it just didn't gel.
    -Josh Trank was a disaster from start to finish that was flippant throughout production about what it even wanted to do.

At worst you could argue that the portrayal wasn't great but Doom was either never meant for the production and added last minute or the film was never supposed to be seen in the first place.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Galactus
    Kang/Immortus
    Doctor Doom
    Mephisto
    Dark Phoniex (this is my preferred choice- they haven't really done hero turned evil yet).

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Not that hard. Just make it so that Latveria is an irrelevant country until Doom comes to power which can happen during the course of the movie he's introduced in. Also at this point, I doubt the MCU will screw it up. SuperiorIronMan pretty much nailed in a few posts ago.
    Yeah, Im not seeing the challenge here either.

I'm not terribly worried about the Studio pulling Doom off despite the Fox attempts. Different companies, different people. Hell, when Spidey joined the MCU he had three back-to-back films that weren't exactly loved, with the Amazing films and SM3. Turned out fine in the MCU though.

And at this point, the MCU is welcome to do whatever the hell it wants, far as I'm concerned. Twenty movies and not one failure. They've earned some credit and if they say they want to use Doom once the Fox deal is done, I have no reason to think they won't be successful with it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think the MCU has set the stage for a Dr. Doom quite well. Powerwise, he’s Iron Man + Dr. Strange. I think audiences would accept that.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    I think the MCU has set the stage for a Dr. Doom quite well. Powerwise, he’s Iron Man + Dr. Strange. I think audiences would accept that.
    MCU has sort of dabbled with the notion that magic and science are sort of the same thing, so Doom might be right at home.

I voted Galactus but I should've voted other as I want Magneto badly.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

We've been over this. They made the Red Skull a failed super soldier; tying his origin (which we didn't actually see) to that of the hero. He was considered to be one of the weaker MCU villains. Loki's origin was Thor's origin. You only needed to know that he was the hero's jealous sibling. They both have origins and powers that mirror those of the heroes they face. Same with Magneto. Same with Abomination. Same with Doctor Minerva. Same with General Zodd. Same with Darth Vader. Same with Killmonger. Doom has none of that. He wasn't created for live-action. Good luck with the watered down version though.
    The way Doom rolls in the comics, he's just as much an adversary for Stark as he is for Reed. And he has some important stories with Doctor Strange also. And as for not being created for live action, one could say that for quite a few characters that have been brought to the screen successfully. The advances in the technology are so far ahead of what it was in the first 2 Fox movies that this isn't even a valid criticism. Even without being a special effect, audiences accepted Loki's big horned helmet because the character was given the proper gravitas by the script and the performance. Granted, the casting will be a key in making Doom a success.

First thought was Galactus. But i choose Doom. I don't think going full cosmic is the best idea. Thanos wiped half the universe. Nothing can top that. Rather have a villain who can be like Nick Fury. Able to appear in any superhero film and make the audience cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The way Doom rolls in the comics, he's just as much an adversary for Stark as he is for Reed. And he has some important stories with Doctor Strange also.
    And as for not being created for live action, one could say that for quite a few characters that have been brought to the screen successfully. The advances in the technology are so far ahead of what it was in the first 2 Fox movies that this isn't even a valid criticism. Even without being a special effect, audiences accepted Loki's big horned helmet because the character was given the proper gravitas by the script and the performance. Granted, the casting will be a key in making Doom a success.
    Loki is not from Earth. Thanos is not from Earth. the only explanation required for either character is that they are not from Earth. the closest comparison would be the Mandarin. even then, explaining Doom to an audience of non-comic book readers is going to be tougher than introducing an earthling who recovered "magical" rings from a crashed UFO and chose to style himself after some feudal lord.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Roger Corman's was never going to see the light of day so it literally didn't matter what they did for Doom. The film was never supposed to be released and the only reason it was is because an illegal copy surfaced and has circulated ever since. Point being is that it didn't matter what they did for Doom, the production only happened to hold onto the rights. The same argument can be made for practically everything about that production. Doom's first foray onto the silver screen was never supposed to even materialize.

Tim Story's Doctor Doom was built in the same way Green Goblin was because Spider-man had at that point just happened. Audiences mocked Green Goblin for resembling a Power Rangers villain and it was decided that he wouldn't be in costume for most of the film. As such he also gained the company angle because it allowed the production crew to provide an origin and motivation for both the Four and Doom. This is of course kind of changed in RoTSS but he's not even the big bad of that film because they wanted to use Galactus.

Josh Trank's Doctor Doom was never supposed to be in the film as the production was aiming more at Galactus and of all things, Mole man. Now Doom was in some scripts but like Venom in Spider-man 3, he wasn't even supposed to be. The film wasn't built for Doom and even in the script he was in before shooting, it was never even him to begin with. When it came to the actual shooting and the absolute disaster that was Fant4stick any good will that was in Doom's scenes ultimately got removed as the studio tried to save the film.

Doom is also not the reason any of these attempts didn't work.
    -Roger Corman's was never supposed to be released
    -Tim Story ironically had no story to speak of and when it did it failed because Doom was barely Doom in it or Space-cloud Galactus. Spider-man was also heavily influencing these films due to it being the breakout success at the time and it just didn't gel.
    -Josh Trank was a disaster from start to finish that was flippant throughout production about what it even wanted to do.

At worst you could argue that the portrayal wasn't great but Doom was either never meant for the production and added last minute or the film was never supposed to be seen in the first place.
    i didn't even count Corman's version. Tim Story made 2 fantastic four films. Doom was in both. ask yourself why Doom didn't use sorcery in any of those movies. why did he never operate out of a castle? anyways, i've said my piece. you want Doom. so you have no incentive to think about the possible hurdles.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

I can't logically explain why, but I really do not like Doctor Doom and I just cannot enjoy anything with him in it.

I've never felt that way about any other Marvel villain.
    Baby Thanos

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

The way to do Doom differently to Thanos might be to give him similar treatment as the original Secret Wars & Time Runs Out...the “other” contender simply on his own mission right until the 11th hour where he swipes the victory. That way, we as viewers are surprised when the “big bad” we’ve been watching the whole film is taken away from us and we are given Doom.

And the way Doom thinks he is right...sooo many people would be able to get behind this type of villain and actually route for him (as opposed to being against/scared of Thanos). He is, in a strange way, not unlike captain America in the sense he is the “little guy” standing up to far more powerful beings. Only in this case, Doom prevails.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    The way to do Doom differently to Thanos might be to give him similar treatment as the original Secret Wars & Time Runs Out...the “other” contender simply on his own mission right until the 11th hour where he swipes the victory. That way, we as viewers are surprised when the “big bad” we’ve been watching the whole film is taken away from us and we are given Doom.

And the way Doom thinks he is right...sooo many people would be able to get behind this type of villain and actually route for him (as opposed to being against/scared of Thanos). He is, in a strange way, not unlike captain America in the sense he is the “little guy” standing up to far more powerful beings. Only in this case, Doom prevails.
    like Helmut Zemo?

Ultimate Member

oh really? the live-action of Doom has failed 3 times, now. you say it's easy. reality disputes that.
    Not in the slightest, sorry. Corman's film was a cheap affair never intended to be released and only made to keep the rights.

Story's Doom was a poor man's Norman Osborn from Raimi's Spider-Man films.

Trank's Doom was, well IDK what he was supposed to actually.

We've NEVER seen a proper adaptation of Doom onscreen in a film that's meant to be taken seriously, simple as that.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

like Helmut Zemo?
    Think more Cap holding back Thanos.
    Doom smack-talking/facing down a Beyonder would be that but more.