View Poll Results: Who’s worthy of being the next villain for the film universe?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Galactus

17 20.73%
  • Kang/Immortus

17 20.73%
  • Shuma Gorath

3 3.66%
  • Mephisto

2 2.44%
  • The Deviants/Overmind

0 0%
  • High Evolutionary

3 3.66%
  • Korvac

1 1.22%
  • Dark Phoenix

2 2.44%
  • The Sphinx

0 0%
  • Annihilus

4 4.88%
  • Magus

0 0%
  • Onslaught

0 0%
  • Kree/Skrull War

5 6.10%
  • Doctor Doom

26 31.71%
  • Other—specify

2 2.44%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i don't think that any of you have really thought this through. moreso, I think that you're looking at it as comic book readers as opposed to people who have simply been watching MCU movies. they will need to explain why there is a caped Iron Man leading a fictional country who is skilled at science and magic but has had no presence in the MCU to-date. Black Panther being an unknown quantity is explainable because Wakanda was an urban legend. Thanos' hand being mostly unseen was due to him being an extraterrestrial. the Asgardians exist in a different plane of reality.

p.s. this same criticism works for the x-characters that will eventually show up.
    Well that's actually easily answerable. Doom's ascension to the throne could be fairly recent which may be why nobody has mentioned him. Latveria wasn't always ruled by Doom and as such one could create a film showing him taking over and establishing himself. His skills in the mystic arts could be from his mother or he's met the Ancient One and we've established in Doctor Strange that there is a ton of sorcerers out there who have gone through her doors. Doom's own armor can be understood as easily as it was to accept Tony Stark or Hank Pym.

Just stating he's new makes enough sense since even the source material explained it that way. Nobody really gave a damn about Latveria until Doom showed up be it when he was brought to America as a student or when he returned and took over.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

i don't think that any of you have really thought this through. moreso, I think that you're looking at it as comic book readers as opposed to people who have simply been watching MCU movies. they will need to explain why there is a caped Iron Man leading a fictional country who is skilled at science and magic but has had no presence in the MCU to-date. Black Panther being an unknown quantity is explainable because Wakanda was an urban legend. Thanos' hand being mostly unseen was due to him being an extraterrestrial. the Asgardians exist in a different plane of reality.

p.s. this same criticism works for the x-characters that will eventually show up.
    I used to worry about how they would do stuff like that. But since everything with Pym, Wakanda, magic, and whatever else that the MCU has introduced as "always been here but we never saw it until now" (not to mention all the stuff in Carol's film we haven't seen yet) I'm not even a little worried about them introducing Doom, his nation, or anything else.

Except mutants. Unless they say mutants are a new phenomena I dunno how they'd manage to make it seem like mutants were always around but never got involved before.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

logically, it should be Kang. they are messing with the timestream in Infinity War. that should get Kang's attention
    I was thinking the same thing.

If the Avengers start time travelling in Endgame then that could put them on Kang's radar.

Fighting Kang across different time periods would could offer some good opportunities as well. Marvel could bring back dead characters or characters we have not seen for a while or feature future legacy heroes fighting alongside current Avengers and Marvel heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I used to worry about how they would do stuff like that. But since everything with Pym, Wakanda, magic, and whatever else that the MCU has introduced as "always been here but we never saw it until now" (not to mention all the stuff in Carol's film we haven't seen yet) I'm not even a little worried about them introducing Doom, his nation, or anything else..
    yeah but see they did explain Pym, Wakanda, and magic. Doom and Latveria are an entirely different set of hurdles. if there were a fascistic dictator who walked around in a nuclear powered armor, we'd know. the Avengers would have already heard about him. Pym worked for a secret spy agency and operated at the size of circus peanut in the cold war era. and then he became a recluse. Wakanda is only accessible to Wakandans. we don't really have to question why neither was on the front page of the daily bugle. Ultron was a secret Hydra project. Zemo was a former soldier who no one could pick out of a lineup. and magic, by its very nature, is secret. imagine if the first time we saw Lex Luthor in Batman vs Superman if he were addressing his party guests in his big green and purple super-suit. the obvious question would be, "this guy's a leading businesman?" it was hard enough to take him seriously as-is. introducing Doom as-is is going to more like the introduction of the Suicide Squad. i rolled my eyes several times when they showed Deadshot on-the-job in his bright red and white (w/ one eye covered for some reason) suit. and don't get me started on them having Harley go into battle w/ a baseball bat. this has to be done very delicately. and i have no faith that it can be.

on the other hand, society has been greatly dumbed down. maybe they won't question it. it's fitting that Doom show up as the comicbookmovie movies finally go out of style.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I would have several building up to Secret Wars - Galactus, Doctor Doom and Magneto. With Norman Osborn as a additional threat and the Beyonder involved in Secret Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Well that's actually easily answerable. Doom's ascension to the throne could be fairly recent which may be why nobody has mentioned him. Latveria wasn't always ruled by Doom and as such one could create a film showing him taking over and establishing himself. His skills in the mystic arts could be from his mother or he's met the Ancient One and we've established in Doctor Strange that there is a ton of sorcerers out there who have gone through her doors. Doom's own armor can be understood as easily as it was to accept Tony Stark or Hank Pym.

Just stating he's new makes enough sense since even the source material explained it that way. Nobody really gave a damn about Latveria until Doom showed up be it when he was brought to America as a student or when he returned and took over.
    so then why does Doom give a damn about Latveria? and why is this Avengers business, if no one cares about Latveria? there was a lot of setup to establish Stark and Pym. look at how quickly everyone figured out that Stark was Iron Man in the MCU. it's because you don't create that kind of armor w/o raising some red flags. no one has mentioned von doom. but he's apparently capable of creating a suit more powerful than Stark's. and he knows magic from studying in his "gypsy" caravan. this doesn't sound ridiculous to you? he didn't ascend to the throne so much as wage a fullscale attack on the previous occupant. i'm really going to have to see this before believing it. because, on paper, it's a bad joke. if they are going to set it up, it should probably take place in Infinity War. because how else are you going to explain Doom's inaction while the world's population got dusted?

yeah but see they did explain Pym, Wakanda, and magic. Doom and Latveria are an entirely different set of hurdles. if there were a fascistic dictator who walked around in a nuclear powered armor, we'd know. the Avengers would have already heard about him. Pym worked for a secret spy agency and operated at the size of circus peanut in the cold war era. and then he became a recluse. Wakanda is only accessible to Wakandans. we don't really have to question why neither was on the front page of the daily bugle. Ultron was a secret Hydra project. Zemo was a former soldier who no one could pick out of a lineup. and magic, by its very nature, is secret. imagine if the first time we saw Lex Luthor in Batman vs Superman if he were addressing his party guests in his big green and purple super-suit. the obvious question would be, "this guy's a leading businesman?" it was hard enough to take him seriously as-is. introducing Doom as-is is going to more like the introduction of the Suicide Squad. i rolled my eyes several times when they showed Deadshot on-the-job in his bright red and white (w/ one eye covered for some reason) suit. and don't get me started on them having Harley go into battle w/ a baseball bat. this has to be done very delicately. and i have no faith that it can be.

on the other hand, society has been greatly dumbed down. maybe they won't question it. it's fitting that Doom show up as the comicbookmovie movies finally go out of style.
    Not that hard. Just make it so that Latveria is an irrelevant country until Doom comes to power which can happen during the course of the movie he's introduced in. Also at this point, I doubt the MCU will screw it up. SuperiorIronMan pretty much nailed in a few posts ago.

Ultimate Member

Considering how they've pulled Ant-Man, Wakanda, and are pulling Captain Marvel having been things for decades, I don't see why Doom would be hard to do.

I would have thought by now that fans would stop with the "the audience won't by this" or "it's too ridiculous" nonsense when it comes to CBM's, because every time that's been proven wrong. But no, some people never learn it would seem.

The general audience won't care as long as Doom is done well, guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Considering how they've pulled Ant-Man, Wakanda, and are pulling Captain Marvel having been things for decades, I don't see why Doom would be hard to do.

I would have thought by now that fans would stop with the "the audience won't by this" or "it's too ridiculous" nonsense when it comes to CBM's, because every time that's been proven wrong. But no, some people never learn it would seem.
    oh really? the live-action of Doom has failed 3 times, now. you say it's easy. reality disputes that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Not that hard. Just make it so that Latveria is an irrelevant country until Doom comes to power which can happen during the course of the movie he's introduced in. Also at this point, I doubt the MCU will screw it up. SuperiorIronMan pretty much nailed in a few posts ago.
    have you read Books of Doom? how much of it do you think they can work into what you described as "the course of the movie?"

oh really? the live-action of Doom has failed 3 times, now. you say it's easy. reality disputes that.
    Because this is Kevin Feige and the MCU. They have a track record at this point. You can doubt it but at this point, I think the MCU can introduce any of these characters with ease

have you read Books of Doom? how much of it do you think they can work into what you described as "the course of the movie?"
    You don't need any of that. Just introduce him as the new leader of Latveria and have him make moves from there. Too easy

double post

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Because this is Kevin Feige and the MCU. They have a track record at this point. You can doubt it but at this point, I think the MCU can introduce any of these characters with ease

You don't need any of that. Just introduce him as the new leader of Latveria and have him make moves from there. Too easy
    Exactly. Doom's origins could easily come in a recap scene. I always point to the brief Keyser Sose origin story Verbal gives to the cop in The Usual Suspects. We didn't get long origin stories for the Red Skull or Loki and those turned out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Exactly. Doom's origins could easily come in a recap scene. I always point to the brief Keyser Sose origin story Verbal gives to the cop in The Usual Suspects. We didn't get long origin stories for the Red Skull or Loki and those turned out fine.
    We've been over this. They made the Red Skull a failed super soldier; tying his origin (which we didn't actually see) to that of the hero. He was considered to be one of the weaker MCU villains. Loki's origin was Thor's origin. You only needed to know that he was the hero's jealous sibling. They both have origins and powers that mirror those of the heroes they face. Same with Magneto. Same with Abomination. Same with Doctor Minerva. Same with General Zodd. Same with Darth Vader. Same with Killmonger. Doom has none of that. He wasn't created for live-action. Good luck with the watered down version though.

Feige isn't infallible. He let joss whedon set the pace (and put Cap in that lame costume). The Russo Brothers were necessary to course correct. If not for them, Feige might not have taken the chance on Thor Ragnarok. Doctor Strange was the opposite of magical. Because it needed to fit Feige's formula. How will Doom work given that limitation?

I'll ignore your last statement. You're not detailing even a barebones plot. The new leader of a country wouldn't be wearing a cape and armor; just as Zemo wasn't wearing a magenta sock over his face.