Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't know much about Snyder but I love his Batman stories. Does a writer have a say of who he wants to draw his book or is it the company? I'm wondering if Snyder has a great eye for art because I'd never heard of Jock or Greg Capullo before his books and they drew amazing Batman comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I don't know much about Snyder but I love his Batman stories. Does a writer have a say of who he wants to draw his book or is it the company? I'm wondering if Snyder has a great eye for art because I'd never heard of Jock or Greg Capullo before his books and they drew amazing Batman comics.
    I'm not sure if it's Snyder, DC or both but he's had great artists on his books. I knew Rafael Albuquerque as I'm a fan of the American Vampire series created by Snyder/Albuquerque. Like you, I came across Jock and Greg Capullo in Snyder's Bat books.

It wasn't for me. His whole "this is the biggest thing that I have ever written" shtick for every new arc was tiresome and more often than not, his ideas are really childish. Also, the whole wikipedia info dump in every issue was incredibly annoying.

BANNED

Batman: Black Mirror 10/10
    Batman: Court of Owls10/10
    Batman: City of Owls7/10
    Batman: Death of The Family4/10
    Batman: Zero Year, Secret City 7/10
    Batman: Zero Year, Dark City7/10
    Batman: Graveyardshift3/10
    Batman: Endgame 5/10

This is what i read so far. Other than Black Mirror and Court of Owls, it's not very good.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    A writer can ask for an artist. Tom King was the one who chose David Finch for example, but DC was the one pairing Snyder and Capullo when they began working in Batman. That's the first time they know each other.
    It was in one of Snyder's interview.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

My recollections of his run, which I've never revisited, are not particularly fond. I enjoyed Zero Year but that whole Batrabbit thing with Gordon in an Iron Man suit soured the whole thing for me. God that was awful.

I just don't see what the fuss is about.
    Miller was right.

I think that Snyder overall is a really good writer, and when he is great he is really great. My personal gripe with him is I think he has way too much of an overeliance on his huge epic stories, they no longer feel as special when every story has the same scope to it.

I also don't really care for the overeliance on just Batman. Even after finishing his New 52 run, everything else he's done since has been Batman or Batman related, and I would much rather see Snyder take on other characters and get to see his own spin on them. He only has 3 non-Batman related DC series, Flashpoint: Project Superman, Swamp Thing, and Superman Unchained.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Way too dialogue heavy, but his stories were far more exciting than the trash King is slogging out right now.
    Pretty much how I feel. I would also add in addition to being way too dialogue heavy though, is that a lot of Snyder's stories and plots are WAY too grandiose and he constantly makes the next story bigger and flashier just to try to top the previous one (same thing with his Justice League). That can easily get tedious for a lot of people (I know it does for me).