Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default A Hair Raising Experience: Medusa Appreciation 2019

Introduction to the thread

It is now 2019 and I figured it was time to start a new appreciation thread for Medusa, queen of the Inhumans. I hope the new year ushers in new stories that are unhindered by any preconceived notions or harbored ill will due to the past. A new year means a fresh start and new opportunities. So let's dive into a sea of ruby red follicles and get entangled in the magnificent character that we know and love.

Previous appreciation thread

For the previous appreciation thread by Knight of DC, please click here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...a-Appreciation

Basic information on the character

Name: Medusalith (Medusa) Amaquelin- Boltagon
    Race: Inhuman
    Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 130 lbs (59 kg)
    Hair color: Red
    Eye color: Green
    Powers: Trichokinesis

Medusa can control the movement of her hair as if it were countless thin appendages growing from her head. A psionic field permeates her mutagenically altered hair-cells, causing mutual attraction across the gaps between strands. These relatively small forces operate in conjunction to develop larger forces. Through concentration, she can psionically move her hair in any manner imaginable. She can snap the length of it through the air like a whip (the tip of which moves faster than the speed of sound), or rotate it in a fan-like manner. She can bind persons or objects with it as if it were rope or use it to lift objects which weigh more than she could lift with her arms. (Her scalp, skull, and neck do not support the weight of an object that she lifts: it is held aloft by the psionic force coursing through the hair.) Medusa can also perform delicate manipulations with her hair such as lock picking or threading a needle, and such complex acts of coordination as typing or shuffling a deck of cards. Although she has no nerve endings in her hair, she can "feel" sensations on all parts of her hair by a form of mental feedback from her psionic field.

Medusa possesses a long, thick head of hair, every strand of which has greater tensile strength, modulus of elasticity, and shear resistance than an iron wire of the same thickness (average hair diameter: .045 inches), as well as the psychokinetic ability to animate her hair for a number of feats. Her hair, approximately 6 feet in length while relaxed, can elongate to almost twice its normal length with only about a 25% loss of overall tensile strength. One strand of hair, 2-feet long, can support 6.4 pounds, a fist-sized lock of hair can support about 750 pounds and her whole head of hair can lift about 3,200 pounds (1.6 tons). A portion of her hair must be used to anchor the rest at these greater weights, so that more than her scalp/skull is used as a brace.

Recommended reading

As of right now there are no on-going comic titles in which Medusa is prominently featured. She was seen a few times with her sister, Crystal, in the current Fantastic Four title. But for recommended reading, please click here: https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/01...nimated-movie/
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 03-15-2019 at 03:44 AM.

Medusa was most recently featured in an image along side her sister on Twitter, hinting at the Fantastic Four's inclusion to Marvel Future Fight on January 4, 2019.

Medusa has always been an interesting character. I've always liked her relationship with Black Bolt and her role as Queen of the Inhumans.

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Incredible Member
    Last edited by mogwen; 01-20-2019 at 04:18 PM.

That is not true. Her hair is longer than 6 ft and eXtremely much longer than a mere 12 feet when engaged. Just look at the pics you used.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    That is not true. Her hair is longer than 6 ft and eXtremely much longer than a mere 12 feet when engaged. Just look at the pics you used.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that the information is untrue. The length and volume of Medusa's hair are very much up to artist interpretation, but I believe the given length of 6 feet is very much in line with what Jack Kirby had originally envisioned.

Also, looking at other images and animated portrayals of the character also suggest that her hair is nowhere near as long or can stretch to the length that artists like Joe Madureira suggest in their art. During "Inhuman" and Civil War II" in particular, her hair was very exaggerated, probably just because it looks cool in action.

As you suggested, there may not necessarily be a defined length of her hair as claimed by Marvel wiki, but given that her height is supposed to be 5' 11'' I think 6' seems pretty accurate based on most of her appearances aside from the occasional artistic freedom that is taken to make something look cool or allow the character to do something amazing on the page.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 01-21-2019 at 12:09 AM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Bruce Timm

Kevin Wada

Medusa drawn by Bruce Timm looks incredible!

First appearance: Fantastic Four #36 (March 1965):

Cool old-time Madame Medusa pics! Thanks, MajorHoy!

I prefer Medusa when she is drawn with a mask. I feel like it helps add to the mystery of the Inhumans.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I posted this in the Inhumans thread as well:

There seems to be a rumor going about in the Spanish speaking part of Instagram that Marvel is interested in bringing the Inhumans into the MCU proper. So far I have counted 10 accounts that posted this. I have no idea where their information came from or if there is any truth to this at all. But that is apparently circulating as a current rumor.

I highly doubt it's true, simply because no English speaking sites or accounts have posted this information.

Regardless of whether or not these rumors are true (which I hope they are), who would you want to play Medusa in an MCU movie? A friend showed me Jessica Chastain as Medusa in some fan art and I have loved the idea ever since.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I posted this in the Inhumans thread as well:

There seems to be a rumor going about in the Spanish speaking part of Instagram that Marvel is interested in bringing the Inhumans into the MCU proper. So far I have counted 10 accounts that posted this. I have no idea where their information came from or if there is any truth to this at all. But that is apparently circulating as a current rumor.

I highly doubt it's true, simply because no English speaking sites or accounts have posted this information.

Regardless of whether or not these rumors are true (which I hope they are), who would you want to play Medusa in an MCU movie? A friend showed me Jessica Chastain as Medusa in some fan art and I have loved the idea ever since.

Yes, Jessica Chastain would be really cool! She can have this aristocratic look, this regal bearing inherent to Medusa.

Without spoilers, I just left Captain Marvel with a few ideas in my head on how to introduce the Inhumans or rather how they could fit into the MCU after this movie. I am sure Kevin Feige has no interest in introducing them any time soon or maybe ever, but the opportunity just presents itself so well now.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    Without spoilers, I just left Captain Marvel with a few ideas in my head on how to introduce the Inhumans or rather how they could fit into the MCU after this movie. I am sure Kevin Feige has no interest in introducing them any time soon or maybe ever, but the opportunity just presents itself so well now.
    I had a bit of hope that they would mention them somehow, but the reality is that Feige isn't going to use them. They are so involved with the Kree that, after seeing so many Kree in the trailers, etc., it would make sense for them to appear. I haven't seen the film, so I don't know how the Kree will meet their expected demise.