Results 1 to 15 of 70

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    1,498

    Default Iron Fist: The Living Weapon Appreciation 2019

    Hi all. Just thought I'd start a new Iron Fist thread. This is where we can share our love and appreciation for that champion of K'un Lun and hero for hire, the immortal Iron Fist! Whether it's Danny Rand, Orson Randall, or any of the other Iron Fists past, present, or future, we can talk about them here!

    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  2. #2
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    So, I was rereading Eric Brisson's Iron Fist run a couple of weeks ago.



    In previous posts, some posters mentioned how the series was decent. It told a good Iron Fist story, but it didn't really move the character forward. However, after a second read through, I respectfully disagree. The story accomplished a lot and moved Danny as a character. In one sense, it built upon the mythos of K'un Lun with the island of Liu-Shi. In terms of Danny itself though, it really built him up. Indeed, I had forgotten just how good of a martial artist Danny is. Like a lot of other posters, I'm reminded of Danny using his iron fist to smash S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarriers, maglev trains, and Hulks. This storyline established that Danny is a lot more than just his iron fist. In the first couple of issues, he doesn't use it often. Rather he relies on his skill (and man he shows some truly excellent skill) to beat other highly trained fighters.

    This idea of the martial artist helped to counter that subtle theme that was prevalent in the series; Danny Rand's worthiness. Was Danny Rand worthy to be the immortal Iron Fist? Did he earn that title? Did he deserve it? Or was he just some privileged white guy who stole something that didn't belong to him?

    For me, Danny's firmly answered those questions with every punch, kick, headbutt, eye gouge, foot stomp, etc. In a fight, race and ethnicity, gender and sexuality, poverty and privilege, belonging and exile....all of those issues go out the door. At the end of the day, Danny is a person. A person who damn-well deserves to be Iron Fist.

    So yeah, loved to reread this storyline. Made me proud to be a Danny Rand Iron Fist fan.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    So, I was rereading Eric Brisson's Iron Fist run a couple of weeks ago.



    In previous posts, some posters mentioned how the series was decent. It told a good Iron Fist story, but it didn't really move the character forward. However, after a second read through, I respectfully disagree. The story accomplished a lot and moved Danny as a character. In one sense, it built upon the mythos of K'un Lun with the island of Liu-Shi. In terms of Danny itself though, it really built him up. Indeed, I had forgotten just how good of a martial artist Danny is. Like a lot of other posters, I'm reminded of Danny using his iron fist to smash S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarriers, maglev trains, and Hulks. This storyline established that Danny is a lot more than just his iron fist. In the first couple of issues, he doesn't use it often. Rather he relies on his skill (and man he shows some truly excellent skill) to beat other highly trained fighters.

    This idea of the martial artist helped to counter that subtle theme that was prevalent in the series; Danny Rand's worthiness. Was Danny Rand worthy to be the immortal Iron Fist? Did he earn that title? Did he deserve it? Or was he just some privileged white guy who stole something that didn't belong to him?

    For me, Danny's firmly answered those questions with every punch, kick, headbutt, eye gouge, foot stomp, etc. In a fight, race and ethnicity, gender and sexuality, poverty and privilege, belonging and exile....all of those issues go out the door. At the end of the day, Danny is a person. A person who damn-well deserves to be Iron Fist.

    So yeah, loved to reread this storyline. Made me proud to be a Danny Rand Iron Fist fan.
    This series was soooooooo good! I hated it got cancelled because Brisson was killing it!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), The Atom (Ray Palmer) , Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man (Scott Lang), & Iron Man.

    Current Pulls: Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Venom, Immortal Hulk, Shazam,Guardians of The Galaxy, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, & Spider-Man Life Story.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Always been a huge fan of Danny Rand. Just wish he got the respect and love that he deserves.
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  5. #5
    Y'know. Pav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    The issue of Avengers showcasing the story of the first Iron Fist came out today, and I'm curious what others thought.

    -Pav, who enjoyed it quite a lot...
    2019 Marvel Monthly Buys: Superior Spider-Man Runaways Absolute Carnage: Lethal Protectors Silver Surfer: Black Death's Head House of X Powers of X Contagion

    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school students! DM for details

  6. #6
    Incredible Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Not read Avengers yet. Just dropped by to join in on the love for Danny. Always been one of my favourites.

    Wish a team as enthusiastic as the Fraction/Brubaker/Aja team came along and took him further.

    Still better the conclusion of Immortal Iron-Fist with Mistys pregnancy just got ignored.

  7. #7
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The issue of Avengers showcasing the story of the first Iron Fist came out today, and I'm curious what others thought.

    -Pav, who enjoyed it quite a lot...
    Hey Pav. Yeah, got the issue today. It left me dissatisfied in some areas, but entertained in others. In terms of my gripes, I don't think it connected that cleanly to Iron Fist lore. I was hoping to see the origins of Shou-Lao, the Thunderer Kung Fu in K'un Lun, and connections with the "first" Iron Fist Yaozu among other things. There wasn't a lot explained in those regards. From what I can gather, even one million years ago, K'un Lun had a long tradition of fighting. I wanted to read how the Iron Fist had become the champion of K'un Lun, but it wasn't really explained. There were hints and things that I could assume, but not much else. For instance, Fan Fei may have had something to do with K'un Lun's stance against women having the Iron Fist. It's implied, but nothing is explicit. Plus, the story in itself seemed odd. Iron Fist goes out into the world, meets the ancient form of a modern Marvel character, gets beaten up, goes to K'un Lun, but doesn't stay. Story was just kinda like, yeah, stuff happens.

    What I did like though were the themes. Themes of exclusion and defending and teaching those who are weak, that's something that our modern day Danny does. Fan Fei's rebellion, that was cool too.

    So yeah, the issue didn't give me the answers, but still left behind some cool themes.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  8. #8
    Amazing Member macjr33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    This series was soooooooo good! I hated it got cancelled because Brisson was killing it!
    While it certainly wasn't as ground breaking as the Brubaker/Fraction Immortal Iron Fist, I still enjoyed it immensely and love Brission as a writer. I am hoping he writes Daredevil at some point in the future.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    659

    Default



    What happened to Yu Ti?

  10. #10
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post


    What happened to Yu Ti?
    In the comic, the person who was the Yu Ti escaped K'un Lun during it's rebellion. Could come back.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  11. #11

    Default

    I think Avengers #13 deals with the prehistoric Iron Fist.

    Danny's a fun character but more of an ensemble player to me. I liked him joining the Midnight Sons in his last series and hoped that continues.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-20-2019 at 12:18 PM.

  12. #12
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    This Wednesday, we get to see the origins of the Iron Fist from the B.C. Avengers with Avengers #13:

    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-avengers-...n-fist-origin/

    Preview looks interesting. Already we see there is this edge of secrecy and isolationism in K'un Lun. Even a million years ago, it had a pretty low view of outsiders. Already we see that someone is willing to break that trend and that this person is a woman. Could she have planted the seeds for K'un Lun's misogyny? It would be ironic that the first Iron Fist was not only a woman, but also initiated the first acts of rebellion in K'un Lun.

    I was wondering if there could be more creativity with the K'un Lun designs, though. The clothing, eh, not that imaginative. It's basically Lei Kung with a dinosaur on his mask.

    Still, I'll bite. Keeping the Iron Fists crossed with this story!
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  13. #13
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Just wanted to share my favorite images from last year's Defender's series. Damn, Marquez really nailed just how awesome Danny can be with the iron fist:


    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  14. #14
    The One Above All 616MarvelYear is LeapYear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marvel Studios
    Posts
    9,831

    Talking Happy Birthday Keith Pollard!!!

    Master of Kung Fu Annual #1 (1976)

    This issue has Iron Fist teaming up with Shang-Chi, son of Fu Manchu, on an adventure to another dimension.
    This one shot comic was part martial arts fight-fest, part sword and sorcery epic.
    Thatís right, kung fu and magic:

    This double-size comic was written by Doug Moench

    with artwork by Keith Pollard.
    http://greatlakescomicconvention.com/pollard.html
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/keith-pollard/4040-4300/
    Imperius Rex!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/.../74396-9Bk.jpg
    It's clobberin' time! Hulk is strongest one there is! Have at thee!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-51Bk.jpg
    I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice.
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-43Bk.jpg

  15. #15
    Amazing Member macjr33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Just wanted to share my favorite images from last year's Defender's series. Damn, Marquez really nailed just how awesome Danny can be with the iron fist:


    This is sooo good. While I enjoyed the Defenders series overall, it was worth it just for the artwork alone. Marquez took it even further with the fight between Danny and Elektra even later in the series.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •