Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Honestly I think Brubaker and Fraction are a little overrated. The art did so much of the lifting for a rather well written story built on some pretty basic ideas. The Iron Fist legacy just isn't that remarkable aside from Randall being cool and it being a storytelling engine for filler material.

I'll have to re read Swiercynzski and Andrews but they both did well in the shadows of the other work. Brisson's comic was a lot of fun.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Honestly I think Brubaker and Fraction are a little overrated. The art did so much of the lifting for a rather well written story built on some pretty basic ideas. The Iron Fist legacy just isn't that remarkable aside from Randall being cool and it being a storytelling engine for filler material.

I'll have to re read Swiercynzski and Andrews but they both did well in the shadows of the other work. Brisson's comic was a lot of fun.
    The reputation is well-deserved I think. Yes, Aja's art was and still is beautiful and dynamic. Whether the page was filled with multiple panels or a splash page, the art was incredible. But the writing and storytelling were good. We got to see Danny fleshed out more as a character and the Iron Fist legacy, K'un Lun mythos, and Heavenly Cities expanded upon. Now, on a glance, the ideas were basic. An iron fist legacy. Cities besides K'un Lun. A women's revolution in K'un Lun. But that's the beauty isn't it, the simplest ideas turn out to be the best ones.

Indeed, there still a ton, TON of potential with the Iron Fist legacy. There had to be Iron Fists who crossed over with Black Panthers and Moon Knights. I guarantee you an Iron Fist fought against Apocalypse and his Four Horsemen (would be cool if Iron Fist and the other Immortal Weapons fought against Apocalypse and Clan Akkaba for the fate of K'un Lun, the Heavenly Cities, or China). Plus, there's still a lot more legacy left. Pei and future Iron Fists have plenty of story potential.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Want to reread Brisson's run. Brubaker-light, sure, but it was a good, clean, story that reestablished a lot of aspects of both Iron Fist and his mythos.

In any case, be on the lookout folks. Danny and Luke have made appearances in the War of Realms main book and tie-in's. Yeah, he just gets a line or two, but still appreciate the fact that Danny is still around.
    Indeed! I’ll take what I can get at this point.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

The Brubaker/Fraction run was not without flaws - the writers were maybe a bit too much in love with their Orson Randal (and who was, awkwardly, yet another non-Asian outlander Iron Fist), we started to get too much emphasis on powers and weapons rather than martial art styles (imo), and once Aja jumps ship the story flounders a little, with a disappointing melee battle rather than the kind of duels I wanted for Danny - but altogether it was a great run with some terrific artwork, not just from Aja, but also from Travel Foreman in the flashbacks (his work is much better here than in the following run, imo).

Swiercynzski's run was okay, and I liked Brisson's run without finding it particularly interesting; Andrews' run had great art, but I flat-out hated it - I felt it treated a lot of the Iron Fist mythos with a lack of respect or affection, plus it managed to have no fights for Danny that I thought were really cool!
    Last edited by Panic; 05-20-2019 at 02:20 PM.

For me, Brubaker, Faction, and Aja set a good tone. The storytelling and characterization were really good throughout their two arcs, though I feel that the ball was dropped on the last issue of the tournament storyline, since Aja didn't fully draw it. Swiercynzski and Forman started off their run in the mold of Brubaker and Aja, but really made the series their own with the 8th City arc. That was a good story. Felt like this Dirty Dozens/Expendables group of immortal weapons who had to fight their way out of hell.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I enjoyed Kaare's run. It was jarring at first since it didn't seem to fit with the past characterization of Danny. It works, however, if you're willing to believe that someone like Danny could have mental health issues. And for me, i could accept that. I know of a lot of people who can be calm, centered, practice meditation, yoga, and martial arts, and still have to go to therapy to deal with anger, PTSD, and depression. To me, that was Danny. As for the fights, I thought the last four issues were just soooo good. Danny and Sparrow storming Rand Enterprises, an iron fist that went 3 pages long, transferring chi to make a building robot against a fire god, that was some over the top, blockbuster, balls to wall action film stuff there. In the end, we got the Danny that we knew and love. Plus, there were new characters like Pei (who defintely deserves to come back. Please, people at Marvel, can we have Pei back? Make her the sidekick of Danny, or part of the Champions, BUT PLEASE JUST BRING BACK PEI!).

As for Brisson's run, it was just good, steady, storytelling. It didn't add, but it reestablished that Danny was a premeire martial artist and deserved to be the Iron Fist.
    "I am a man of peace."

As a reminder, Danny will be showing up in the latest War of Realms one-shot, Strikeforce: Land of Giants coming out this Wednesday. Check it out at the link http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...giants-2019-1/
    "I am a man of peace."

Danny returns in a mini for the next event in August, alongside Cloak, Dagger, and Morbius. Because they were all guests used to pad out the original, terrible Maximum Carnage.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Cooooooooool!!!!
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Danny returns in a mini for the next event in August, alongside Cloak, Dagger, and Morbius. Because they were all guests used to pad out the original, terrible Maximum Carnage.

Iron Fist and Morbius in a comic together?!

Soooooold. So sold.

-Pav, who can't wait...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post

Ha, I didn't mind Maximum Carnage. When you're 8 yrs. old, that stuff was storytelling at it's best. Yeah, it seemed every issue was mindless action this and body bag that, but still, it was nice.

And it's great to see some of the original heroes from that crossover will be making an appearance. Real street level icons here.

Ultimately, looking forward to this.
    "I am a man of peace."

Ha, I didn't mind Maximum Carnage. When you're 8 yrs. old, that stuff was storytelling at it's best. Yeah, it seemed every issue was mindless action this and body bag that, but still, it was nice.

And it's great to see some of the original heroes from that crossover will be making an appearance. Real street level icons here.

Ultimately, looking forward to this.
    Agreed. Maximum Carnage was brain-candy of the finest quality.

Danny appeared in the recent issue of Daredevil. Daredevil is currently on a very strong run and I hightly recommend checking it out if you haven’t.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Just read Danny's appearance in the War of Realms Strikeforce: Land of Giants one-shot. We get to see Danny quip and make some jokes. His relationship with Luke was cool. Saw an iron fist. But, definitely felt that there could be more, especially the iron fists.
    "I am a man of peace."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    from some past Marvel Handbook entries:

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol. 1 No. 5 (May 1983)

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition Vol. 1 No. 24 (November 1992)

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Marvel Knights 2005
    Now with the original Marvel Universe handbook, it says this about Danny's chi focusing abilities: Iron fist is able to focus his chi to "spiritually reinforce Olympic level normal abilities raising them to peak human capacity." It then states, "This includes strength, speed, stamina and concentration. . . ."

Since Danny is an olympic level athlete and his chi focus throughout his body can raise them to peak human capacity, I always felt that Danny should be able to physically be on the level of Captain America and Black Panther. The thing is this really is barely touched on by creators that wrote Danny. I mean if he was already an Olympic level athlete and his chi can reinforce and raise his strength, speed, stamina and concentration to peak human capacity; then that is what Cap and BP can do via the Sup. Soldier Serum and Heart Shaped Herb. Now Danny is smaller in frame to Cap and BP. They are 200lbs and over and Danny is only 175lbs, so I guess he would not be as strong but his physical capabilities should be on their level. I said and wrote this for years but was wondering other Iron Fist fans thoughts?

Mighty Member

As a reminder, Danny will be showing up in the latest War of Realms one-shot, Strikeforce: Land of Giants coming out this Wednesday. Check it out at the link http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...giants-2019-1/
    Is this worth picking up for Iron Fist Fans?