Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Hopefully they have fight choreography on the level of what was in The Winter Soldier, if not better.

Also chances The Mandarin ends up being Shang-chi's father in this version, hmm? And speaking of the Mandarin, part of thinks it'd be darkly funny if you just see a skull with Trevor's beard sitting on a stand in Mandarin's lair or something.

Mighty Member

I am stoked to see what Marvel has planned but I really want to see The Cat. Especially the version where he and Shang have never beaten one another. Also it would be cool to see Deadpool fanboy over him.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    I don't know much about Shang-Chi, but i am excited for this film

he is considered the greatest pure H2H fighter in the marvel universe right? he is a better fighter than T'challa, Steve, Wolverine etc. etc.?
    Shang Chi and Iron Fist are generally considered the best hero martial artists in the Marvel in the Marvel Universe.

Shang Chi is often described as not having powers (minus the more recent duplicate creation) but the things he is capable of are near enough super human.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    The whole being descended from Genghis Khan thing is a bit silly since it isn't unique. 16 million individuals alive today are descended from Genghis Khan.
    I believe it's much more actually. IIRC the 16 million number is patrilineal only. Prince Charles is also believed to be a patrilineal descendant of Genghis Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't think marvel has ever really gone out of their way to establish who the best h2h fighter is. Plus, there are several skilled figthers who also have some degree of meta human abilities, which sort of muddies the question when it comes to feats.

In the least he's very very respected and likely should be considered ONE of the top fighters.
    According to Black Panther in the comics, Shang's the most skilled of all. Of course powers mean that he wouldn't win a fight against someone he's more skilled than. ie Cap vs Shang, Shang's the more skilled but Cap's got his super soldier treatment and his shield. Panther vs Shang, BP's got his panther serum and his vibranium suit. And so forth.

I really like the actor. Kim's Convenience was one of the surprise favorite shows Netflix suggested to me.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    CM Punk did a one shot last year that I thought was pretty good. Shang was pretty easy going.
    Ugh, I remember that one-shot. The story was really weird and the characterization was strange as well. Yeah, Shang can be easy going, but still dignified and confident. He was too laid back here.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Well Iron Man can lift tens of thousands of tons, and Mandarin can do this to him without the rings:

So Shang could need to completely avoid being hit by him until his chi is completely exhausted. If he gets hit even once by a Mandarin who still has chi left, he'd be exploded into gore. That doesn't make Shang "pathetic", though, just less powerful. I wouldn't be surprised if the movies play this as power vs agility and patience. In the early parts of the movie, Mandarin takes out Shang with a casual backhand slap while holding back tremendously. By the end, Shang outlasts him by dancing around him and getting him to waste chi smashing walls and kicking cars into the air until he runs out of gas. That would be a very movieish story: Mandarin tries to train Shang to be as savage as himself, and laments that Shang doesn't measure up. In the end, Shang beats him by following the path of patience.

The Mandarin is a tiger and a mountain, a savage Man of Iron. Shang learns to be the wind and the river.

Just my theory.
    That's a cool theory! Shang has to outlast this powerful foe.

Speaking of the Mandarin, there seems to be a bigger sense of interest in the Shang-Chi film with the Mandarin in there. I'm starting to appreciate that power dynamic. In the MCU, the Ten Rings organization seemed to be this shadowy, yet powerful force involved with all these happenings. The Mandarin himself surely must be powerful and has the power of the Ten Rings.

But the one person to rebel him is his son. This huge, shadowy, powerful empire was supposed to be his. But he rejects it. What great storytelling is that, right? Again, the Shang-Chi/Fu Manchu dynamic is that idea in the comics, but adding the Mandarin brings more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Hopefully they will go with the Tem Borjigin name for The Mandarin. It fits the whole "descended from Ghenghis Khan" thing best.
    Hmmm, a Mongolian name? Don't know how that'd fly in China. There are 56 ethnicities in China, and yes, Mongolians are one of them. Some Chinese may have Mongol blood. However, the predominant ethnicity is Han. If Marvel wants a Chinese villain who will appeal to a Chinese audience, they should keep him Han and have a Chinese name.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Hopefully they have fight choreography on the level of what was in The Winter Soldier, if not better.

Also chances The Mandarin ends up being Shang-chi's father in this version, hmm? And speaking of the Mandarin, part of thinks it'd be darkly funny if you just see a skull with Trevor's beard sitting on a stand in Mandarin's lair or something.
    I hope we see some great choreography as well. In my opinion, a Shang-Chi film is a different beast from The Winter Soldier. It can't just be brutal and effective, but also beautiful and authentic. I need to see those unique Kung Fu techiques.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I am stoked to see what Marvel has planned but I really want to see The Cat. Especially the version where he and Shang have never beaten one another. Also it would be cool to see Deadpool fanboy over him.
    Need a good henchmen. Cat could fit the bill.

In other news, South China Morning Post wrote this article concerning the importance of Tony Leung's casting in the film:

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/enter...marvel-villain

Seems that a lot of thought went into that casting, considering Tony is one of the most recognized and famous actors in Asia, especially with Chinese audiences. He's starred in a number of Zhang Yimou and War Kai Wong films. Additionally, the release of the film coincides just with the Chinese New Year holiday which is one of the most lucrative times for movies. Being a villain is a new thing for him considering he's usually been the good guy. Finally, the Mandarin possibly could be a major part of the MCU moving forward and a guy like Tony could carry the Mandarin character through multiple films.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 07-22-2019 at 07:42 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Do most people think that the Mandarin will be powerless or will his ten rings actually be alien artifacts with vast superpowers? And if they will have powers will the general audience think that they're too similar to the Infinity Stones? I could totally see Marvel thinking that and shy away from powered alien rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Do most people think that the Mandarin will be powerless or will his ten rings actually be alien artifacts with vast superpowers? And if they will have powers will the general audience think that they're too similar to the Infinity Stones? I could totally see Marvel thinking that and shy away from powered alien rings.
    I've been wondering that too. I could see them going either way.

Whether it's too much like the Stones.....depends on how they handle the rings I suppose, but I dont think it would be too much of a problem to make the rings "feel" different enough from the Stones to not be a problem. Or hell, Marvel could even lean into it! The Stones were atomized by Thanos, but their atoms are still out there.....maybe Zheng/Mandarin somehow manages to collect some and transform them into his rings?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

"Legend of the Ten Rings" sounds like they might be doing a lot more with the rings themselves than the organisation Ten Rings. At least it sounds like that to me anyway.

Maybe the rings are ancient alien artifacts passed down to different leaders/warriors/whatever, gifted to humanity by the alien dragon Fin Fang Foom, and they give the wearer superhuman strength, heightened intelligence, etc. Stuff like that.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

It's a nice way to use Mandarin in MCU, playing the role of Fu Manchu/Shang Chi's father. I'm more concerned when they decided to use that in regular comics for movie synergy.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Also chances The Mandarin ends up being Shang-chi's father in this version, hmm?
    Given that Fu Manchu's very name has become synonymous with racist, dehumanizing depictions of Asians in pop culture, the chances of him being Shang's dad in this are astronomically low (and that's not even getting into the rights issues). The Mandarin is almost definitely gonna be Shang's father in the MCU.

i hope that the soundtrack for the movie is exciting.

I anticipate the fight choreography will be very good. I suspect it will be a combination of "realer" stuff plus CGi-abetted stuff, wire-work, etc.

To avoid any licensing drama, I'm sure "Fu Manchu" will not be involved in the film. If his dad's name is kept as "Zheng Zhu" or the Mandarin, that's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    i hope that the soundtrack for the movie is exciting.

I anticipate the fight choreography will be very good. I suspect it will be a combination of "realer" stuff plus CGi-abetted stuff, wire-work, etc.

To avoid any licensing drama, I'm sure "Fu Manchu" will not be involved in the film. If his dad's name is kept as "Zheng Zhu" or the Mandarin, that's good enough.
    Or Tem Borjigin

I like finally seeing the Mandarin in the MCU but part of me wishes they would not use a supervillain like the Mandarin and instead play up Shang-Ci's British Intelligence and spy connections. Maybe in the sequel.