Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

"It's been a really in-depth search to try to find somebody who will capture this character with all the dimensions that he deserves. And it's going pretty well. We found him."

Told ya. Marvel won't let Shang down.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Marvel Phase Four seems generally great.But the Shang Chi movie is the movie i am looking forward to watch the most.
    Mandarin being the villain is awesome
    ,i think a MCU movie of Shang Chi packed with Kung Fu scenes against the Mandarin makes this easily a must see movie to me.
    Hear! Hear! To me, the Rising and Advancing Spirit deserves no less..
    From Iron Man #268

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

Hear! Hear! To me, the Rising and Advancing Spirit deserves no less..
    From Iron Man #268

Who cares? No IRON MAN. No Mandarin. End of story. Shang Chi can bite me. It’s IM villain and I hope real IM fans boycott this movie. Marvel’s hypocrisy is the reason why. They said it was a racist caricature to make the Mandarin Asian. Now all of a sudden it’s ok? Just to give some nobody character a big villain because he has none since he’s a z-lister?! Crossing my fingers and hoping this crash and burns!

Mandarin deserves some respect! Not being foiled by a loser “hero”. Gonna kick Mandarin’s rings off Chi? Pathetic.

I'd ignore the troll above me. Don't engage.

Astonishing Member

Lol,i was going to say how is possible that Shang Chi with having a comic book that had more that one hundred stories issues published be called a z-lister super hero.But better ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by THORPERION View Post
    Who cares? No IRON MAN. No Mandarin. End of story. Shang Chi can bite me. It’s IM villain and I hope real IM fans boycott this movie. Marvel’s hypocrisy is the reason why. They said it was a racist caricature to make the Mandarin Asian. Now all of a sudden it’s ok? Just to give some nobody character a big villain because he has none since he’s a z-lister?! Crossing my fingers and hoping this crash and burns!

Mandarin deserves some respect! Not being foiled by a loser “hero”. Gonna kick Mandarin’s rings off Chi? Pathetic.
    I hear your concerns, bro. As an Iron Man fan myself, I know that the Mandarin is an Iron Man villain, to be sure. But, him being a potential Shang-Chi villain is there as well. Indeed, the idea formed a couple of years ago during the Secret Wars tie-in's where Zheng Zu had possessed the powers of the Ten Rings.

I'm thinking that the film (like other MCU films from before) will combine elements of the Mandarin with Zheng Zu to make something unique. It's just another interpretation of the Mandarin. Rest assured, the original still exists in the comics and could make an appearance.

As for Shang-Chi's status in the Marvel Universe, I disagree with your assessment. Here is a guy who is fully respected in the Marvel Universe. He has the respect of a number of Marvel heroes like Captain America:

Black Panther:

And Spider-Man, who was a student of Shang and learned the "Way of the Spider" from him:

These are just a few examples. Ask guys like Iron Fist, Daredevil, and Wolverine about Shang, and yeah, they'll probably give him respect as well. So, if Shang takes down the Mandarin, it wouldn't be too far off. Maybe Shang will get some help from Captain Marvel, Thor (either one), or Dr. Strange. And while the battle would be epic, I'm most interested in the father/son dynamic. That's some good drama right there.

So, Shang-Chi's pathetic? I respectfully take another point of view.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I'd ignore the troll above me. Don't engage.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Lol,i was going to say how is possible that Shang Chi with having a comic book that had more that one hundred stories issues published be called a z-lister super hero.But better ignore it.
    Ha, sorry, a bit too late. Still, I think my post is a good reminder of what makes Shang on the top of the list .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

I don't know much about Shang-Chi, but i am excited for this film

he is considered the greatest pure H2H fighter in the marvel universe right? he is a better fighter than T'challa, Steve, Wolverine etc. etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    An interesting fact concerning the Mandarin's rings, that they are extraterrestrial rather than magical in origin. I think that's cool though. I've heard how some critics don't want to see some "East Asian mysticism" with Shang-Chi. So perhaps alien rings adds some complexity there? A new angle? Maybe they'll connect to the space themes of the MCU.

Good to hear about all of these qualities, especially the humor. Reading the comics, I see that Shang has been depicted as being stoic or unemotional. He's thoughtful and observant, but doesn't say much. That's kind of sad in a way. If the writers were going after a "wise, sagacious monk" vibe, well it is a misunderstanding. A lot of the monks that I've met are down to Earth, calm, and actually pretty funny. The wisest of us can be like that.

So, yeah, a wise, sagacious Shang can be very charismatic, open, outgoing, all of that. And hopefully we'll see that in the film. Indeed, a lot of attention has to be brought to Shang. Looking at social media, I see everyone gushing about the Mandarin or Akwafina. Now, both of them are excellent parts of the Shang-Chi film, no doubt and will serve to enhance it. But the film has "Shang-Chi" in its title. He's got to get that attention and development as well.
    CM Punk did a one shot last year that I thought was pretty good. Shang was pretty easy going.

"I'm getting ready to relaunch the X-Men books at Marvel. We have a massive number of long-term plans, which starts Wednesday with House of X #1."

"In addition to that, I'm going to be doing some other stuff at Marvel but I can't talk about it."

Fan Q: Why did you want to put EAST OF WEST out in the world, and how did the concept come together?

Hickman: EoW became a thing because, #1 I wanted to write a book about America. I had written this thing about Shang-Chi that Marvel could not use at the time. It had a line of dialogue in it, and it was too damned good not to be used somewhere. It just ... one single line of dialogue became EoW.
    Would you all accept Jonathan Hickman as the new Celestial Overlord of the Si-Fan?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I hear your concerns, bro. As an Iron Man fan myself, I know that the Mandarin is an Iron Man villain, to be sure. But, him being a potential Shang-Chi villain is there as well. Indeed, the idea formed a couple of years ago during the Secret Wars tie-in's where Zheng Zu had possessed the powers of the Ten Rings.

I'm thinking that the film (like other MCU films from before) will combine elements of the Mandarin with Zheng Zu to make something unique. It's just another interpretation of the Mandarin. Rest assured, the original still exists in the comics and could make an appearance.

As for Shang-Chi's status in the Marvel Universe, I disagree with your assessment. Here is a guy who is fully respected in the Marvel Universe. He has the respect of a number of Marvel heroes like Captain America:

These are just a few examples. Ask guys like Iron Fist, Daredevil, and Wolverine about Shang, and yeah, they'll probably give him respect as well. So, if Shang takes down the Mandarin, it wouldn't be too far off. Maybe Shang will get some help from Captain Marvel, Thor (either one), or Dr. Strange. And while the battle would be epic, I'm most interested in the father/son dynamic. That's some good drama right there.

So, Shang-Chi's pathetic? I respectfully take another point of view.
    Well Iron Man can lift tens of thousands of tons, and Mandarin can do this to him without the rings:

So Shang could need to completely avoid being hit by him until his chi is completely exhausted. If he gets hit even once by a Mandarin who still has chi left, he'd be exploded into gore. That doesn't make Shang "pathetic", though, just less powerful. I wouldn't be surprised if the movies play this as power vs agility and patience. In the early parts of the movie, Mandarin takes out Shang with a casual backhand slap while holding back tremendously. By the end, Shang outlasts him by dancing around him and getting him to waste chi smashing walls and kicking cars into the air until he runs out of gas. That would be a very movieish story: Mandarin tries to train Shang to be as savage as himself, and laments that Shang doesn't measure up. In the end, Shang beats him by following the path of patience.

The Mandarin is a tiger and a mountain, a savage Man of Iron. Shang learns to be the wind and the river.

Just my theory.

Simu Liu @SimuLiu · 3h

Now that the craziness is over, the work begins.

There is so much at stake here; we are fighting for our identity, for our right to be seen, to BELONG.

Eternally grateful to Marvel, to Kevin, Jonathan and Destin for this gift.

@awkwafina LET’S GET TO WORK BABYYYYY!!!
    Last edited by Blind Wedjat; 07-21-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Hopefully they will go with the Tem Borjigin name for The Mandarin. It fits the whole "descended from Ghenghis Khan" thing best.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

The whole being descended from Genghis Khan thing is a bit silly since it isn't unique. 16 million individuals alive today are descended from Genghis Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    I don't know much about Shang-Chi, but i am excited for this film

he is considered the greatest pure H2H fighter in the marvel universe right? he is a better fighter than T'challa, Steve, Wolverine etc. etc.?
    I don't think marvel has ever really gone out of their way to establish who the best h2h fighter is. Plus, there are several skilled figthers who also have some degree of meta human abilities, which sort of muddies the question when it comes to feats.

In the least he's very very respected and likely should be considered ONE of the top fighters.