Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast
    BANNED

Marvel Team-Up #85 Sep 1979
    "The Woman Who Never Was!" Part 4 of 4. Guest-starring Spider-Man, Shang-Chi, Nick Fury and the Black Widow.
    The situation has come down to this...the Amazing Spider-Man, the Master of Kung Fu, the director of SHIELD and the Black Widow

must prevent the Viper from crashing the Heli-carrier into the U.S. Capitol Building
    or virtually all members of the U.S. government will perish!

While the president is delivering his speech to the joint session of the Congress,

the web-slinger and Nick Fury struggle to gain control of the Heli-carrier's flight control system!
    Meanwhile, the Black Widow and the Viper engage in a life-and-death battle on top of the Heli-carrier!
    Can the four heroes save the United States from anarchy?
    Or will the Viper push America towards the brink of chaos? An awesome ending!
    NOTE: This four-part story is the signature team-up of Spider-Man and the Black Widow in the annals of Marvel.

Script by Chris Claremont. Art by Sal Buscema (breakdowns) and Steve Leialoha (finishes).

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Looks like those The Matrix comparisons were right on the money:

What made you choose Bill Pope as your cinematographer? Is there something that he brings to that kind of world that you were specifically looking for?

CRETTON: Yeah. He has a really beautiful style, that’s both naturalistic and grounded, but also heightened, in the best way. And anybody who can shoot The Matrix is probably gonna do great with this one.

Is that within the kind of tone that you’re looking to bring out with the story?

CRETTON: Yeah. I think particularly for our first Asian/Asian American step into the MCU, that tone feels right.
    https://collider.com/how-destin-dani...-marvel-movie/

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Edit: Double post

Hey all. Just wanted to give the latest updates on what's been happening with the Shang-Chi movie!:

- Looking at Simu Liu's Instagram feed, I think that he's started to film in New Zealand. Pretty cool how Simu is taking in the sights there.

- Simu did a quick shout out to a Shang Chi cosplayer!

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/10...g-chi-cosplay/

Yes, hopefully the Shang-Chi uniform will accentuate Simu's assets...if you know what I'm saying, and I think you do .

- There are rumors regarding who will be some of the other characters cast in the Shang-Chi film. Turns out Tiger Claw, Razorfist, Ghostmaker, and Moving Shadow might be part of this:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/10...hostmaker-mcu/

According to rumors (again, just rumors), the premise for them meeting centers around a tournament. Interesting if the director goes for an Enter the Dragon vibe here. As for the characters themselves, well, not the most well-known characters out there, but with Shang-Chi, it's understandable. I'm thinking Tiger Claw, Razorfist, and Ghostmaker might just be some auxiliary, quick-cameo characters, a la Batroc in Winter Soldier. (If so, it would be a shame. Razorfist has the potential to be some murderous killer if given the right opportunities, But I digress). Moving Shadow is someone who might be a key player here. Moving Shadow was supposed to be the replacement of Shang, the "good son" for Shang's father. Adding him could potentially add more familial tension to this story.

Personally, I'm of the mind that Taskmaster will be revealed to be a henchmen of the Mandarin. Calling it right now, the post-credits scene for Black Widow will show Taskmaster making the phone call or bowing down to his true boss, the Mandarin. This sets up the Mandarin as being the new main Earth baddie for the MCU as well as a Shang-Chi/Taskmaster confrontation down the road.

In any case, yeah, still rooting for you Simu and the Shang-Chi movie!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

‘Shang-Chi’: Audition Tape For Steel-Claw May Reveal Plot Details

https://fullcirclecinema.com/2019/10...-plot-details/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    ‘Shang-Chi’: Audition Tape For Steel-Claw May Reveal Plot Details

https://fullcirclecinema.com/2019/10...-plot-details/
    Nice! If it's true, the idea would make for a great movie. Someone trying to leave their duty and obligations, that's always a potent theme. Being hunted by your father's army of assassins and psychopaths just makes it that much cooler !
    "I am a man of peace."

BANNED

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #5 Oct 1974
    "Two Goals to Seek/One Path to Glory!"
    In Hollywood, the son of Fu-Manchu finds danger, intrigue

and his oldest friend - a Kung Fu movie star

who must choose between Shang-Chi's death or his own!

Story by Doug Moench. Art by Keith Pollard and Bob McLeod.

BANNED

Giant-Size Spider-Man #2 Oct 1974
    "Masterstroke!" Guest-starring Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu.
    It's the master plan of Fu Manchu! Make Spider-Man and Shang-Chi believe that each other is a criminal,

and then set up a super showdown at the Con Ed Power Plant near the 59th street bridge!

Even if the web-slinger and the Master of Kung Fu survive their epic battle with one another,
    the two heroes plus Black Jack Tarr must still stop Fu Manchu at the Empire State Building!
    A terrific action issue!

Script by Len Wein. Pencils by Ross Andru. Inks by Al Milgrom.

So what do folks think. a teaser by, what, fall 2020?

as far as wardrobe goes- I'm not hung up on seeing the "classic" outfit at all, though if it were to have a cameo, fine. (but the comics-based conceit of him being barefoot for the whole adventure... come on.. let's let go of that..)

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Giant-Size Spider-Man #2 Oct 1974
    "Masterstroke!" Guest-starring Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu.
    It's the master plan of Fu Manchu! Make Spider-Man and Shang-Chi believe that each other is a criminal,

and then set up a super showdown at the Con Ed Power Plant near the 59th street bridge!

Even if the web-slinger and the Master of Kung Fu survive their epic battle with one another,
    the two heroes plus Black Jack Tarr must still stop Fu Manchu at the Empire State Building!
    A terrific action issue!

Script by Len Wein. Pencils by Ross Andru. Inks by Al Milgrom.
    One of my favorite issues mainly because of its depiction of Shang's father. Yellow Peril be damned, the guy was a brilliant and cunning strategist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    So what do folks think. a teaser by, what, fall 2020?

as far as wardrobe goes- I'm not hung up on seeing the "classic" outfit at all, though if it were to have a cameo, fine. (but the comics-based conceit of him being barefoot for the whole adventure... come on.. let's let go of that..)
    I'd estimate Fall 2020, sure. There's a buzz about the character, but not Black Panther hype here. The trailer for that film dropped a long time before the actual premiere, right? About 6 or so months? Yeah, I don't think Shang is going to get that. I'm fine with a modest trailer premiere. As I said before, I'm crossing the figures for that post-credit scene in Black Widow, where Taskmaster will be revealed to be working for the Mandarin.

As for the costume...there's got to be a change. The color scheme is fine, yellow, red, and black are great choices. However, whether its his 1970s look or modern one, neither really stands out, y'know? There's got to be a new look for the movie. If they have him in just street clothes, I'm cool with that.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    One of my favorite issues mainly because of its depiction of Shang's father. Yellow Peril be damned, the guy was a brilliant and cunning strategist.

I'd estimate Fall 2020, sure. There's a buzz about the character, but not Black Panther hype here. The trailer for that film dropped a long time before the actual premiere, right? About 6 or so months? Yeah, I don't think Shang is going to get that. I'm fine with a modest trailer premiere. As I said before, I'm crossing the figures for that post-credit scene in Black Widow, where Taskmaster will be revealed to be working for the Mandarin.

As for the costume...there's got to be a change. The color scheme is fine, yellow, red, and black are great choices. However, whether its his 1970s look or modern one, neither really stands out, y'know? There's got to be a new look for the movie. If they have him in just street clothes, I'm cool with that.

hee-hee.. Especially taking into account the general public who doesn't know Shang at all, there's certainly no image in the public's mind's eye to keep up with, compared to a Superman (S Symbol plus cape), Batman (bat symbol plus cape) or Hulk (big and green).. But almost inevitably, there's that online-vocal contingent of fan-folk who are ride-or-die for the red headband, or something..

I hope the entertainment news show actively cover the movie. it certainly can't hurt. you could argue about the deeper relevance of similar shows like Entertainment Tonight, Extra!, Access Hollywood, E! News Daily, etc., but they do play a role. Fair-minded fan culture websites, podcast personalities and bloggers can help,too. I just hope that all the people who were out to pre-bash Panther, Captain Marvel and The Last Jedi will not get the results they want..
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 10-31-2019 at 06:57 PM.

BANNED

Master of Kung Fu #21 Oct 1974
    "Season of Vengeance, Moment of Death!"
    Part 1: Season of Vengeance ...
    Demmy Marston, an underworld figure in Miami, blames Shang-Chi for his girlfriend's death and puts out a general hit order.
    Shang-Chi, having swum ashore, finds Marineland. He enters, curious about the oxymoron in its name.
    He encounters a leaping, cheerful-looking dolphin. When he hears a gunman behind him, he ducks,
    just as the dolphin leaps into the path of the bullet. Shang-Chi takes down the gunman, as well as five others.

Another team appears, too far away to fight, so he dives into another tank.

Part 2: Moment of Death!
    This tank holds a shark! Shang-Chi punches it a few times and knocks it out, then has to surface for air.

A gunman punches him and knocks him out. He wakes on an island in the Florida Keys, tied to a tree, at the mercy of Marston.
    Marston beats Shang-Chi with a tree limb. Only gradually does he realize that a team of Si-Fan assassins has come ashore
    and surrounded his own team of assassins. A helicopter lands, and Fu Manchu emerges. He wants to savor
    Shang-Chi's death in his own way and on his own schedule. He holds out a viper that bites Marston's throat and kills him.

Shang-Chi, freed from his bonds, collapses on the sand.

Script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Ron Wilson, inks by Al Milgrom.

Hey all. Just wanted to update on a couple of Shang-Chi movie tidbits:

- Some websites are giving out casting news. Turns out the movie has been looking for young, child actors of Chinese descent who speak Mandarin:
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...-of-film.html/

What could this mean? Maybe these are potential students in The Mandarin's/Zheng Zu's hidden compound? Maybe different versions of kid Shang-Chi who will be used in an opening montage? Pretty cool that they are going all Chinese with this.

- Awkafina gave a nice little soundbite on director Daniel Crettin's vision for Shang-Chi:

"I mean, the process is, is that for both I met with both [Jumanji: The Next Level director] Jake Kasdan and [Shang-Chi director] Destin [Daniel Crettin], who was doing Shang-Chi," Awkwafina said. "And I really, I can tell from both of them that they have extremely passionate and clear visions for the stories they want to tell and I think that's really important for me to come on to a project."
    Cool. A clear vision of what the movie is. I'm interested to see what that vision is by the way. For a long time, there hasn't been a clear vision of what Shang is. We're getting glimpses of it in Agents of Atlas, but still nothing definite. Hopefully it will be a good vision. Personally, I hope it follows that father/son dynamic. Again, you have a father who controls immense power and has done so for probably centuries. Yet he can't control his own son. Conversely, you have a son who is excellent in the martial arts and in other regards. Yet, he is still a disappointment to his father. He tries to run away from his past, but ultimately finds out he has to confront him. Gonna be honest, I'm tearing up a little at that possibility. Again, it's just a possibility. Gotta be prepared, maybe it isn't that at all.

In any case, I'm looking forward to this movie.
    "I am a man of peace."

Pretty fascinating article about Simu Liu featured over at SCMP.com:
    https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-...ls-first-asian

Covers the basics of what we've known about Simu for a while now. His background from China, his desire to have better Asian representation in Western media, and his charisma. A little concerned that before the movie he had zero martial arts experience, but he's working with Brad Allan, who was part of Jackie Chan's stunt team (had some of the best fights in "Gorgeous." Seriously, check it out).

Simu describes how he feels about the movie:

“From the beginning, Simu has been an active voice for our community, unapologetic of his Asian background and mission to help bring us forward,” says Wang. “I know he’ll represent us well and also use this opportunity to be a driving force and inspiration for all of us. He already has been.” There are a lot of expectations riding on this film and its star is feeling the pressure.

“To take a quote from Stan Lee, the legend himself, ‘With great power there must also come great responsibility’. But I think the reason I have the platform I do is because I’ve leaned into my Asianness. If you are going to ask an entire population to support you, to rally behind you and give you a platform, I won’t shy away from that responsi*bility. I feel like we’ve been shying away from it as people for too long, especially the children of immigrants who are taught to keep their heads down. We have reached the limit of that philosophy.”

Heady topics perhaps for a superhero film?

“Well,” says Liu, as self-assured as a superhero should be, “I really think this movie could change the world.”
    Simu is gutsy, which, well, for Asians is necessary. Keeping your head down and not questioning the system, that's worked to a degree. But now it's time to move forward. I get that. But will Shang-Chi change the world? Woah, Simu, let's not jinx the movie just yet. The potential is there, but baby steps bro, one step at a time.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I dunno, I could see a long build-up like with Panther. Because Shang's not a known name, because he's going in "cold" to his first film without a "Civil War" like introduction, and because of the larger social context, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel pushed harder than usual. The budget's likely lower than the norm, so they could have more money to stretch out the marketing, and might want maximum saturation by the release date. Won't be surprised if they treat it like any other film either, it's Marvel and I don't think they really have to try that hard anymore, but I wouldn't rule out a early push.

And if there's some kind of teaser for Shang in Black Widow, I think the odds of a summer trailer increase a lot.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.