Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
Killmonger overall was a FAR better character in the film than he was in the comics, as were Nakia and Okoye as well.

Heck even Sir Ben Kingsley's Mandarin was pretty cool up until the dumb twist. So it's simple I think, make Mandarin a villain who happens to be Chinese, instead of a "Chinese villain." Heck maybe throw in a couple of other heroic Chinese characters if you're worried about China's reaction, etc.
Interesting. Yeah, Chinese audiences are concerned about the Yellow Peril thing. Personally, I think it's a small fraction, but a friend of mine from China was telling me about some of the comments left by Chinese netizens. There are disgruntled feelings over Fu Manchu depictions. Also, that whole father vs. son dynamic, that unsettles some Chinese. A son fighting a father? We might think that makes for good Shakespearean drama, but it may not sit well with Chinese who feel filial piety is super important. (On a side note, there's a lot of buzz with the Mulan remake. Many are excited, though there's still a few who feel that the cultural details are a little off. Mulan was set in the north, so why is there southern architecture in the trailers? In any case I digress).

Like I said before and has been pointed out, Marvel is definitely going to update these characters, and make them more culturally sensitive. The trick is, it can't be just in appearances. Rather, Marvel has to handle that father/son dynamic carefully. Like I said previously, the Mandarin has to be depicted as a sympathetic figure. Yeah, he's a world conqueror, but everything he has done, the power, the wealth, all of that, was for his son. That caring attitude has to be there. In the same way, if Shang rejects the Mandarin, he has to show regret. He has to show that it hurts him that he's going against his father's wishes, since at the end of the day, he wants to have that loving relationship with his father. If Marvel plays it that way, they can get the father/son dynamic, and appeal to all (Chinese, non-Chinese, Asian, non-Asian) audiences.