Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I don't think Marvel is confirmed for SDCC but I do think they made announcement to be at D23. Pretty sure Feige has said Phase 4 announcements will come in August.

Ludi Lin seems like the best get right now so hopefully he would be the one getting the role.

I was hoping to see Lewis Tan up for the role, but I suppose Lin could be a good choice too.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

I love Lin for the role. He’s got super star written all over him

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Has Henry Golding been approached?
    I don't really see Golding as Shang Chi but I could see him as a MI6, CIA or Shield agent. Golding would of made a good Jimmy Woo but the roles was taken by Randall Park. I suppose they could race swap CIA agent and Shang Chi ally Rufus Carter.

Golding could also play Shen Kuei aka the Cat. A Hong Kong based secret agent/mercenary who is a rival/enemy of Shang Chi.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I don't really see Golding as Shang Chi but I could see him as a MI6, CIA or Shield agent. Golding would of made a good Jimmy Woo but the roles was taken by Randall Park. I suppose they could race swap CIA agent and Shang Chi ally Rufus Carter.

Golding could also play Shen Kuei aka the Cat. A Hong Kong based secret agent/mercenary who is a rival/enemy of Shang Chi.
    Golding just screams James Bond to me. I don't buy him as a martial artist at all. MI6 agent definitely works.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I can see Lewis Tan playing Cat actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I don't think Marvel is confirmed for SDCC but I do think they made announcement to be at D23. Pretty sure Feige has said Phase 4 announcements will come in August.

Ludi Lin seems like the best get right now so hopefully he would be the one getting the role.
    Marvel Studios banners are apparently popping up around San Diego. I think if the deal goes through fast enough, they may announce Lin or whoever ends up playing Shang in Hall H.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Marvel Studios banners are apparently popping up around San Diego.
    Yknow, I just want to take a second and appreciate this post.

When I was a kid, you got made fun of for reading comics (well, I didnt but most people did). No one with any intentions of being cool admitted to reading them.

Today, Marvel is putting banners up around one of the biggest cities on the West Coast what, two months early? to announce their arrival. And they'll be met with masses of fans, from kids to grandparents, who absolutely *adore* the MCU.

Truly, the geeks have inherited the earth.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Golding just screams James Bond to me. I don't buy him as a martial artist at all. MI6 agent definitely works.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I can see Lewis Tan playing Cat actually.
    Could see that as well! Would make a great Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yknow, I just want to take a second and appreciate this post.

When I was a kid, you got made fun of for reading comics (well, I didnt but most people did). No one with any intentions of being cool admitted to reading them.

Today, Marvel is putting banners up around one of the biggest cities on the West Coast what, two months early? to announce their arrival. And they'll be met with masses of fans, from kids to grandparents, who absolutely *adore* the MCU.

Truly, the geeks have inherited the earth.
    Ha, yes, blows my mind that comics have become mainstream. Seriously, 20 yrs. ago, who would have thought that the Avengers would have become this famous, global, multi-billion dollar brand?

And bringing it back, here's hoping Shang-Chi gets to be a part of it. You're right, flags have already started to be put up near the SDCC convention center touting Avengers. Looks like Marvel Studios will be making some big announcements in Hall H this July:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06...ego-comic-con/

Keep advancing and rising that spirit, Shang
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Tien Long, Ludi Lin is friggin Shang Chi in human form! What the hell? I'm actually surprised. Never seen an interview of him but he's very calm, well spoken, intelligent, surprising philosophical, and very humble. There's a lot he's talked about here that reminds me of the discussions we've had for the passed few pages, and there's something he says in particular that sounds a lot like advancing and rising the spirit.

I really hope some of the views and ideas about martial arts Ludi Lin has come out in this movie (especially if he gets the part). I really like what he said about how he got into it, seeing the art and expression behind the fighting, and martial arts shouldn't be something Asians are ashamed of despite being a stereotype.

He honestly reminds me of a young Bruce Lee in the best way

The interview was inspirational too.

Ludin Lin all the way. he'd be the easiest fit personality-wise into the already established mcu imo. but who's the foil? who to play Black Jack Tarr or that other british intelligence dude? is the Cat going to be in this?

BANNED

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #2 Jun 1974
    "Shang Chi, the Master of Kung Fu!"
    A young woman's panicked scream splits the night,

and Shang Chi hurries to her aid-

only to discover that things are rarely what they seem.

Story by Steve Englehart. Art by Alan Weiss and Al Milgrom.

The interview was inspirational too.
    Thanks for the clip. I'll be honest, when I first started watching, Ludi seemed a little pretentious. HOWEVER, I definitely warmed up throughout the clip to where I was laughing out loud to a lot of his comments (very honest about farting ) and very proud how he talked about Asians embracing martial arts and Bruce Lee. His philosophy about sucking and improving was spot on. That's the mindset that's necessary to be Shang-Chi. So, let me be the first to apologize and say I was wrong. This guy has it to be the next Master of Kung Fu.

Saw some clips of him from the recent Black Mirror episode as well. Almost like an MCU mini-reunion, with Anthony Mackie and Pom Klementieff. And perhaps an MCU peek into the future, with Ludi Lin starring right next to them .
    Last edited by Tien Long; 06-19-2019 at 06:55 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Ha, yes, blows my mind that comics have become mainstream. Seriously, 20 yrs. ago, who would have thought that the Avengers would have become this famous, global, multi-billion dollar brand?
    I mean, if you went back 20 years and told me that....I'd maybe have believed it.....maybe. I mean, the Avengers were solid B-list back then but the lesser properties (like Blade) had already seen an adaptation or two. Maybe, possibly, I'd believe that somehow a B-list property got a film and something about it struck a chord with people. Happy accidents happen, it's statistically possible.

But if you had told me that the Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were going to be major players in the biggest winning streak in Hollywood history I'd have asked you who the Guardians were and laughed at you.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Thanks for the clip. I'll be honest, when I first started watching, Ludi seemed a little pretentious. HOWEVER, I definitely warmed up throughout the clip to where I was laughing out loud to a lot of his comments (very honest about farting ) and very proud how he talked about Asians embracing martial arts and Bruce Lee. His philosophy about sucking and improving was spot on. That's the mindset that's necessary to be Shang-Chi. So, let me be the first to apologize and say I was wrong. This guy has it to be the next Master of Kung Fu.

Saw some clips of him from the recent Black Mirror episode as well. Almost like an MCU mini-reunion, with Anthony Mackie and Pom Klementieff. And perhaps an MCU peek into the future, with Ludi Lin starring right next to them .
    I get what you mean. Part of it was because I wasn't expecting his personality to be like that all just based on things like his Twitter and Instagram and the characters he played in Black Mirror and Power Rangers. But as the interview went on you could tell he was very genuine. To hear him say he sucks at acting and wants to improve was very surprising (everything I've seen points to that he's decent right now and could potentially shine with great direction and material). But this interview and other quick ones I watched really do seem to show off his personality and he feels honest, humble and the way he approaches martial arts and Asian representation feels like strong things he can bring to the role. Hoping he gets it.