Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Marvel Studios Looking To Cast Female Chinese-American Secret Agent For Upcoming Feature Film (EXCLUSIVE)

https://discussingfilm.net/2019/08/1...ilm-exclusive/
    i wonder if any other asian heroes will cameo. might be the time to world build. a Collective Man cameo would be tight as hell (although i understand now that he's considered to be problematic).

There are a new video, a counter video from Australia to the "ugly Simu Liu":

Except the eventual cultural difference, that show too the way you present the question play a large role to the answers, the asian boss video imply that there are maybe something wrong about Simu.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    With all the **** going on atm regarding Tarantino and Bruce Lee I hope the movie throws some refferences in to Bruce Lee in a positive manner
    agree 100%, I would love to have some easter eggs or reference to Bruce and Brandon, I really find shameful what tarantino have done.

@Michael Watkins, thanks for your reply about Carpenter, okay I understand that, but where is the limit ? imho that not very clear, also why some director or movies seem to be "bulletproof" about the racism despite to have done far worse (Tarantino for example) ? 1 month after Shang Chi, there will be Mortal Kombat, but there are no "scrutiny" about the casting, if the game is racist or not (they have taken most of the inspiration from Big Trouble in little China); yes okay Fu Manchu, Mandarin etc...but except their names, I don't really don't see the problem about these characters or their stories.

For Mortal Kombat, I ask that to everybody, do you think that will influence, or play a role about Marvel plan ? MK will be rated R, seem to be free to every accusation and seem to want to be very accurate to the source material, in the other hand Marvel seem already to see Shang Chi like something that need to be changed.
    Last edited by Bolo; 08-20-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    There are a new video, a counter video from Australia to the "ugly Simu Liu":

Except the eventual cultural difference, that show too the way you present the question play a large role to the answers, the asian boss video imply that there are maybe something wrong about Simu.

agree 100%, I would love to have some easter eggs or reference to Bruce and Brandon, I really find shameful what tarantino have done.

@Michael Watkins, thanks for your reply about Carpenter, okay I understand that, but where is the limit ? imho that not very clear, also why some director or movies seem to be "bulletproof" about the racism despite to have done far worse (Tarantino for example) ? 1 month after Shang Chi, there will be Mortal Kombat, but there are no "scrutiny" about the casting, if the game is racist or not (they have taken most of the inspiration from Big Trouble in little China); yes okay Fu Manchu, Mandarin etc...but except their names, I don't really don't see the problem about these characters or their stories.
    Tarantino has taken criticism over his use of racial slurs and some of the depictions of asian people. i can't say why the geek community gives him a pass other than that his movies can be entertaining. everything in Mortal Kombat is so exaggerated that i'm not sure that you can really criticize for anything besides the violent content. Shao Kahn looks asian (and draws from asian tropes). but isn't he from another dimension or something? he was played by a white guy in the old movies. Shang Tsung on the other hand is very much in the Mandarin mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    For Mortal Kombat, I ask that to everybody, do you think that will influence, or play a role about Marvel plan ? MK will be rated R, seem to be free to every accusation and seem to want to be very accurate to the source material, in the other hand Marvel seem already to see Shang Chi like something that need to be changed.
    I don't think it would change Marvel's plans with Shang-Chi. Actually, I think that it would help Shang-Chi. Indeed, Shang-Chi, Mortal Kombat, and the forthcoming Snake-Eyes spin-off have that stamp of fame and franchise (Shang-Chi isn't famous, but part of the MCU. Mortal Kombat and G.I. Joe are really famous). These properties will all have prominent Asian males in leading roles. Shang-Chi is just going to be riding the momentum of trend. All these movies will certainly elevate both the character and the actor.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Tarantino has taken criticism over his use of racial slurs and some of the depictions of asian people. i can't say why the geek community gives him a pass other than that his movies can be entertaining. everything in Mortal Kombat is so exaggerated that i'm not sure that you can really criticize for anything besides the violent content. Shao Kahn looks asian (and draws from asian tropes). but isn't he from another dimension or something? he was played by a white guy in the old movies. Shang Tsung on the other hand is very much in the Mandarin mold.
    Okay for Tarantino, but that nothing in comparaison about the critics for Shang Chi, for Mortal Kombat that true that the game have became more and more fantastic, but it was not really the case for the first game, my point is, I'm little scared because each times someone talk about Shang Chi it's about a negative aspect, or what we can't change to avoid some stereotype who exist in lot of others movies, including the HK movies, I'm scared that the end product will have a little relation to the comicbook, that don't have worked for Iron Fist netflix, that will not work for Shang Chi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I don't think it would change Marvel's plans with Shang-Chi. Actually, I think that it would help Shang-Chi. Indeed, Shang-Chi, Mortal Kombat, and the forthcoming Snake-Eyes spin-off have that stamp of fame and franchise (Shang-Chi isn't famous, but part of the MCU. Mortal Kombat and G.I. Joe are really famous). These properties will all have prominent Asian males in leading roles. Shang-Chi is just going to be riding the momentum of trend. All these movies will certainly elevate both the character and the actor.
    I really hope, but I find that strange to have MK just 1 month after Shang Chi, this kind of movie, martial arts with fantastic elements, is something really news for a large audience, so I hope that not will play an influence to change the character and his history.

BANNED

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #3 Aug 1974
    "Web of Bleeding Vipers"
    Shang-Chi tries to help a girl, Linda Fong, who is being chased by thugs.

Linda had escaped from the Adder, the man behind the drug trade in Chinatown and Harlem.

Shang-Chi frees Linda

and battles the Adder's assassins.

Story by Doug Moench. Art by Paul Gulacy and Al Milgrom.

BANNED

Marvel Team-Up #84 Aug 1979
    "Catch A Falling Hero" Part 3 of 4. Guest-starring Spider-Man, Shang-Chi, Nick Fury and the Black Widow.
    Finally, the Viper stands revealed as the mastermind behind the plot to destroy the Black Widow!
    But the anarchist has her eyes set on a bigger target after commandeering the giant SHIELD Heli-carrier!
    Meanwhile, Nick Fury recruits the Master of Kung Fu to help him stop the Viper's evil plans.
    And as the massive airship drifts towards the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington D.C.;
    Spider-Man, the Black Widow, Nick Fury and Shang-Chi launch their airborne assault on the Heli-carrier!

But be careful...Boomerang, the Viper and the Silver Samurai are waiting inside!

Script by Chris Claremont. Art by Sal Buscema (breakdowns) and Steve Leialoha (finishes).

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

New interview with Destin Daniel Cretton for Observer:

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Daniel Cretton
    “It’s really exciting to me to be able to fill a movie like that with a bunch of Asian faces and be able to see of sides of these character than what we have seen before,” director Destin Daniel Cretton, whose latest film Just Mercy recently premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival, told Observer. “Growing up, I didn’t have a super hero that looked like me and it’s really exciting to give a new generation something I did not have. I couldn’t be more excited.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin Daniel Cretton
    “I think [Leung] brings a humanity that we need for that character,” the director explained. “We are not looking to contribute anymore to the Asian stereotypes that we have seen both in cinema and pop culture. We’re hoping to just show some different sides to both Asian-Americans and Chinese-Americans and Mainland Chinese characters. Tommy is such an incredible actor and I’m excited to have him help us break some of those stereotypes because that villain could easily become a punchline.”
    https://observer.com/2019/09/marvel-...iff-interview/

Good stuff

BANNED

What Should Be...in Shang Chi - Phase 4 MCU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQb6LjGt-Y

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    New interview with Destin Daniel Cretton for Observer:

https://observer.com/2019/09/marvel-...iff-interview/

Good stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    What Should Be...in Shang Chi - Phase 4 MCU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQb6LjGt-Y
    Hey all. Thanks for keeping up the Shang-Chi flag flying. Just been real busy at work as of late. Still been keeping up with Shang-Chi stuff online though. I really hope that Tony Leung brings that humanity to the Mandarin. Latest reminder that Simu Liu has put out the possibility of Shang and Spider-Man crossing over in the MCU.

In terms of the comics, I've liked Shang Chi's recent appearance in Sword Master #3. There's a scene where Sword Master is freaking out and Shang just reminds him to breathe and calm down. Really liked that scene. As someone who has been doing meditation recently, sometimes quieting the mind for just a moment sets things in focus.

In any case, keeping the fingers crossed that Shang will take a prominent place in the MCU.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Shang Chi in Bizarre Adventures #1.

https://www.cbr.com/bizarre-adventures-1/

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

According IMDB, the stunt coordinators are Brad Allan and Nicky Li (Chung Chi Li), both are part of the Jackie Chan team( Nicky was the second leader after Jackie since the late 80's), Brad have already worked in other comicbook movies like Kickass, Scott Pilgrim, Hellboy 2, Ant-man and the Kingsmen movies; for the USA, they have already worked together in two very fun music video for RZA ("Tragedy") and Wu-tang Clan:

BANNED

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #4 Sep 1974
    "Circle of Serpent's Blood!"
    Shang-Chi goes west-

-to pit his Martial Arts might against Doctor Fu Manchu's most fearsome Si-Fan assassin!

Story by Doug Moench. Art by Mike Vosburg and Al Milgrom.

BANNED

Master of Kung Fu #20 Sep 1974
    "Weapon of the Soul!"
    Three men in wetsuits attack Shang-Chi on a Florida beach.

After he defeats them, he learns that Demmy Marston of Miami sent them.
    When Marston gets the news that his assassins have failed, he tells his assistant Bufford Jones to call Korain.
    Marston's girlfriend, Diana, asks one question too many, so he slaps her.
    Jones goes to visit Korain at his villa and finds that he is a samurai.

Script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Paul Gulacy, inks by Al Milgrom.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Hopefully if Shang's father is involved, he is the real Mandarin. It would be a nice twist and a way to link Shang to the history of the earlier Phases in the MCU.
    Right on the money Hypestyle