Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Ha, well **** indeed!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I mean, we all basically knew this was happening, but it's so great to have it confirmed. Was hoping it'd be next year, but 2021 isn't all *that* far away.......

Not really familiar with any of the actors they've cast, but Marvel has rarely, if ever, given me a reason to regret their casting choices.

I guess they didnt confirm it but I very much suspect we'll get a fusion of comic book Zheng and Mandarin here; Zheng's personality and Mandarin's organization.....maybe the magic rings too. And if that happens, I'm fine with it. The Ten Rings have been around as long as the MCU but we know next to nothing about it; easy enough to make it work with Shang's mythology and history.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

How good is that? Always follow your dreams everyone

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I mean, we all basically knew this was happening, but it's so great to have it confirmed. Was hoping it'd be next year, but 2021 isn't all *that* far away.......

Not really familiar with any of the actors they've cast, but Marvel has rarely, if ever, given me a reason to regret their casting choices.

I guess they didnt confirm it but I very much suspect we'll get a fusion of comic book Zheng and Mandarin here; Zheng's personality and Mandarin's organization.....maybe the magic rings too. And if that happens, I'm fine with it. The Ten Rings have been around as long as the MCU but we know next to nothing about it; easy enough to make it work with Shang's mythology and history.
    Mandarin's rings aren't magic though, they are alien tech.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I’ve got to ask, what has Simu Liu been in or what has he been known for. Unfortunately this is the first I’m hearing of him. I wish him luck as the universes new hero and potentially awesome master of kung fu.
    Yeah his main claim to fame is definitely Kim's Convenience, an awesome little Canadian sit-com now available on Netflix US. He is ethnically Chinese, though he plays Korean on that show, practices martial arts and has the Marvel actor skills: He's in great shape, non-model good looking, funny and a decent actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Yeah his main claim to fame is definitely Kim's Convenience, an awesome little Canadian sit-com now available on Netflix US. He is ethnically Chinese, though he plays Korean on that show, practices martial arts and has the Marvel actor skills: He's in great shape, non-model good looking, funny and a decent actor.
    I only seen maybe 2 or 3 episodes so I don't remember him on it, but on stage I found him to be funny and charismatic, which fits the MCU to a T. He already has a great body too so... New crush?

BANNED

He’s a funny guy and looks the part

Really looking forward to this, use to love Kung fu movies in the 80s and hope this is set in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Don’t you just love it when tweets predict the future?
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    Mandarin's rings aren't magic though, they are alien tech.
    An interesting fact concerning the Mandarin's rings, that they are extraterrestrial rather than magical in origin. I think that's cool though. I've heard how some critics don't want to see some "East Asian mysticism" with Shang-Chi. So perhaps alien rings adds some complexity there? A new angle? Maybe they'll connect to the space themes of the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Good to hear about all of these qualities, especially the humor. Reading the comics, I see that Shang has been depicted as being stoic or unemotional. He's thoughtful and observant, but doesn't say much. That's kind of sad in a way. If the writers were going after a "wise, sagacious monk" vibe, well it is a misunderstanding. A lot of the monks that I've met are down to Earth, calm, and actually pretty funny. The wisest of us can be like that.

So, yeah, a wise, sagacious Shang can be very charismatic, open, outgoing, all of that. And hopefully we'll see that in the film. Indeed, a lot of attention has to be brought to Shang. Looking at social media, I see everyone gushing about the Mandarin or Akwafina. Now, both of them are excellent parts of the Shang-Chi film, no doubt and will serve to enhance it. But the film has "Shang-Chi" in its title. He's got to get that attention and development as well.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I hope we get that fusion of Zheng Zu and the Mandarin as well. Zheng's cunning and resources with the Mandarin's power. Indeed, I really like how they're using the Mandarin and the Ten Rings here. You're right, the Ten Rings have been around since Iron Man, but shadowy and not well known (which is EXACTLY how Shang's father would want it by the way). Maybe Mandarin's organization becomes the new Hydra in the MCU? We'll see!
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I hope we get that fusion of Zheng Zu and the Mandarin as well. Zheng's cunning and resources with the Mandarin's power. Indeed, I really like how they're using the Mandarin and the Ten Rings here.
    See? Called it.

You're right, the Ten Rings have been around since Iron Man, but shadowy and not well known (which is EXACTLY how Shang's father would want it by the way). Maybe Mandarin's organization becomes the new Hydra in the MCU? We'll see!
    I am really hoping so.

I like that this is tying Shang into MCU history. Perhaps we'll get to see some flashbacks showing what Shang was doing during things like Iron Man 3. It's stealing from Tony, but Tony's gone and while we never got the Iron Man-Mandarin showdown we wanted to see, this is a great way to use the villain going forward, and the fact that the Ten Rings have been around since the start lend some authenticity to Shang's mythos, I think.

Also, thanks folks for the reminder that Mandarin's rings are tech, not magic. I knew that once upon a time but obviously forgot all about it. Silly Ascended!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Wooo boy, SDCC sure was wild!

Okay, time to break down some thoughts:

First, absolutely love the title and logo! Reminds me a bit of an old school kung fu flick, but it also has that comic book-y feel. I love it.

Second, Simu Liu casting? Starting to look more and more perfect in my eyes after reading about him. I've never seen him in anything, but from what people are telling me he's got range, can be dramatic and is charismatic as hell. He's also pretty funny and wears his heart on his sleeve. Plus he's got the look and has MA experience

What really draws me in is his story. I'd suggest you guys read this letter he wrote to his parents. It's quite beautiful and very relatable. He's been pretty open about the rocky relationship he had with his parents. That is pure inspiration for Shang-Chi right there. I have no idea what kind of film Daniel Destin Cretton is making (his filmography so far consists of emotional indie dramas) but there's a chance this could have a strong emotional core with the choice of actor and director they've got here. And I love the outpouring of support he's getting (especially from Ludi Lin). That's awesome.

Tony Leung Chiu-wai as The Mandarin? Hell yes! Akwafina? I don't know. Admittedly, I am apprehensive because I'm not a fan of her personality or persona, but I hear she's a very good actress, getting a lot of praise for her new movie The Farewell (apparent Oscar buzz). Hopefully she's playing a more serious character and not some kind of caricature. Funny, Leung to me looks like a older version of Ludi Lin and also played Ip Man as Donnie Yen did, so I wonder if that's why those two were considered. Kinda glad Donnie didn't get this part though. Great martial artist, but I don't find him to be a good actor. Tony Leung has received a lot more praise in this regard and also has MA experience.

All in all, this is great stuff! Marvel has this way of going in the direction you didn't expect but always making it (feel like it's) the right one. Now we can really start talking about this Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings!

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Astonishing Member

Marvel Phase Four seems generally great.But the Shang Chi movie is the movie i am looking forward to watch the most.
    Mandarin being the villain is awesome,i think a MCU movie of Shang Chi packed with Kung Fu scenes against the Mandarin makes this easily a must see movie to me.