Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Hey all. Shang-Chi apparently now has Kym Barrett as costume designer, who has worked on films such as Aquaman, Amazing Spider-Man, and The Matrix Trilogy.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/07...aman-mcu-dceu/

Apparently, this, as well as other members of the film's post production, suggest that this is going to be some pretty big film. Hopefully, we'll get more at SDCC!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

New update:

https://mobile.twitter.com/krolljvar...32260584079360

Ludi Lin (and Ross Butler) may be out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    New update:

https://mobile.twitter.com/krolljvar...32260584079360

Ludi Lin (and Ross Butler) may be out.
    Read this last night. Something like this, I take with a grain of salt. "Mid-20s, Chinese-American" could refer to other possible roles in the Shang-Chi movie. Maybe a fellow student of Shang. Maybe a rival. Plus, Ludi Lin being in the early 30s may not exclude him. While somewhat stereotypical, there's some truth in the notion that Asians can look pretty young, even into their 30s or 40s. I was mistaken for a 20-something a couple of days ago!

Still, if the movie goes that way, it really is cutting it close. SDCC and Marvel's Hall H presentation is just around the corner. This is when the company presents the newest slate of movies plus cast. Hope they can find someone (again who has the look, charisma, and skill) to play Shang.
    "I am a man of peace."

Man, I am so excited for Hall H this year. I really hope they release their next five (ish) year plan. I loved knowing what MCU films were on their way years ahead of time, and trying to guess how they might try to adapt and fit those IP's into the film universe. And phase 4 is such a clean slate they could do virtually anything........
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well Justin Kroll did pretty much say it was for Shang-Chi, and DanielRPK on Twitter (who is very reliable on insider scoops) confirmed it is for Shang as well. The report that said Ludi Lin and Ross Butler were being considered was stated to be an exclusive, so it might not be right to completely rule them out yet. I guess we'll see. Feels close so I'm getting slightly impatient lol.

Anyway, here's two other things I forgot to talk about:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ronnychie...58051841052674

We've talked about the name thing before, but I never thought of an alternative (obviously because I don't how to speak Mandarin/Cantonese or write in pinyin). Shen Qi (神奇) meaning 'miraculous' feels like a good match though I'm not too sure how it's pronounced? Ronny Chieng seems to suggest it might be a similar pronunciation. Either way I do hope Marvel considers this.

Another thing I thought of is, to make the film feel a bit more structurally different, I think it would be a good idea if the film instead starts with Shang already finding out his dad is evil (if they're going that route). Marvel has an abundance of "dad is not what you think/thought he was" character arcs in their movies, especially when you consider recent films like Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther. I think if we have the film starting with a young Shang who has just recently found out the truth about his father, has broken away from him and therefore is having a bit of an existential crisis you could have a different film, and you can fill in some of the blanks with flashbacks.

Third, another actor I've added to my list is Yoson An (if Ludi Lin doesn't work out). He's gonna be in the new Mulan movie which should raise his profile a bit but he's the very definition of unknown (at least to American audiences). I have no idea how good of an actor he is yet but he's 27 and is also apparently a martial artist. He holds a black belt in karate, and is also strong in kickboxing and ninjutsu so even though he might not look it, he's pretty badass.

Ultimate Member

I'm curious to see if Leiko Wu ends up appearing in the film as well?

Well Justin Kroll did pretty much say it was for Shang-Chi, and DanielRPK on Twitter (who is very reliable on insider scoops) confirmed it is for Shang as well. The report that said Ludi Lin and Ross Butler were being considered was stated to be an exclusive, so it might not be right to completely rule them out yet. I guess we'll see. Feels close so I'm getting slightly impatient lol.

Anyway, here's two other things I forgot to talk about:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ronnychie...58051841052674

We've talked about the name thing before, but I never thought of an alternative (obviously because I don't how to speak Mandarin/Cantonese or write in pinyin). Shen Qi (神奇) meaning 'miraculous' feels like a good match though I'm not too sure how it's pronounced? Ronny Chieng seems to suggest it might be a similar pronunciation. Either way I do hope Marvel considers this.
    To those unfamiliar with Mandarin, "Shen Qi" and "Shang Chi" almost sound alike. I think if someone said it fast enough, they could get away with it. Still, for a Chinese speaking audience, there are some different sounds. "Chi" is an older spelling of "Qi." The meanings are the same too since they are the same character (and just to confuse people even further, "chi" is still used as a form of spelling in the modern day. However it's pronounced like the "chur" sound in "churn.") "Shang" and "Shen" are not the same though and there is a difference.

Another thing I thought of is, to make the film feel a bit more structurally different, I think it would be a good idea if the film instead starts with Shang already finding out his dad is evil (if they're going that route). Marvel has an abundance of "dad is not what you think/thought he was" character arcs in their movies, especially when you consider recent films like Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther. I think if we have the film starting with a young Shang who has just recently found out the truth about his father, has broken away from him and therefore is having a bit of an existential crisis you could have a different film, and you can fill in some of the blanks with flashbacks.
    I think that's a good idea. Just open the movie with the betrayal in the beginning and focus the rest of it on Shang coming to grips with this relevation and opposing his father. Flashbacks work too.

Third, another actor I've added to my list is Yoson An (if Ludi Lin doesn't work out). He's gonna be in the new Mulan movie which should raise his profile a bit but he's the very definition of unknown (at least to American audiences). I have no idea how good of an actor he is yet but he's 27 and is also apparently a martial artist. He holds a black belt in karate, and is also strong in kickboxing and ninjutsu so even though he might not look it, he's pretty badass.

Dude looks good! I approve!

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'm curious to see if Leiko Wu ends up appearing in the film as well?
    Here's hoping. Indeed, a lot of people don't realize just how progressive and deep the Shang-Chi universe is. Just a quick look on Shang's Wikipedia entry is the extent of research for some YouTube responses. Interesting facets, like Leiko, get overlooked. My only hope is that she does play an active role in the series. I was a little wary of the criticism that Leiko was a "damsel in distress." Now, she is a strong female character. But after reading some of the back issues, I've noticed that yeah she seems to get captured, kidnapped, or the target of bad guys a little bit too much.
    "I am a man of peace."

Oh yeah I like Yonson! He was in a detective series here with Rachel Griffiths. He’s very charismatic

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    To those unfamiliar with Mandarin, "Shen Qi" and "Shang Chi" almost sound alike. I think if someone said it fast enough, they could get away with it. Still, for a Chinese speaking audience, there are some different sounds. "Chi" is an older spelling of "Qi." The meanings are the same too since they are the same character (and just to confuse people even further, "chi" is still used as a form of spelling in the modern day. However it's pronounced like the "chur" sound in "churn.") "Shang" and "Shen" are not the same though and there is a difference.
    Thanks for clarifying that. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) they'll tackle this issue while staying as true to the character as possible.

I think that's a good idea. Just open the movie with the betrayal in the beginning and focus the rest of it on Shang coming to grips with this revelation and opposing his father. Flashbacks work too.
    I was thinking more along the lines of seeing the revelation later in a flashback, or maybe even a series of flashbacks that showed Shang Chi was an unaware accessory to his father's crimes and the film is about Shang wrestling with the idea of no longer knowing what his life is. Something like that.

Here's hoping. Indeed, a lot of people don't realize just how progressive and deep the Shang-Chi universe is. Just a quick look on Shang's Wikipedia entry is the extent of research for some YouTube responses. Interesting facets, like Leiko, get overlooked. My only hope is that she does play an active role in the series. I was a little wary of the criticism that Leiko was a "damsel in distress." Now, she is a strong female character. But after reading some of the back issues, I've noticed that yeah she seems to get captured, kidnapped, or the target of bad guys a little bit too much.
    To Marvel's credit, they have been treating their female characters quite well even before the focus on that became a thing recently (with a few exceptions). Knowing what we know today, I have no doubt if the involve Leiko in the script somehow, she'll be treated with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Oh yeah I like Yonson! He was in a detective series here with Rachel Griffiths. He’s very charismatic
    Charismatic is good. Maybe I'll check out one or two episodes to get an idea. I believe you're talking about Dead Lucky.

Another update: Cinematographer Bill Pope (‘Spider-Man 2’, ‘The Matrix’) has joined the film.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...51210430959616

That's two people now from The Matrix. I wonder if that rumour about Shang Chi being inspired by the film might have some truth to it. Either way this is a win.

Thanks for clarifying that. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) they'll tackle this issue while staying as true to the character as possible.
    No problem!

I was thinking more along the lines of seeing the revelation later in a flashback, or maybe even a series of flashbacks that showed Shang Chi was an unaware accessory to his father's crimes and the film is about Shang wrestling with the idea of no longer knowing what his life is. Something like that.
    Sounds good as well. Almost sounds like what happened with Captain Marvel.

To Marvel's credit, they have been treating their female characters quite well even before the focus on that became a thing recently (with a few exceptions). Knowing what we know today, I have no doubt if the involve Leiko in the script somehow, she'll be treated with respect.
    Think so as well. I hope Leiko could be that surprise for audiences. They're coming in to see just another Asian martial arts guy, and find out, hey there's a strong Asian female character as well! Said it before, I'll say it again, maybe Leiko becomes the breakout character in this Shang-Chi film!

Charismatic is good. Maybe I'll check out one or two episodes to get an idea. I believe you're talking about Dead Lucky.

Another update: Cinematographer Bill Pope (‘Spider-Man 2’, ‘The Matrix’) has joined the film.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...51210430959616

That's two people now from The Matrix. I wonder if that rumour about Shang Chi being inspired by the film might have some truth to it. Either way this is a win.
    Maybe it can take some cues from the Matrix, but I wouldn't want to see too much wire work. The Kung Fu should look beautiful, but real and gritty. For me, a good example would be the pit fit scene in Sherlock Holmes. Wing Chun really looks on point there:

"I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Here's hoping, bro. Crossing fingers we get a main lead and not just a title card.
    "I am a man of peace."

Maybe it can take some cues from the Matrix, but I wouldn't want to see too much wire work. The Kung Fu should look beautiful, but real and gritty. For me, a good example would be the pit fit scene in Sherlock Holmes. Wing Chun really looks on point there:

The guy also did Baby Driver, which has really great cinematography and the fight scenes were very well done too. Hopefully the editor from that film joins in as well.

when will the casting finally start securing people?

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Surprised Bill Pope will be back working with Marvel again. Pope was hired as Cinematographer for Ant-Man when Edgar Wright was attached but quit in solidarity with him when Wright and Marvel parted ways on the movie.