Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Simu Lu will play Shang-Chi, while Tony Leung will play The Mandarin. Awkwafina also has an undisclosed role.

The cast.

Hmm, I wonder then, if Ironheart, Sword Master, or Agents of Atlas will have any synergy? Riri's book has been featuring the Ten Rings and Shang's in the other two.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-20-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Now, we wait and see if the Mandarin is Shang Chi's father like we all predicted.

real mandarin confirmed shut it all down
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

Holy crap, I didn't expect the Mandarin. Wow. Also is Awkwafina playing Leiko Wu I wonder?

Man! 2021?! Can’t wait as this sounds amazing.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I’ve got to ask, what has Simu Liu been in or what has he been known for. Unfortunately this is the first I’m hearing of him. I wish him luck as the universes new hero and potentially awesome master of kung fu.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    real mandarin confirmed shut it all down
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Holy crap, I didn't expect the Mandarin. Wow. Also is Awkwafina playing Leiko Wu I wonder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Man! 2021?! Can’t wait as this sounds amazing.
    Ha, everyone beat me to it. Alright, so after lots of speculation and discussion, we finally know who's playing Shang-Chi and who Shang's enemy will be. (Will the Mandarin be his father though? No one has directly stated this yet, so I'm still waiting for confirmation). Cool that Awkafina will be a part of this. Part of me definitely feels she'll play Leiko.

As for Simu, hmmm, don't know much about him. He definitely wasn't on our radar in terms of potential actors. Part of me is a little miffed that Ludi didn't get to play this. But part of me is still open to the possibility of Simu. Going to check out some acting clips later.

Alright folks, a Shang-Chi film.....damn, it's real now.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Indeed things have gotten better in the male Asian representation department however having a half-Malay/half-Brit playing a Chinese man in CRA was a misfire as was To All The Boys' lack of Asian paramours was embarrassing.

So did you get in deep in your Capoiera training? My first contact with that style was watching The Mighty Quinn as a kid. A friend of mine whose family is from St.Vincent practiced it for a while but stopped when things got a little too weird. He told me that the deeper Capoiera is often intertwined with Afro-Haitian Voodoo practices. He said he quit not long after one evening where once the people were done with training they sacrificed a chicken and were chanting and playing drums. He's a big dude that played as an O-lineman in the NCAA and I personally befriended him practicing Pekiti Tirsia Kali but he says he was 100% freaked out when that went down.

I personally love Donnie's fusion of Kung Fu and BJJ. I know his application of some of the BJJ isn't perfect, locking legs while going for the choke and such but I never thought I'd see a Kung Fu movie where someone got into a rubber guard, applied arm bars, ankle picks, German suplexes, sprawls...
    Hey Majestic. I only took a year of Capoeira and just got my first belt. I didn't get too deep into it. I definitely didn't experience anything that your friend did. My mestre told me of old masters and street fights, but didn't talk about sacrificing chickens. However, practices like Vodou? I remember a conversation where he talked about something like that during his time practice Capoeira. But I think it's a part that isn't practiced by many practitioners today.
    "I am a man of peace."

Just found this interview. Certainly warming up to Simu. Indeed, his responses in the clip make him a good fit for the role:

- He has had some intergenerational issues with parents. And that's exactly the context you need for a Shang-Chi film. It's a kid not living up to the expectations of his father. C'mon, how many Asians and Asian-American kids have had BIG issues with mom and dad for not living up to expectations?!

- Wants more Asian representation in media.

- Wanted to play a superhero. Granted it was Sunfire or Namor, but he's a geek. That's a check for me!
    "I am a man of peace."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    - He has had some intergenerational issues with parents. And that's exactly the context you need for a Shang-Chi film. It's a kid not living up to the expectations of his father. C'mon, how many Asians and Asian-American kids have had BIG issues with mom and dad for not living up to expectations?!
    If I got paid five cents per Asian Parent Story, let's just say I can quit my job as an a biology adjunct. Most of it will probably come from me.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I’ve got to ask, what has Simu Liu been in or what has he been known for. Unfortunately this is the first I’m hearing of him. I wish him luck as the universes new hero and potentially awesome master of kung fu.
    According the CBR article he's been part works on TV series as Kim's Convenience, Fresh Off the Boat, The Expanse and Yappie.

Also, wanted to say I'm pretty shocked that Tony Leung is a part of the film. Again, not on our radars at all for this film. Loved his work in The Grandmaster and Fearless.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    If I got paid five cents per Asian Parent Story, let's just say I can quit my job as an a biology adjunct. Most of it will probably come from me.
    Ha, been there bro!
    "I am a man of peace."