Some past Marvel Handbook entries:

from
    The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition Vol. 2 No. 11
    (October 1986)

from
    Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition Vol. 1 No. 8
    (July 1991)
    Thanks for providing!!
    So AWESOME to me that the rising and advancing spirit will be introduced to the movie going public post MCU Phase 3!!!

so if a Shang show were to be brought to Disney+, who should be the showrunner? What writers should get involved?

I think Wesley chan and Phillip Wang kind of have that fresh faced energy marvel love with their productions. I would love to see them do it

BANNED

I wonder how they would handle the introduction of Shang-Chi's mother.

Agents of Atlas War of the Realms
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Special Marvel Edition #16 Feb 1974
    "Midnight Brings Dark Death!"
    Shang-Chi now makes his home in Central Park. A gang tries to mug him, with predictable results.
    "Skillfully executed, my brother!" says M'Nai, who watched the whole thing from the shadows. Before Shang-Chi can say anything, M'Nai vanishes.

Shang-Chi remembers his history: Fu Manchu found him in an African village that the British had just raided.
    They were trying to stamp out a biological weapon Fu had created.
    The village chief was ready to kill the scarred, screaming orphan when Fu stopped him.
    Fu pointed out that the child did not cry; his screaming came from hatred, not fear or sorrow, and Fu could use that kind of hatred.
    Fu Manchu put a black hood on M'Nai and raised him alongside Shang-Chi. One day Shang-Chi wanted to look under M'Nai's mask.
    M'Nai refused, and they fought. Their mutual respect made them friends.
    Back in the present, M'Nai meets with Fu Manchu, who orders him to kill Shang-Chi.

Shang-Chi encounters a policeman, who realizes that he's wanted for Petrie's murder (last issue).
    A bamboo tube drops from the roof onto the sidewalk.
    Shang-Chi knows that M'Nai wants to meet him because that was their means of passing notes in school.
    After knocking out the cop, Shang-Chi reads the message: a challenge to mortal combat.
    They meet at midnight at Broadway and Houston. M'Nai attacks with knife, nunchaku, fists, and words.
    The policeman appears with reinforcements, interrupting the fight, but only temporarily.
    M'Nai finds Shang-Chi first and attacks with bo and shuriken.
    They move to a construction site, where Shang-Chi finds a pipe to counter M'Nai's bo.
    Still outmatched, he climbs a crane to evade M'Nai and then realizes his problem:
    "I have never felt the death-power in my limbs tonight! ... I have never been more than the fly, however bravely I buzzed!"
    He can't bring himself to kill his only friend. M'Nai solves his problem for him, though.
    From atop the crane he kicks at Shang-Chi, misses, and falls.
    His cloak catches on the crane's hook. His neck snaps.
    Shang-Chi thinks for a moment about removing M'Nai's mask to see how he is scarred ... but he already knows.

Final issue of the series. Story continues in Master of Kung Fu 17.

Script by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin (co-plot),
    pencils by Jim Starlin (layouts, credited as "artist"), Al Milgrom (finished art, credited as "co-artist"), inks by Al Milgrom

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    One of my favorite old school images of Shang (Been reading the old series on Comixology. There are some anachronisms here and there, but overall, great stuff!)

Shang makes spinning nunchukus just so cool!

After years of being in awe with this page, I finally got to read the original story. This was from the first appearance of the Cat and I gotta this was pretty good. The action was pretty tight, but what really interested me were the subtle elements. Indeed, in this storyline, the bad guys constantly call Shang-Chi a "Britisher." One could definitely sense that Shang felt frustrated. Chinese think that he isn't Chinese anymore but a traitor. Taking that further, Shang could be seen as being just a white British person. A lot of Asian-Americans can relate to that. One may look Asian, but your mannerisms and culture are American. Thus you're not seen as being Asian at all, but just as foreign and white as other Caucasian Americans (as someone who was on the receiving end of these before, it hurts. I know that it hurt Shang too).

Another aspect that showed up in this issue was Shang's usage of the term "deceit and death." I had heard it before, but I finally got it. Shang feels that he's being used and misled by MI-6 just to be a weapon to do some dirty work. Shang knows he's better than that. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, last year Marvel put out

Master of Kung Fu Epic Collection #1 - Weapon of the Soul
    https://www.amazon.com/Master-Kung-F...y_1_1302901354

And it looks like a second book that will continue reprinting the original series is suppose to come out later this year.
    Great stuff. Got this TPB a couple of months ago and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Still, I'm in the process of reading individual issues on Comixology. Me, I like those. It's cool to read the letters section, since some future famous people wrote in.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I loved his story in the 90's revival of Marvel Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I loved his story in the 90's revival of Marvel Tales!
    which story was that?

Another view of Shang playing a prominent role in the upcoming Agents of Atlas title! Nice to see the gold trim in the costume!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Cannot wait.

By they way, just looking at the art from his early appearances compared to now, I’m so glad they gave him a better haircut

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    which story was that?
    Um... now I cant find it along with some other comics? I was organizing my comics about a year ago. And these were comics I've just seen while going through them and two days later they were gone. I couldn't find them anywhere. I thought perhaps I got Shang Chi mixed up with the 90s Marvel Team-up revival but it wasn't there either. I'm pretty positive I hadn't imagined it. I remember being pretty happy about it because I missed the original Shang Chi stuff because I was only a small child at the time. I remember finding the art and the story surprisingly good for an anthology.

so has Shang Chi encountered Mister Negative and his criminal gang yet? Just wondering.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Um... now I cant find it along with some other comics? I was organizing my comics about a year ago. And these were comics I've just seen while going through them and two days later they were gone. I couldn't find them anywhere. I thought perhaps I got Shang Chi mixed up with the 90s Marvel Team-up revival but it wasn't there either. I'm pretty positive I hadn't imagined it. I remember being pretty happy about it because I missed the original Shang Chi stuff because I was only a small child at the time. I remember finding the art and the story surprisingly good for an anthology.
    Are you thinking of Marvel Comics Presents? Shang Chi had a serial in the first 8 issues of the late 80s title.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Are you thinking of Marvel Comics Presents? Shang Chi had a serial in the first 8 issues of the late 80s title.
    No. It was definitely the 90s but maybe it was the 90s version of that? I'll check but I'd be very sad if I lost it or it was taken.