Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    No. It was definitely the 90s but maybe it was the 90s version of that? I'll check but I'd be very sad if I lost it or it was taken.
    CrushingKrisis has put together a lot of reading guides for different characters. Very useful in trying to remember older stories.

https://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-...reading-order/

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    CrushingKrisis has put together a lot of reading guides for different characters. Very useful in trying to remember older stories.

https://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-...reading-order/
    Thank you! That would be helpful.

Good to know that Shang-Chi is still being considered as part of the next phase of Marvel's slate of movies. He fits with Marvel's plan to highlight less famous and more obscure characters like the Eternals:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/03...ack-panther-2/

Rooting for you Shang!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Who do you think will be his villain?

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Zheng Zu.

Shang taking on his father, siblings and their criminal empire seems like a perfect way to start his solo franchise. You have all the inbuilt drama of him fighting against his own family.

They probably need to streamline his family tree a bit though. Cut his number of siblings down like they did for Thor and Black Panther.

Fah Lo Suee aka Zheng Bao Yu and M'Nai (Midnight) are the only two that really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Zheng Zu
    Pavane (please!!!!! )
    Zaran

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Zheng Zu.

Shang taking on his father, siblings and their criminal empire seems like a perfect way to start his solo franchise. You have all the inbuilt drama of him fighting against his own family.

They probably need to streamline his family tree a bit though. Cut his number of siblings down like they did for Thor and Black Panther.

Fah Lo Suee aka Zheng Bao Yu and M'Nai (Midnight) are the only two that really matter.
    Fah Lo Suee is from the Fu Manchu novels. I figure the movie will go the Zheng Zu route, so they would need to at least rename the Fah Lo character if not omit entirely.

Not to clutter up Shang-Chi's thread with some Carol Danvers buzz... but...

I found this choice super interesting, especially given that he's directed Brie Larson 3 times before.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Thrilled to hear Shang Chi getting a movie push. Would be nice to see Leiko Wu and Midnight Sun appear, too, but it's not a deal breaker if they don't appear in the movie. I'll be there, popcorn ready, when the day comes.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Hopefully if Shang's father is involved, he is the real Mandarin. It would be a nice twist and a way to link Shang to the history of the earlier Phases in the MCU.

Lots of fighting needed, but also lots of intriguing character dialogue. Hopefully an Asian love interest.

Alright, step by step baby, a Shang-Chi movie inches closer and closer to being made. Not too sure who the director is. Perhaps the film is going for a more Asian-American tone? If so, that may be the right step. I suggested in the past that a Shang-Chi movie have those deep, poignant moments that one has found in modern Chinese Kung Fu films i.e. Wong Kar Wai's "The Grandmaster." Still, films like that might fly over the heads of most non-Chinese film audiences, so this could be better.

Zheng Zu
    Pavane (please!!!!! )
    Zaran
    Would be nice to see Leiko Wu and Midnight Sun appear, too, but it's not a deal breaker if they don't appear in the movie. I'll be there, popcorn ready, when the day comes.
    Ha, definitely would like to see these characters show up. I think it might surprise a lot of fans to know that Shang's adoptive brother is African (and it fits in a way. There are many African immigrants in China today). Leiko Wu should make an appearance as well. A strong, Asian female spy who is in a relationship with an Asian male is something not seen too often in American films. She has to appear. Zaran is a great choice, though part of me would have liked to see Razor Fist.

As for the main bad guy, yes, it should be Shang's father, Zheng Zu. That father/son conflict is a defining concept of Shang-Chi. If the film just expanded more on Zheng Zu, gave him character, motivation, genuineness, made him badass, and cunning, that's how it could distance itself from Fu Manchu and the ugly past of the Yellow Peril.

Alright, I'm still on board for this. Here's hoping more good news comes down the line for the master of Kung Fu!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Fah Lo Suee is from the Fu Manchu novels. I figure the movie will go the Zheng Zu route, so they would need to at least rename the Fah Lo character if not omit entirely.
    They will probably use the Zheng Bao Yu name or one of her other aliases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Alright, step by step baby, a Shang-Chi movie inches closer and closer to being made. Not too sure who the director is.
    chi

The director made the movie Short Term (Starring Brie Larson) and has been developing a TV show with Black Panther director Ryan Coogler.

If they keep the espionage stuff then I wonder which secret service agency Shang Chi will ally with.

They could use the CIA. Using characters Everett Ross and Sharon Carter as supporting cast members
    They could use Shield/ex-shield members Fury and Maria Hill
    Use MI6 like they did in the comics or they could use the Chinese secret service

Didn't they call Fah Lo Suee by a different name when she showed up in Black Panther some years back? This was also where they changed Fu's name to Han, so this was presumably them testing the waters for using the characters now that they no longer had the rights to Rohmer's novels.

EDIT: Yes, she's called Kwai Far.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Hopefully if Shang's father is involved, he is the real Mandarin. It would be a nice twist and a way to link Shang to the history of the earlier Phases in the MCU.
    That would be damn clever.

I like Shang but have never been a fan. Haven't seen enough, yknow? But I am very interested in this movie and I really want it to happen. Hong Kong cinema isn't a genre that Marvel has touched on, at all, and I'd be thrilled to get a breath of fresh air like this. I used to enjoy that subgenre; Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan and all the rest. Used to watch a lot of original Chinese action movies too, not just the American fare. Been far too long since I got a taste of that.

Not being familiar with the character beyond his appearances in other books, is it safe to say that this would be a more grounded, street level story? We've never seen a street level MCU film, where no one is flying around with sci-fi armor and glowing magic rocks.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.