Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    They will probably use the Zheng Bao Yu name or one of her other aliases.
    chi

The director made the movie Short Term (Starring Brie Larson) and has been developing a TV show with Black Panther director Ryan Coogler.
    Thanks for the heads up bro. Perhaps I'll check out more of this director's stuff.

If they keep the espionage stuff then I wonder which secret service agency Shang Chi will ally with.

They could use the CIA. Using characters Everett Ross and Sharon Carter as supporting cast members
    They could use Shield/ex-shield members Fury and Maria Hill
    Use MI6 like they did in the comics or they could use the Chinese secret service
    If they go the spy route, I definitely think they'll go with S.H.I.E.L.D., mainly due to its popularity already in the MCU. If they wanted to have some ties to Shang's British spy roots, I could see that Clive Reston or Black Jack Tarr would be used as British S.H.I.E.L.D. agents or just British agents on loan to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That would be damn clever.

I like Shang but have never been a fan. Haven't seen enough, yknow? But I am very interested in this movie and I really want it to happen. Hong Kong cinema isn't a genre that Marvel has touched on, at all, and I'd be thrilled to get a breath of fresh air like this. I used to enjoy that subgenre; Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan and all the rest. Used to watch a lot of original Chinese action movies too, not just the American fare. Been far too long since I got a taste of that.

Not being familiar with the character beyond his appearances in other books, is it safe to say that this would be a more grounded, street level story? We've never seen a street level MCU film, where no one is flying around with sci-fi armor and glowing magic rocks.
    Street level all the way, I say. Honestly, I think Shang works better in that situation, facing thugs, henchmen, criminal masterminds, and other martial artists. He gets to show off the Kung Fu there. Him facing off against an Asgardian monster or a space gladiator from the planet Sakkar would be a little too much of a discrepancy.

As an aside, I've been thinking of whether or not the story could focus on Shang's biracial upbringing. Though not brought up too often, those who are half-Chinese, half-something else do go through some identity crises (which a lot of other mixed individiuals go through as well). There are always going to be those moments when you wonder if you're one or the other. There are always going to be those people who say you aren't a real this or that. At times, the sharpest stings come from those on the Chinese side. I bet Shang has had those moments.

So, I think it's a good thing to have an Asian-American director and Chinese-American director at the helm of this. They definitely could bring that sense of which world do you belong in to this movie.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Been reading some of the comments on IGN over the announcement with Shang-Chi. Some posters are giving a vibe of general indifference or just flat out saying they aren't interested at all.

A couple of thoughts on that. Part of me accepts it. Films like "Ant-Man" or "Guardians of the Galaxy" were based on properties that didn't have massive popularity and still turned out to be great films. Furthermore, a film like the Eternals, the latest movie greenlit by Marvel, is definitely based on a set of characters that the casual fan wouldn't know. That could be popular as well.

What gripes me is that those who were against Iron Fist aren't supporting this film. I said it before, but there's no need for Asian-Americans to fight over ownership with Shang like they did with Iron Fist. We own this character already. No need to fight for an Asian guy to play him, because Shang is already Asian. People said that they even though having an Asian Iron Fist would be stereotypical, they'd still support an Asian in that role. Martial arts was a part of the culture, Asians should represent that, getting back the culture, all of those reasons were used. Where are those critics now? Why aren't they hashtagging, linking, and celebrating that we're getting an Asian superhero in an MCU movie? This lack of support for a Shang-Chi film, it's frustrating.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

It's way too early to be worried about a lack of support for Shang-Chi. He's not a well known character to most of the audience so there isn't a lot of hype at the moment. That'll change as soon as a trailer drops.

Yeah I’m old enough to remember when they used to say that about iron man

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Not being familiar with the character beyond his appearances in other books, is it safe to say that this would be a more grounded, street level story? We've never seen a street level MCU film, where no one is flying around with sci-fi armor and glowing magic rocks.
    There will probably be some spectacle as Marvel isn't going to able to sell a movie without some large action set pieces. Some of the stuff Shang Chi can do is borderline superhuman. There is also the whole mystic stuff with his family (dad is immortal, has a army of ninjas, ect)

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    There will probably be some spectacle as Marvel isn't going to able to sell a movie without some large action set pieces. Some of the stuff Shang Chi can do is borderline superhuman. There is also the whole mystic stuff with his family (dad is immortal, has a army of ninjas, ect)
    I definitely expect some solid Hong Kong cinema/Crouching Tiger style action and wire-work. There'll be plenty of badass action scenes. I mean, look at what they did with Daredevil; that hallway fight in season 1 still gets talked about occasionally. It'll just be a different kind of action than what Marvel has given us before.

And I wouldn't be surprised if we get some low level mystic stuff, given what little I know about Shang's mythos. But it'll still be far more street level than anything the MCU has done before (Im assuming). Likewise, the Netflix Defenders had low level mysticism but was still very street level.

Without doubt we'll get the "pillar of light" troupe. I'm not sure if we've had a Marvel movie that *didnt* go there! XD (I know there's been some, Im just joking).

Now, I might be wrong here but didnt Shang have duplication powers for a little bit? I think if Marvel goes "superhuman" that'll be the limit of it.

As for the general audience......all they'll see is the Marvel banner and they'll be sold. But it'll take a trailer before the hype starts because no one in the general audience has ever heard the guy's name. I mean, the Eternals are in the same boat; there's damn little noise about that film because its not a known IP. And aren't they looking for a gay actor for the role or something like that? It's another reach for diversity (if Im recalling that gay thing correctly) but no one is getting loud about it yet because the Eternals aren't on anyone's radar.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fingers crossed to see a brand new MKF comic series as well.

shang deo.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

A couple of important points. For this movie to be successful it must appeal to the Chinese audience. Shang Chi must be played by a Chinese martial artist. If you call some guy the Master of Kung Fu in a movie sold to the Chinese market he must be regarded as a true master. Only 3 guys in China are acknowledged as such, Donnie Yen, Jacky Wu Jing and Max Zhang. Wu Jing is the obvious choice. He has headlined the 2 biggest movies of all time in China and has worked with the Russo Bros. on Wolf Warrior 2.

So all this talk of making Shang Eurasian should be ignored. Co-creator Steve Englehart has already said that that was a decision by then Editor in Chief Roy Thomas and that he himself disagreed with. Thomas believed that the American audience would be unwilling to read about the exploits of a full-blooded Chinese hero.
    Last edited by Mr.Majestic; 03-15-2019 at 02:08 PM.

It’s going to be interested to see where they pitch it. It would play very differently in Hong Kong than Shanghai or the more rural areas

Chinese box office may be business-important nowadays but going overboard to the gatekeepers of that market would be a mistake. trust the creative vision of the director at this point.
    They could still find some supporting roles for "old school" Asian-cinema personalities. I could see Chow Yun Fat playing Zheng Zhu for example (he shouldn't have to look super-old-- he has that longevity elixir, right?). Jet Li could be a good guy mentor. They could do some creative casting for other roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Chinese box office may be business-important nowadays but going overboard to the gatekeepers of that market would be a mistake. trust the creative vision of the director at this point.
    They could still find some supporting roles for "old school" Asian-cinema personalities. I could see Chow Yun Fat playing Zheng Zhu for example (he shouldn't have to look super-old-- he has that longevity elixir, right?). Jet Li could be a good guy mentor. They could do some creative casting for other roles.
    I just heard about the Chinese cut of Bohemian Rhapsody removing all of the gay stuff to satisfy the censors, and was so disgusted I had to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    A couple of important points. For this movie to be successful it must appeal to the Chinese audience. Shang Chi must be played by a Chinese martial artist. If you call some guy the Master of Kung Fu in a movie sold to the Chinese market he must be regarded as a true master. Only 3 guys in China are acknowledged as such, Donnie Yen, Jacky Wu Jing and Max Zhang. Wu Jing is the obvious choice. He has headlined the 2 biggest movies of all time in China and has worked with the Russo Bros. on Wolf Warrior 2.

So all this talk of making Shang Eurasian should be ignored. Co-creator Steve Englehart has already said that that was a decision by then Editor in Chief Roy Thomas and that he himself disagreed with. Thomas believed that the American audience would be unwilling to read about the exploits of a full-blooded Chinese hero.
    Roy Thomas strikes again. Lol.

I would say a "Rush Hour" like movie with "The Raid" style action.
    Last edited by Cville; 03-17-2019 at 09:18 AM.

If you want to get technical, Shang is only quarter-asian. Fu Manchu is half white, in addition to Shang's mom being white.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 03-17-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    If you want to get technical, Shang is only quarter-asian. Fu Manchu is half white, in addition so Shang's mom being white.
    Incorrect.
    Both of his parents are half white.
    Shang is half asian in the comics.
    For the mcu universe they may change this however.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-17-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Anyone seen Sense8? There’s a cop in that who might be good at playing Shang Chi.