All-New Member

Question What's the difference?

Hello everyone!

Could you please tell me what's the difference between these two versions of The Killing Joke:

bak1.jpg

bak 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by johny26 View Post
    Hello everyone!

Could you please tell me what's the difference between these two versions of The Killing Joke:

bak1.jpg

bak 2.jpg
    One is the 20th Ann'y, the other is not?

All-New Member

Seems to be something else... both versions are 2008

Two different printings (as you can tell from the DC logos at the bottom right of each cover)

Later printing (after 2011):

Quote Originally Posted by johny26 View Post
    Hello everyone!

bak1.jpg

bak 2.jpg
    One has be recollored for the 20th anniversary.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The older printings have Batman with the yellow oval around the Bat emblem on the chest of his costume, reflecting what he actually wore in the 1980s comics, whereas newer printings have removed the yellow oval (a visual retcon that I don't like).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    One has be recollored for the 20th anniversary.
    That's what I was voing to say: the colouring work is different.

Fantastic Member

One is the edited version where Commissioner Gordon is painted over so he's wearing fetish knickers and the interior coloring is changed to be less trippy and more realistic. The other one shows that Jim Gordon's swinging cod is as big, if not bigger than Bruce's when flaccid. You get treated to middle aged|grandpa penis in several panels in addition to nude, shot in the stomach Barbara Gordon.

Choose wisely when purchasing. And, yes, I am serious. I got the digital version which features a nude Jim Gordon and I still am unsure how I feel about it. For overall effect and a slight decrease in the inherent sexism of the story, I think the unambiguous showing that The Joker subjected Jim to extreme sexual violence is preferable. However, I do understand that for many male readers it's supremely uncomfortable to see a naked man dragged around by midgets against his will. Or period. It is an intensely creepy visual that the editing to get away from the M/NC-17 rating removes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    One is the edited version where Commissioner Gordon is painted over so he's wearing fetish knickers and the interior coloring is changed to be less trippy and more realistic. The other one shows that Jim Gordon's swinging cod is as big, if not bigger than Bruce's when flaccid. You get treated to middle aged|grandpa penis in several panels in addition to nude, shot in the stomach Barbara Gordon.

Choose wisely when purchasing. And, yes, I am serious. I got the digital version which features a nude Jim Gordon and I still am unsure how I feel about it. For overall effect and a slight decrease in the inherent sexism of the story, I think the unambiguous showing that The Joker subjected Jim to extreme sexual violence is preferable. However, I do understand that for many male readers it's supremely uncomfortable to see a naked man dragged around by midgets against his will. Or period. It is an intensely creepy visual that the editing to get away from the M/NC-17 rating removes.
    It was too pervy. Ten characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post

I had (and sold) a first printing of the original - and was planning on picking up whichever version I see cheap first.

I didn't know the recoloured version was censored though. That's annoying. I'll have to make sure I pick up a printing with the original colouring.