Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What do you think cause Doomsday Clock delays and should it be fixed ?

Honestly for an "Event book" that has very little tie-ins and has EVERYTHING TO DEAL WITH THE DCU...it sure does take a long time to get finished...So lets humor ourselves a bit and ask:WHAT Caused the delays on Doomsday Clock and is there anything to be done to fix it and make the story end sooner than later ?

I know good things come to those who wait, but there's a might limit on patience, right ?

For a story that is stated to DECIDED THE FUTURE OF THE DCU...it sure is taking a while to finish, right ?

What do you all think of this as DC fans and Watchman fans ?

Who knows what has contributed to the delays?

Geoff Johns had many commitments that could easily have delayed when he got any final scripts submitted for the issues; Gary Frank is not exactly a fast artist, and how many pages and how many covers is he completing for each issue?; and even if the story is written and the art is completed, who knows if/what DC itself does that may throw off the production schedule?

As to if anything can be done to reduce the delays, aside from having more of the issues completed prior to publishing issue #1, do you want to let Scott Lobdell and, say, Rob Liefeld complete an issue or two instead?

My guess is it’s taking time to get the story and art “right” or satisfactory for the creatives - since it’s a continuation of a notable, game-changing work with a lot of cachet in the genre and will live long outside the current continuity it’s set in.

Also, like any episodic storytelling (comics, tv series, movie series, etc.) sometimes characters and ideas and themes are developed, discovered, or revealed to the creators by virtue of being immersed in the creative process. Sometimes where you think you’re going to land changes when the characters and situations start speaking to you in ways you did not initially anticipate.

Also, also, there’s the whole line/universe to consider once the story concludes and because they didn’t hit their first target dates, maybe they’re holding off on other things for when the story ends. Although I think the recent news is that we’ll be getting LoSH and JSA sooner rather than later. But, it could affect other plans or even if we get the JSA or Legion sooner, that’s still a good deal of logistics to figure out given their prominence as subplots in the story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    My guess is it’s taking time to get the story and art “right” or satisfactory for the creatives - since it’s a continuation of a notable, game-changing work with a lot of cachet in the genre and will live long outside the current continuity it’s set in.

Also, like any episodic storytelling (comics, tv series, movie series, etc.) sometimes characters and ideas and themes are developed, discovered, or revealed to the creators by virtue of being immersed in the creative process. Sometimes where you think you’re going to land changes when the characters and situations start speaking to you in ways you did not initially anticipate.

Also, also, there’s the whole line/universe to consider once the story concludes and because they didn’t hit their first target dates, maybe they’re holding off on other things for when the story ends. Although I think the recent news is that we’ll be getting LoSH and JSA sooner rather than later. But, it could affect other plans or even if we get the JSA or Legion sooner, that’s still a good deal of logistics to figure out given their prominence as subplots in the story.
    You know one thing that has been bugging me at the moment is that WHEN the reveal the JSA and the Legion of SUperheroes...Will it bring problems as of WHY they didn't intervene earlier than usual to prevent something like this from happening /

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    . . . Although I think the recent news is that we’ll be getting LoSH and JSA sooner rather than later . . .
    Yeah, right.

Like that's actually going to happen!

I'd love to see a reliable news source that has ANYBODY from DC definitely saying that!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yeah, right.

Like that's actually going to happen!

I'd love to see a reliable news source that has ANYBODY from DC definitely saying that!
    Bendis has said that if YJ does well there is a potential that he could bring back the Legion. I know how you would love that!
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Who the hell cares what their excuse is, this is ridiculous, event comics usually are important to the overall world in DC (or Marvel) and yet DC couldn't have made sure the editor(s) have an outline of the continuity and who/what has or hasn't been introduced etc to help the writer out, they couldn't have picked a writer who could reign in any constant rewrites they might be doing or hire a faster artist b/c there is always one out there that is better and faster etc.

I have said multiple times Marvel and DC should not announce event comics unless it is already completed, I don't know why writers, artists, editors etc can make sure most monthly comics come out on time and yet when it comes to event comics, eight times out of ten you can bet something will be delayed.

Tbh, I don't know what they should do to fix this ...I know what I would do, I would root out the problem and would have probably kicked who ever it was off the book (whether they're the ones who pitched for this book or not) or maybe hired another writer, artist, editor or whoever to the team, b/c an extra pair of hands is always helpful.

I know there's been some speculation that publishing is to blame (mostly b/c fans don't want to blame the writer and artist) ...I don't know if that's true, and I don't know enough about publishing to talk about the levels involved, but if it is true and I was a DC higher up, I would have already questioned what the hell is going on.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 01-21-2019 at 01:22 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I don't think it's that complicated: Johns is writing on a technical level that we've never seen before from him so I doubt he's zipping through the scripts. The artwork is also pretty intricate and Gary Frank isn't known as the fastest artist on the planet so that also clearly slows things down.

Does this hurt the book as an "event" comic that is supposed to have huge ramification of the DCU? Certainly. As a work of comics art that should hopefully last beyond the current moment of continuity rejiggering, would it be worth having Johns rush it and having fill in artists taking over from Frank or rushing Frank's immaculate work? Not even remotely.

Frankly, rushing Final Crisis by having tons of artists rush to finish it has really hurt the experience of reading it as its own thing, rather than COIE 3 or whatever it was supposed to be. Like Doomsday Clock, Final Crisis was clearly a passion project for (at least) its author and it no doubt hurts to have the final product compromised by rushing it for publication when, now, reading the seventh printing of it as a graphic novel, the delays and need to get it completed ASAP are entirely forgotten but the compromised art certainly isn't.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

DC doesn't know if they want Doomsday Clock to end with a partial reboot/full reboot or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Who the hell cares what their excuse is, this is ridiculous.
    This! It’s absolutely embarrassing!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Eh, apparently the original Watchmen had similar problems with the schedule. The only thing about the delays that really bothers me is how much longer I have to wait for Batman Earth One Vol. Three.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    DC doesn't know if they want Doomsday Clock to end with a partial reboot/full reboot or not.
    That’s . . . putting it mildly.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Afaik its because of Johns, most likely due to rewrites. Gary Frank was getting **** online about the endless delays and he said it had nothing to do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Afaik its because of Johns, most likely due to rewrites. Gary Frank was getting **** online about the endless delays and he said it had nothing to do with him.
    If that's the case, is it Johns wanting to change what he previously wrote or the editorial side coming back to him after he turned in what he originally wrote and requesting/ telling him he needs to make changes?

At this point one has to wonder if there is even a point or a plan with this series.......
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!